Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed an odd rubbing sound coming from what sounds like the rear passenger tire area. That could be wrong, I suppose, since tracking down noises can be tricky.

Anyway, it's kind of a combination rubbing/squeak, I guess; like a "wheemp-wheemp-wheemp", occuring when I'm going forward only, and at a speed no greater than 6mph.

I have an oil change coming up in the next couple of weeks, so I'll have the service dept. look it over, but I was curious if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
sticking rear caliper? Do you use your emergency brake when parked? Sometimes the cables will stick.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I made a post about this in the mechanical issue forum. Sounds like the same thing that's happening to me. Apparently it's just your rotors from being contaminated with dirt oil etc the dealership sanded my pads down a bit and the noise went away for a week or so now it's back. The noise also only occurs when I'm moving slowly

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the same sound coming from the rear passenger area - it only happens when I hit a light bump or small pothole...'wheemp' 'wheemp'...It began this morning with the cold weather [26 degrees today]. I am suspicious it could be the spare tire under the rear passenger side. Maybe it is rubbing up against something when I go over a small bump in the road.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I found the culprit to my squeeking sound. It was the rear passenger seat. I folded it down and the squeek was gone. It was not fully locked into place. Squeek is no more.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give that a shot, thanks.

I do use my hand brake all the time, and not just for parking. I also use it at red lights.

I'll mention it, just to be safe, during my next oil change.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if the sound speeds up or slows down in conjunction with the speed of the vehicle then it is wheel related. Check the brakes for abnormal wear, jack up that side of the car and spin the wheel to see if you can hear the sounds or what might be similar, if so you may have a faulty wheel bearing issue.

I know that right now when I am driving I am hearing something coming from the right rear but I have yet to check it out. But from the sounds of it I believe it maybe the wheel bearing in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts