Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought my Sport into the dealer for the first time on a warranty issue. Driver's side door hinge had worked itself loose. Fixed in less time than it took me to get myself an espresso. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wow. This car is such a piece of CRUD! I'm trading mine in for a Mini right away! LOL NOT

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My car had the same issue. It was the door catch between the hinges. Makes a horrible popping sound when the door is fully open. I threadlocked that SOB and cranked it with an allen key.

DONE.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
thanks "Rev" for posting a POSITIVE dealer experience. good to hear, for sure.

I have a couple minor issues that I'm sure my FIAT Studio will correct the issues to my satisfaction when I take it in for my next service at 8,000 miles.

thanks again! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the same issue, only on the drivers side. It is a bit disappointing that Fiat/Chrysler's Mexico plant can't seem to affix a door correctly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BlueEr, I had it too. They issued a TSB on it and it literally took a couple of minutes for them to fix. Easy as pie :). Agreed about the quality issues coming out of Mexico, though. Luckily, the half dozen of my issues have been on the surface, and hopefully will stay that way

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car had the same issue. It was the door catch between the hinges. Makes a horrible popping sound when the door is fully open. I threadlocked that SOB and cranked it with an allen key.

DONE.
I probably could have fixed it myself, but my dealer has a great espresso machine and isn't very far away. I pass by on my way to visit my mother.

On a slightly different track, I wonder if the dealers are doing a preemptive repair on all the units that were built before the issue was discovered? I pointed out to the sales manager that the driver side door on a unit on the showroom floor was already showing signs of loosening.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I notice a lot of body panel misalignment with the new cars sitting in the lot. The gaps between panels and doors is astonishing.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

DONE.
I tightened mine also when it made that awful sound. You use "loctite" fluid?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I notice a lot of body panel misalignment with the new cars sitting in the lot. The gaps between panels and doors is astonishing.
The cladding on the rocker panel, below the door on the Sport? Took my dealer a few tries to fix mine. First replacement part was warped but second was good to go. They come unpainted so it had to be painted to match. They have 8-9 pins that line up with holes in the car in addition to double-sided sticky tape.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I had the same door problem. Since my tools consist of a hammer, some duct tape, and a putty knife, I took it to my to my brother, who has more tools than a service department at any dealership. Fixed in about 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I have the same issue, only on the drivers side. It is a bit disappointing that Fiat/Chrysler's Mexico plant can't seem to affix a door correctly.
I think you are mistaken about the source of the problem. The hinge design is garbage. Garbage In, Garbage Out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you are mistaken about the source of the problem. The hinge design is garbage. Garbage In, Garbage Out.
They seem to have affixed the passenger side correctly on everyone's. I have only heard of people complaining about this happening on the driver's side. So, the blame lies with the people who affixed this part.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Mine was loose too. Just tighten it. Someone in the Fiat plant needs a talking too. I should check the passengers side too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When the dealer fixed mine, the bolt was removed, 'Lock-Tight' was applied and the bolt re-installed.

Was told that the problem was only with the driver side door. Maybe a robot needs to be 'spoken to'?

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
I notice the metal will flex, around bolt, bracket area, when you open the door. That could be loosing the bolt. I should go and get some Lock-tight and apply it to the bolt. The passenger side was tight. These brackets, have been on all make cars for years. Never seen one come loose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts