Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently learned of a stretch of roadway 12 miles long in Southeast Ohio that is similar to "The Tail of the Dragon" in TN & NC.

I am thinking of looking for some more fun roadways in the Hocking Hills Region and maybe making a day trip of it. From what I have heard, there are some FUN roads in that part of our state, so it shouldn't be hard to put together a day drive.

Anybody interested in Joining me can post below "I'm Interested!" The last Saturday of May, the 27th, is the only weekend available for me until mid-summer, so that is the day I am going to go. I should also say, though it should be obvious, this is just me going for a drive in Southeast Ohio and inviting any of you who want to join me to do so. This will not be an organized event like "FOTD" is. It may become that in the future (I am thinking it would be a LOT of fun in the fall), but this initial drive will be just that, a Saturday Drive.

I am in the Columbus area, but we could pick a place to meet up if people from other parts of the state are interested in joining me.

I am going to post this on multiple forums, just to get more exposure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have laid out a tentative route that will cover the top 5 fun routes to ride according to MotorCycleRoads.com, and in the traversing from one to the next, we will hit portions of other rides that fall further down the list. Trying to get the top 5 all in one ride makes for about a 7 hour drive. With an hour and a half to and from for me (and longer for some others) I am trying to keep it no longer than that. Add an hour for lunch and fuel in the middle of the day, and it will easily be a 12 hour day or longer for some of us. Which is why I am also trying to lay it out in such a way that midway through the day, our mid day stop could be a place convenient for people to head home mid day or join in mid day.

I am creating a Google Map with the various routes we will drive, and I will put together "May 27 Drive Part 1" and "Part 2" maps once I have identified a good place to eat lunch. I will, of course, share links and make them available as soon as I have them nearly complete.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.. We are one week away. I have not tried to promote this heavily or push anything, but I would love to know if you plan on coming... More so I know if we should wait for someone than anything else.

We are going to meet at The Muddy Boot Bar and Grill located at 2290 Old River Rd, Zanesville, OH 43701 between 8:30 and 9:00 AM. My intention is to leave promptly at 9 AM and follow the routes as noted on THIS GOOGLE MAP The morning portion should end around noon at Geri's Pizza located at 44475 Marietta Rd, Caldwell, OH 43724.

The afternoon portion is on the same Google Map linked above, and will start at Geri's Pizza. My current plan is to head out for the afternoon portion around 1 PM, but we will play that by ear as the lunch crowd may cause that to be a later...

If you know you will be there, please just leave a note here or PM me and let me know you'll be there. So far, I know for sure there will be three cars there, though, the number will be nine if everyone who has thus far indicated they would come actually do come out. ANYONE is welcome to join us NO MATTER WHAT YOU DRIVE!! This not a Fiat only event, or an Abarth only event (my Fiat is a 500 Sport). It is simply a FUN all day drive in Southeast Ohio. Two of the cars that I know will be there are a FoST and a Subaru, so come out with whatever you've got and bring a friend if you'd like to!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Paul,

Your concept is great. :)

Brett Melencon organizes a drive based at Townsend, TN each April and October, around drives on the Tail of the Dragon and other roads. He set-up a Facebook page and gets attendees from the blue and the red forums. Look-up 'FOTD Facebook' to see it.

Having attended six out of eight times, I suggested additional locations, but have not heard back about that idea. The location is great, yet redundant in my view.

i suggested Johnson City, TN, Asheville, NC, and Natural Bridge, VA.

Although I'm not able to attend your event so soon of learning about it, might you consider other future locations?

Brian :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had not considered doing an annual event or anything, but I might be willing to sometime in the future.

I attended FOTD this year for Saturday's drives and then my daughter and I drove the TOD on Sunday before we headed back to Ohio. I plan to do FOTD every year if possible, as I had a great time! I would love to have an Ohio Valley Regional meet that moves from location to location. There are some beautiful counties in the states surrounding Ohio that would be fun to drive through.

I would enjoy attending a FOTD type of event that moves from place to place in this part of the country, especially in the Fall. But right now, my life circumstances are such that I could not commit to organizing such an event. Between trying to get my daughter through HS, and a major job change coming in the next six months, right now just is not a good time to take on that type of responsibility. Maybe in about two years...

IN the mean time, I plan to "organize" a few of this type of "Fun Drive" events. Just a day out driving with some friends...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this because a family event came up. You can hardly go wrong finding fun roads in that area, it's my favorite place to play on the motorcycle.

Have fun and be safe!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts