Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting...

I know the recommended period between oil changes is 8K miles. I also know the 500 comes with a sensor that tells you when to change your oil, based on your driving habits.

So, I drive very conservatively and today my warning light came on, saying it's time to change the oil. I have just under 3600 miles on the car.

???

Ryan

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hmmm

If you're close enough to the dealership, I guess I'd take it in and see what they say.

Hope everything works out ok.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine came on too just the other day at right around the same mileage (+/- 3,700). Strange thing is there is nothing in the manual about how to reset the light. Oil looks perfectly clean and level is at the high mark so I'm not too worried but it did give me a good scare when the light came on (I was leaving a light at WOT!).

FYI I'm also a conservative driver but my 500 has seen a few autocrosses, dyno runs and some shakedown testing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is, I already have an appt for Thursday to change it. I wanted to do the first one early. Then the light came on. I'm hoping this means it'll fall under the freebie oil change policy now.

We'll see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
too reset, turn key to on but don't start it, then press the gas petal 3 times within 10 seconds,turn key off, thats it. Mine also came on at 3700 miles

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an Abarth so I dont know if the oil life is different from the standard 500 but I have done two oil changes, one at 5000km and one at 10000km. I did not reset the oil life either time just to see how far the computer would let me go before an oil change. My oil life indicator just went on now at 12687km.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Interesting...

I know the recommended period between oil changes is 8K miles. I also know the 500 comes with a sensor that tells you when to change your oil, based on your driving habits.

So, I drive very conservatively and today my warning light came on, saying it's time to change the oil. I have just under 3600 miles on the car.

???

Ryan
Although you can drive it "no more than 8k", the recommended change is between 4-6k. I also drive conservatively, and my light started at about 3.7k. I changed it at 4k.

Our LS changed it free-of-charge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Although you can drive it "no more than 8k", the recommended change is between 4-6k. I also drive conservatively, and my light started at about 3.7k. I changed it at 4k.

Our LS changed it free-of-charge.
I'm also a pretty conservative driver, and mine came on for the first time at 7700 miles. I wonder why some people's lights come on so early, and others so late?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have had 3 oil changes so far, all at the 8,000 mile mark. If I had to guess the computer is judging your driving based on how much the RPMs fluctuate. Ie city or highway. I drive about 95% highway.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I'm also a pretty conservative driver, and mine came on for the first time at 7700 miles. I wonder why some people's lights come on so early, and others so late?
SM may have answered that question ~ type of driving. I don't know about you, but I live in the heart of the city. My 'cento does a lot of stop-n-go.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would change the oil at 8,000 or whenever the light comes on for the duration of the warrantee (don't want to mess with that). After that I would change it at 8,000 miles using synthetic no matter what kind of driving you do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
SM may have answered that question ~ type of driving. I don't know about you, but I live in the heart of the city. My 'cento does a lot of stop-n-go.
And mine spends a lot of time on the highway (daily commute is about 20 minutes suburban roads with a few stop signs/lights, 50 minutes highway). So yeah, maybe the rpm thing is right.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The oil change interval is:

1) Not more than 6 months, no matter how few miles are driven. Many people seem to forget this one.

2) Not more than 8,000 miles.

3) When the oil change indicator comes on. This can be for a 4,000 mile or an 8,000 mile interval based on how the car is driven. The computer decides if the earlier oil change is needed. The indicator comes on 250 - 300 miles prior to the oil change being required.

To maintain your warranty, you need to do changes based on all 3 things. And have documentation.

I understand that 2013 Abarths extend the time interval out to 12 months, but have not seen this in writing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts