Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I changed my oil at 1800 miles with mobil 1 and a fiat filter. Now at 3667 miles my light came on saying I need an oil change. I did not know there was a service reset needed. I checked the oil and it was right where it needs to be and it looked pretty clean obviously.

Obviously there is no actual sensor in the oil measuring oil quality. I would assume then that the ecu monitors driving style and time. I drive pretty lethargically on the way to and from work. There is a metered ramp that I use for an Italian tuneup once a tank but I would think the 99% of the time trying for mpg would mean the ecu would think the driving is not very strenuous.

I would also think that the car sitting for a month at the port waiting for the store to open and take delivery would not impact the ecu since it would only register ignition run time.

Has anyone else had the oil change message under 4k miles?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I recall reading several people mentioning this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dealer told me that the oil in the car at delivery is "break in oil" designed for the new engine, and that it was not recommended to change it before 8k miles. No idea if that is an accurate statement of Fiat's way of saving money on its 3 year free maintenance plan. I only have 500 miles so far, not sure what I am going to do regarding oil change and type of oil

·
Registered
65 Posts
good point but i just cant do it 4000 mile i,m change it 8000 is just a lot to me . at 36000.00 u only change oil 4 times . i do not think thats good it just me not the car i,m nut with some thing like that :D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My dealer told me that the oil in the car at delivery is "break in oil" designed for the new engine, and that it was not recommended to change it before 8k miles. No idea if that is an accurate statement of Fiat's way of saving money on its 3 year free maintenance plan. I only have 500 miles so far, not sure what I am going to do regarding oil change and type of oil

BMW did the same thing when they inacted their free maintenance plan.

Oil changes were magically up to 15,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's the filters that break down

good point but i just cant do it 4000 mile i,m change it 8000 is just a lot to me . at 36000.00 u only change oil 4 times . i do not think thats good it just me not the car i,m nut with some thing like that :D
A mechanic at a well respected local shop told me that the new engine oil's don't break down at 3-4000 miles, but the filters do!

So, maybe what we all need to do is buy better filters and install them.

Can you change a filter and not the oil ?

Who makes the best oil filters?
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got back from the dealer and talked with their head Fiat Tech.

The engine monitors viscosity of the oil. It is crucial that the weight specified in the manual is used. Since the oil is pumped into the valves to actuate the variable timing control it must be the right weight oil. If the wrong viscosity is used the car will not even start. I used Mobil 1 in the weight indicated in the manual so that should not be the issue.

The way to reset the oil service light is:
1. Turn key to on (do not start)
2. Push throttle to the floor 3 times in under 10 seconds.
3. Turn key back to off.

I think this is typical of chrysler products which is a little weird.

Break in oil???? That sound like a bunch of fooey and dealer BS.

Also...you are allocated 4 oil changes as part of the "Free" oil change service from Fiat. They do not care if you take all 4 oil changes in 1000 miles but you only get 4 free.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I called it! Someone asked me how to reset the oil change thing and I guessed. My dodge is the same way. the 3 time pedal stomp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, the light and oil change message first came on at about 3700 miles. I asked the dealer how to reset the light and he wouldn't tell me but said bring it back in 3000 miles for another free service. So much for that first oil change at 8000 miles. Seemed to be too long anyways.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Yes, the light and oil change message first came on at about 3700 miles. I asked the dealer how to reset the light and he wouldn't tell me but said bring it back in 3000 miles for another free service. So much for that first oil change at 8000 miles. Seemed to be too long anyways.
My dealer asked if I'd like them to reset mine since it came on at 472x or so, I said no change it and they did, not sure why yours didn't for you. The reset is turning the car on but not cranking it and pressing the throttle three times quickly I believe, it's obviously in the manual but I am pretty sure this is it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
8K for an oil change interval is insane unless you are running full synthetic... (and even then I would change it)

The oil will last that long, but the additives would have long burned out and the filter would be seriously contaminated...

I put the 8K interval (**** - anything over 6K) right up there with not changing the plugs till 100K... sure, you can do it, but dont expect the car to last as long. (and, FWIW.... the spark plug tips will easily last to 100K... the porcelain part (white part) will start to break down as soon as 40K.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the same warning with the orange triangle and then the message displayed that I needed to change oil but I only have 3700 miles on it and the dealer originally told me 8000 miles! The only problem is having it done as I work during the week and I don't believe the service dept is open on Saturdays.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I got the same warning with the orange triangle and then the message displayed that I needed to change oil but I only have 3700 miles on it and the dealer originally told me 8000 miles! The only problem is having it done as I work during the week and I don't believe the service dept is open on Saturdays.
It's just your car's computer notifying you that it has determined with the type of driving you are doing that you need to have your oil changed at 4,000 miles. The onboard computer will turn on the 'oil change' message based on what its algorithm has determined is the type of driving you do. The message displays approx 500 miles before either 4,000 or 8,000 miles based on whether the computer has determined heavy or light duty driving. Of course, maximum is still 6 months or 8,000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got the oil change message at 3,800 miles. I got the oil changed at the associated Chrysler Jeep dealership. I noticed on the invoice that I have 9 more free changes and the sticker has me returning in July with approx 11,000 miles. I will change the oil on my own cost at 8,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Got back from the dealer and talked with their head Fiat Tech.
Also...you are allocated 4 oil changes as part of the "Free" oil change service from Fiat. They do not care if you take all 4 oil changes in 1000 miles but you only get 4 free.
Where is the fine print that says only four free?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just got mine changed when the light tripped at 3700. They did some technical bulletin items while they were at it like the spear tire wrench, door hinge locktite, and a computer update. None of that was on the receipt though. The receipt said that this was the 8,000 mile oil change (at 3740 miles) without any mention of how many free oil changes were left. Another customer was there to get their "one free oil change" that the salesperson had offered them. I told them their car came with free maintenance and they seemed surprised.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
The car will prompt you when the oil needs changing. Mine was at 3,700 mile too. I have no idea why you would need to change it any early. So much for the wasted Mobil 1!!!!!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The car will prompt you when the oil needs changing. Mine was at 3,700 mile too. I have no idea why you would need to change it any early. So much for the wasted Mobil 1!!!!!
A lot of opinions out there but I still think 3700-4000 miles is a bit late for a first oil change. 8,000 seems very late. By the time the long term effects of changing oil at that cycle are realized the car could have over 100k miles and it will be long out of warranty. I am cynical since I know the 8000 mile interval reduces the cost of the free maintenance plan for FIAT-Chrysler.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts