Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2500 miles on it . i was going to do a oil change at 3000. but i was told no 8000 thats a lot do i do it what do u think

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think that long ago, 3000 miles may have made sense. But with todays oils and engines, changing that often is a waste of time and money. It doesn't hurt anything to change it more often, but why do it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The Fiat maintenance schedule that came with my car said to change the oil at 13,000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. The Chrysler dealership I bought it from started calling saying I needed to change the oil not even 3 months after buying the car. I hadn't even hit 4000km at the time. They're just trying to make money, can't blame them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so hum i just think 8000 mile to may may be its me but i think i will change it at 3000. do u know if the oil is 5w20 . they say they only have one kind for it is this so

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I wouldn't change it at 3000miles. I work for Mercedes-Benz Canada, and a number of our vehicles don't require their first oil change until they reach 20,000km (12,000 miles). I change the oil in my 98 Volvo myself every 6000km or so because it's an older engine with high mileage. These new engines don't require oil changes in such short intervals. It's such a waste.

unless you're just a troll...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I change the oil in my 98 Volvo myself every 6000km or so because it's an older engine with high mileage. These new engines don't require oil changes in such short intervals. QUOTE]

Azzurro - Do you have any experience with these "high mileage" oils on the market? Is there any benefit to them. I also have a high mileage 2nd car, and continue to use "regular" dino oil, but have been contemplating using a high mileage oil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Modern machining technology all but eliminates the metal burrs that flaked off 20th century engines and modern synthetic oils take a long time to break down. Modern filters are much more effective as well.

No need to change the oil early unless you are driving hard in very very harsh conditions. Some manufacturers have oil change intervals as high as 10-12K miles. My 2003 MINI was 10K mile interval. OTOH some manufacturers worry about having to service warranties on high performance cars and have earlier intervals-my CSRT8 is 3K mile intervals. At 9.5 quarts of Mobil 1 that is really expensive, even DIY. Once it was out of warranty I went to 5K miles.

Reactions: Aiello11

·
Registered
160 Posts
I change the oil in my 98 Volvo myself every 6000km or so because it's an older engine with high mileage. These new engines don't require oil changes in such short intervals. QUOTE]

Azzurro - Do you have any experience with these "high mileage" oils on the market? Is there any benefit to them. I also have a high mileage 2nd car, and continue to use "regular" dino oil, but have been contemplating using a high mileage oil.
Higher mileage car engines have opened up and there can be more blow-by which in turn pollutes the oil with burned hydrocarbons and micro-grit. Valve trains and big ends loosen up a bit and require heavier lubrication. So the high mileage oils have increased viscosity to close up the gaps some and provide a thincker oil layer to handle the increased friction. Best to change oil more often in older cars like Azzuro does, to keep the gunk from building up in the oil, whether or not using the high mileage oils.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oil change light back on 3500 mile i think i will change. light 3 times must mine something

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I'm thinking of changing mine every 5K with Mobil1 and doing a tire rotation at the same time. just a lot easier to remember what to do and when. every 5K interval: oil and filter change, tire rotation.

I'm old....I NEED 'easy to remember'! :p

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I did my first change at 2300. In my book only the first one or two are very important. After that I have no problem with 8k intervals, which is also decent for the tires.
You'll have to drive with the caution icon on your instrument cluster, if you can't reset the computer when you change the oil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I cannot find the instructions to reset the service icon in the owners manual, but isn't it depressing the gas pedal 3 times in 10 seconds while the ignition is in the On position?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have read a billion, yes 1,000,000,000,:rolleyes: pages on forums about changing oil. From what I can deduce, there isn't a consensus and you can change the oil whenever you want to because it's your car. Change it once a week or never because it is your car, but if you follow the book the manufacturer can't hold you responsible.
So, now with that, let's discuss octane levels...

·
Registered
211 Posts
my policy for the past 20 or so cars that i have owned, first change at 500-1000 miles, change every 5k after. fiat is saying every 4k so i will go with that. use a high quality full synthetic like mobil1 or royal. remember, this is a engine u rev to get power with, your not driving under 4k rpms all the time... cheap insurance...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My "have engine oil changed" message came on today. I just hit 6000km, or about 3700 miles. Everyone seems to be getting this message at about the same mileage. I read that depending on how the car is driven, this message will appear at either 3500 to 4000 miles, or 7500 to 8000 miles.

The Fiat service schedule that came with my car indicates that the first scheduled maintenance should be at 13000km (8000 mile) or after the first six months. Since I'm not even half way to 13000km, that scheduled maintenance is only 2 months away. I just reset the light and am going to take the car in for it's first oil change in 2 months. At the rate I'm driving, my mileage then should be about 9000km (5600 miles).

I'm not sure if the service light will appear again soon or if I reset the cycle and won't see it for another 6000km.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just a thought. This engine relies on oil flow more than any car ive seen. Take a look at how the multiair engine works, lots of hydralic actions regarding the valve train. No way i would go over 4k on an oil change....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts