Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well would you look at that. I did see where it was when I was poking around at the dealership, but I didn't know it wasn't a standard filter. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think $30.00 for an oil filter is pretty steep. My Mini used a similar cartridge and I was eventually able to order filters from Mann or Mahle at a reduced price. Hopefully they will produce filters for our cars.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
but as I said in another post, maintenance is covered for the first 36K, so I'm not too concerned about the cost until I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT! :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
True, F500 but for anyone interested in changing their oil more often then every 8K miles, it is a concern. I agree with Joe in Dublin. I'm sure there will be more cost-effective alternatives available in due time. Until then, I'll just consider it a good investment in my car's longevity.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
UPDATE: as of August 1st, MOPAR dropped the price of the FIAT Oil Filter from $30.00 to $7.50. :eek:

now THAT'S more like it! :D
Much nicer, $30 seemed a bit on the high side for only a filter and I am not sure how this one compares to what I'm used to seeing...side note, I don't know what type of oil the dealership is using but I prefer full synthetic so once they finish there 8 changes I make a change of my own unless someone has info that I should be aware of that changes that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok... I got to ask. Where are you finding these Mopar parts specials. I've Googled everywhere and cannot find it. Link Please

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
.... I don't know what type of oil the dealership is using but I prefer full synthetic so once they finish there 8 changes I make a change of my own unless someone has info that I should be aware of that changes that.
I can speak for my dealership and they use Pennzoil Synthetic. Chrysler has a contract with Shell-Pennzoil to use their products, although some dealerships will use what they want.

while I've used Mobil1 for years in everything from Toyotas, Hondas, Jeeps, Dodges and a smart car, I'll go with the flow and let them put Pennzoil in it. I figure thats more than likely what was in it from the factory so I'll just continue it. :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Ok... I got to ask. Where are you finding these Mopar parts specials. I've Googled everywhere and cannot find it. Link Please
68102241AA

Call around for prices.

NOT a 'special'. its the MOPAR OE List Price. if a dealer is charging MORE, then you had better have a talk with them.

ONLY $7.50 as of August 1st.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, F500. That is more like it. At $7.50, I'll buy all my filters from Mopar or the dealer (if they honor the price). My thoughts are to have the dealer do the free oil changes every 8K miles. 3K miles after each free oil change, I'll do my own oil changes and put in Mobil 1 which I will leave in for 5K miles until my next free oil change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GotFiat, I respect your choice to wait 8K miles between oil changes. That may be perfectly fine and make no difference in the longevity of your engine. I would even be more inclined to accept the 8K interval if the dealers were using synthetic oil (my dealer uses regular Dino oil). On the other hand, what IF waiting 8K miles between oil changes using regular Dino oil DOES affect the longevity of your engine? Chances are any ill effects will surface AFTER our warranty has expired. At approximately $35.00 per Mobil 1 oil change, I would rather KNOW my oil is sufficiently lubricating the engine. Plus, it gives me another reason to tinker with the car :).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
1 more great reason to lease, drive it like you stole it for 3 years and then give it back and get another :p

Thank god i have to give my GTI back, its starting to fall apart.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I think synthetic is the recommended oil, so I would think that the dealers would use it. it may not be Pennzoil, but at least they should be using some brand of synthetic.

if you want to use your own brand during the free maintenence period, I would just supply your own oil when you take it in. yea, sure......you're paying for the oil but at least you're getting what YOU want in your car and getting the filter and labor free. for those who prefer a specific brand that the dealer doesn't use, this should work for you.

with the recommended oil changes at 8,000 miles, I can't believe anyone would use 'dino oil'. synthetic is the ONLY way to go. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts