Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an intake on the way and decided to pull my competezione filter out and put the stock one back in (it will be for sale btw). As I pulled out the filter I noticed it was oily on the bottom. I looked at the bottom of the air box and it had pools of oil sittin there! :confused:
I put the filter back in and left it like that so they can see this with their own eyes at the studio....

Heres some pics of what I found

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car
Technology Magenta Material property Electronic device Automotive exterior
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Trunk
Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
182 Posts
RedRum, I am curious, is this an "oiled" filter element? You know, foam with a light spray of filter oil? I have had the situation you describe in the past when using an aftermarket air filter that requires that a special oil be sprayed on the filter. The leaves are interesting, although not as interesting as the rat's nest (literally) that I pulled out from under the airbox on our Lexus IS 350 last year. My wife saw something on the news about rats coming out of the canyons and seeking shelter in garages and automobile engine compartments due to an abundance of rain. I blew her off for a couple of weeks until she got real insistent about me checking the car. I pulled the engine cover and voila, a huge rats nest, including the remains of a chewed up trap I had set earlier and had disappeared.
Rats and wife 1 - Me 0

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol! The rats always win!

But to answer your question, no, its definately engine oil. I checked it out. I installed this filter a week after I got the car. It wasn't oily to begin with.... Either was the new filter.... This looks like some serious blow by imo. But I'm speculating really. That's why I left it in so they can look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interesting RedRum. I will check my airbox just to see if anything (rats, pythons, leaves or oil) are present :) I would suspect some blow by past the rings in a new motor until the piston rings seat, but it should not be much. Many would argue that the machining tolerances and precision honing that are used in modern engines require little if any break-in. The jury is out on that for me still. One other note is that Fiat (and many manufacturers) refer in the manual(s) to a special oil being used during engine break in and that some oil consumption is normal. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That type of air filter (True Flow foam) is oiled from the factory. Just like a K&N filter, it is meant to be periodically cleaned and oiled. The residue you see in your airbox is almost definitely excess oil from the air filter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That type of air filter (True Flow foam) is oiled from the factory. Just like a K&N filter, it is meant to be periodically cleaned and oiled. The residue you see in your airbox is almost definitely excess oil from the air filter.
Seriously? I don't agree. I can understand a little residue, but this is oil pooled up in excess. And the oil they use for the filters is not that heavy a weight. As much as I would love this to be the case (I really don't want it to be my motor), I don't believe it is. But I'm no expert. I have worked on cars and motorcycles for 12+ years now, but I learn new things everyday... I suppose I could do a compression/leak down test and get my answer, but I have an appt with the studio at 10am tomorrow. I'll wait and see what they have to say. If nothing comes up then I'll do the testing myself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol! I didn't start this thread to argue, just to inform and warn. The car is under warranty so I don't understand why I would get charged a diagnostic fee. They may indeed blame it on the filter. That is when I'll do my own investigation and post the results here. I may be wrong, I may not be. But for you to be sure of it is ridiculous. You can't diagnose something over the Internet.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Not trying to argue with you, but the hose from the engine that would allow the oil vapors into the airstream is teed inline between the airbox with the filter in it and the engine intake manifold, or whatever does that job on this particular engine, so that the vapors, oil would be sucked into the engine without ever seeing the filter element. It sounds like you have already made the determination that it isn't the filter oil even if the dealership tells you the same thing we have. If that's the case why not just ignore what we suggest and not post a reply? There's enough contentiousness here already, lol.:)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
When your air flow sensor throws a check engine light, it's the filter. These oiled filters wreaked havoc on my Volvo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone has their own opinion. Thats what this forum is for, discussion. You guys may be right... Maybe I'm over thinking it, or maybe not. But its better to be safe than sorry. Its under warranty so I may as well get it checked out. Besides there are other issues that need tending to, as mentioned in other threads. If the dealership tells me its the filter then what can I say? I can't argue with them, it'll get me nowhere. As its doing here also... Lmao!

So with that said, if you don't like what I'm saying, or you think I'm an idiot for not taking your advice, so be it. Don't waste your time being quarrelsome. The only thing I said is its ridiculous to diagnose a car with certainty over the internet. If I hurt anyones feelings I'm truly sorry...

Here's a tissue, lmao!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Put your original filter back in before going to the dealer. As for the tissue box, you're the one who opened it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
*Update*

I got my car back today from Fields Fiat. Here are the answers I received from the service advisor:

1. Oil in my air box: Is normal. It is motor oil! It depends on the driver and how hard the driver pushes the vehicle. But it is normal for the Fiat... It will eventually be sucked back into the motor. They also checked the PCV for any malfunction and found none.

2. Poor gas mileage: Due to me carting around 4 people in the car, my mileage suffers. I read somewhere that for every 100lbs you lose 2% in mileage.

3.Slow Clock: They replaced the console with a brand new unit.

4. Sluggishness: Its a 1.4 engine. Its not going to go very fast...

5. Bad windshield wiper on pass side: It worked fine. No problems.

6. USB not working: Works perfectly now.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
*Update*

4. Sluggishness: Its a 1.4 engine. Its not going to go very fast...

I wouldn't count on that working when one of the 'sworn to serve and protect' is writing you that ticket, LOL!:D

Good deal on getting everything sorted out.;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts