Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and can help before I start throwing money at this problem. I have been leaking oil and it looks as if it dripping while running from the bottom of the brake booster vacuum pump (I believe that's its name). I have tried changing the gasket/seal but it did not fix the issue. Has anyone had the pump itself leak and need to be replaced or any other ideas?

Thank you in advance

Gary

·
Registered
976 Posts
Here is a video on changing the vacuum pump gasket. Notice when they remove the air/oil separator at 2:08 (the black box you have to remove to get to the vacuum pump). There's a small stain of oil around the opening the AOS plugs into, caused by a faulty o-ring. Those o-rings are a known leak point and should be replaced whenever the AOC is removed. Fiat sells a replacement AOS for around $50, but you can buy an aftermarket PCV and brake cleaner from your parts store, and pick up the o-ring from the dealer, for around $20. Videos on servicing it are on Youtube, but basically spray/drain oil from the box, dry it off, and replace the o-ring.

Given that video, the pump seal may not have been leaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with a noticeable drip from the bottom of the pump? I'll go ahead and get the o-ring and clean the AOS as you said. Will I need a new PCV you say? I'm just trying to figure out how the oil would get down there that's all, not questioning your knowledge.

·
Registered
976 Posts
No reason I shouldn't be questioned. I'm not there, so am just taking a guess.

There are cars that have had the spark plug wells fill with oil due to that leak. Most shops that are familiar with the 500 replace the o-ring whenever they have a leak in that area so it's hard to tell how many really needed the valve cover or vacuum pump gasket replaced. Personally, I'll be replacing the o-ring every time the AOS is removed.

The PCV is around $10. It won't help with an oil leak, but it's a convenient time for replacement. While you have the box off, clean up the old oil so you can identify if it has continued to leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and can help before I start throwing money at this problem. I have been leaking oil and it looks as if it dripping while running from the bottom of the brake booster vacuum pump (I believe that's its name). I have tried changing the gasket/seal but it did not fix the issue. Has anyone had the pump itself leak and need to be replaced or any other ideas?

Thank you in advance

Gary
Hi Gary, experiencing this same problem as we speak. Replaced the PCV and it was still leaking. Took it in to a shop on Tuesday and had a gasket replaced and today it was still
Leaking and ALOT more. It turns out we need to replace the whole vacuum pump because oil is now inside due to the PCV putting too much pressure in the seal it broke and somehow oil traveled in there. It’s $280 part + labor. Good luck I hope this helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts