Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been noticing a smell of burnt oil inside the cabin of the car. This is sporadic and I notice this after driving the car for about a half hour with the heat on. I had the oil changed at 3700 miles, now at 6100 miles. I have checked oil level and oil color with no problematic observations. I have pulled the plastic engine cover and examined the block and have not seen any oil on the surface. Any thoughts or similar issues?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Just a thought... Were you using synthetic oil during the oil change? If oil was dropped on the exhaust is could take a long time for it to burn off (yes even a couple months). Synthetics have such a high burning point that an exhaust system will take a long time to finally dissipate the spill/fingerprints etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting thread. I've noticed the same thing with my 500c. I check oil level frequently and have noticed no change at all in level. I've gone all through the engine compartment and undercarriage with a flashlight and inspection mirror and see no sign of leaks or drips. I've never seen any sign of visible oil smoke or leakage on the garage floor. When the smell is noticeable inside the car, if I raise the hood and check under there, the smell actually seems less noticeable inside the engine compartment. So far I've refrained from taking the car in as I don't know what a tech is going to do that I haven't done already. If anyone else have noticed this issue please chime in with your observations.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Same here..... Apparently the dealer has not discovered that brake cleaner will kill this problem, quick.

I blame the internal oil filter as it's an ugly process (Very common on older motorcycles.)

Sure is annoying.

Everything else has been great, Fun car!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So did you spritz down the area around the filter cartridge to clean up any residual from the last oil change or do you think it just seeps and weeps around the filter cap? Any weepage in that area would vaporize pretty well since the exhaust manifold/catalyst is so close by. Just look at all the little heat shields they put around the filter cap. Could be that any minute amount that weeps out at this point just vaporizes and the result is a dry looking cap and filter cannister with the vapors ending up getting sucked into the vent intake. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(tpetrillo) I have had the same problem. I have yet to do an oil change. I also have checked for any leaks. But did not find anything. as you said, it happens when running the car with the heat on for about half hour or so. STRANGE!!!!!!! Drove the car to the dealer, while I was running the heat on max and nothing happened, nor did they find anything. I guess time will tell. Good Luck to Us.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To all:
I have noticed that it is perdominate when the heat is running, usually for about a half hour. things that make you go "hmmm". If anyone else is having this issue please speak up. I am wondering if "fiatcare" has noticed this. Wondering when to raise this issue up the fiat flag!!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
On the 500, a smell of petrol/oil in the cabin is usually a sign that a breather pipe's split.
Sounds like you own a EUROPEAN 1.2 liter, which is notorious for doing that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had my 16,000 mile service ( at 13,000) and we could not duplicate the smell as I MA using the AC not the heat. I logged in the issue and will follow up in the fall.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
777 Posts
you can add dye to your oil that shows up under blacklight to find any seeping or cracked hoses. Have the dealer try that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know it's probably not the ideal answer however, I had them change my cabin filter and no more oil smell as of yet. Been a month.

I inspected everything under the hood (As well as the dealer) and found no oil leak/cracked hoses.)

My thought is that is remnant oil burning off from the oil change? I was informed that the dealer has had several cars with the same issue and had a request into the manufacture and should have an answer soon. (Also a month)

Cheers,

C.K.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep us posted. The cabin air filter got changed with service.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Yet another service mention where something gets done beyond only an oil change, that I am aware my dealer does nothing but oil changes when going for the included service, sorry to get off track but I appreciate the mention here as it makes me aware of what I may need to address seeing as the dealer hasn't.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yet another service mention where something gets done beyond only an oil change, that I am aware my dealer does nothing but oil changes when going for the included service, sorry to get off track but I appreciate the mention here as it makes me aware of what I may need to address seeing as the dealer hasn't.
Come on, take a close look at your owner's manual under the maintenance schedule section and you'll see the minimum things any dealer should do based on mileage/months. All that stuff, including replacing wiper blades and brake pads, if necessary, is covered by the 3/36 Maintenance Warranty and the dealer would get compensated for it. Either they don't care or need to be sent to remedial Chrysler/FIAT Service Training.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Come on, take a close look at your owner's manual under the maintenance schedule section and you'll see the minimum things any dealer should do based on mileage/months. All that stuff, including replacing wiper blades and brake pads, if necessary, is covered by the 3/36 Maintenance Warranty and the dealer would get compensated for it. Either they don't care or need to be sent to remedial Chrysler/FIAT Service Training.
Exactly what I thought and felt should be the case, think I have a lazy dealer is all and stating this in order to make certain people take notice, this thread just reminded me and made me more aware. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts