Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
All right... I think I have this figured out. Google on exhaust manifold stud oil leak. You'll find numerous instances of this problem with FIATS, Alfa Romeos, BMWs and Fords and Suzukis. In most modern cars with thin wall cylinder head castings, there exists the possibility that the drilling and tapping for the exhaust manifold studs intrudes on oil passages in the cylinder head. Pressurised oil wicks it's way along the exhaust studs to the outside, evaporates and creates the stinky oil smell. I popped the hood on my 500c and of the 3 studs I could see, 2 had oil on the ends. I'm due to change the oil in 1500 mi. so when I have the plenum/airbox off I'll be able to see the rest of the exhaust manifold studs to see how many are affected. The good news is that it's really not a big deal. Rectification simply involves unscrewing the offending studs, smearing the threads with high temp (red) rtv and reinstalling the studs. Easily doable at the dealership or even by the home mechanic. Check your exhaust manifold studs if you have this problem. I'll bet they're wet with oil.

R

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the info. I did see some additional posts related to the exhaust manifold. I am due for oil change soon.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Recently I have been noticing a smell of burnt oil inside the cabin of the car. This is sporadic and I notice this after driving the car for about a half hour with the heat on. I had the oil changed at 3700 miles, now at 6100 miles. I have checked oil level and oil color with no problematic observations. I have pulled the plastic engine cover and examined the block and have not seen any oil on the surface. Any thoughts or similar issues?
Congratulations, finally a problem that nobody has thought of yet, just in time for winter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I registered just so I could post that I have this problem and have had it for almost a year. I did not notice it until the weather started to change and I used the climate control. My dealer has been told of the issue probably five times now and insists, every time, that there is no oil leak anywhere in my car. However, as soon as my oil change light came on, I checked my oil and where after the last service it was 'full' it was now reading 'half'. The dealer tells me that the car can use as much as a quart of oil in the 4,000 mile interval. Seems like a lot, but okay. I've never owned a new car that 'used' oil.

The last time it was in, they removed the under panel and checked the manifold area, no leaks or signs of burning oil. They said that they 'really poked around in there' looking for signs that oil had leaked. No residue from oil changes, etc.

The cabin filter in my car has not been changed; I have 14,000 miles. I am not sure why they didn't change it or what that has to do with anything other than that they were supposed to have done that by now and didn't.

The smell when the engine is hot is quite pronounced. It does not smell like burning oil from outside, with the hood open, inside the engine compartment. It only smells inside the cabin with the fan running and disappears when the car is put in 'recirc' mode.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm not sure if what I smell is oil or what... My 500 sport is quite new (only 2500 miles), since day one, when I stepped on it I felt a funny smell. At first I thought it might be the isolation in the muffler... or something else "breaking-in". But no, today I still smell this strange odor, again, only when pressing the car on a highway (going fast, having the motor revving 5000rpm even more for a little time, like when overtaking someone). While driving normally in the city I feel no smell at all. Have no idea what could this be! I'll check in detail for oil leaks (can't spot any in my parking spot). The oil level has gone a BIT lower, again, as Fiat (and all other manufacturers) says some oil consumption is "normal", there's no point in going to the dealers based on that minimal level drop (only a few mm in the dip stick).

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
I'm not sure if what I smell is oil or what... My 500 sport is quite new (only 2500 miles), since day one, when I stepped on it I felt a funny smell. At first I thought it might be the isolation in the muffler... or something else "breaking-in". But no, today I still smell this strange odor, again, only when pressing the car on a highway (going fast, having the motor revving 5000rpm even more for a little time, like when overtaking someone). While driving normally in the city I feel no smell at all. Have no idea what could this be! I'll check in detail for oil leaks (can't spot any in my parking spot). The oil level has gone a BIT lower, again, as Fiat (and all other manufacturers) says some oil consumption is "normal", there's no point in going to the dealers based on that minimal level drop (only a few mm in the dip stick).

Protective film burning off a brand new engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am going to the dealership tomorrow to have the exhaust manifold bolts replaced to correct the oil smell. I referenced service star case #S1109000025 to my service rep last week when I had the coolant tank replaced with no additional questions asked. My problem started last year. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Crap

UPDATE:
Got a call from th service representative and he started with I have "bad news". Got that tight throat feeling when I replied 'Out with it". He informed me that while removing the studs from the cylinder head a stud broke off in the cylinder head and thy would have to order a new cylinder head which would take about 5 days to receive. Bummer!! I have a pop as a loaner and will have a vehicle. As I have 19,000 plus miles I will be due for new plugs in about 5,000 miles so I am going to ask them to change the plugs while the head is off and why not ask for a new S belt. Any other suggestions??

The biggest inconvenience is that I am going into the hospital for major surgery next Tuesday and may be in for three days. When I get home I won’t be able to drive for about a week. Now I have to trouble the wife to get the car when it is done. Another level of stress that I frankly don't need. :(

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
UPDATE:
Got a call from th service representative and he started with I have "bad news". Got that tight throat feeling when I replied 'Out with it". He informed me that while removing the studs from the cylinder head a stud broke off in the cylinder head and thy would have to order a new cylinder head which would take about 5 days to receive. Bummer!! I have a pop as a loaner and will have a vehicle. As I have 19,000 plus miles I will be due for new plugs in about 5,000 miles so I am going to ask them to change the plugs while the head is off and why not ask for a new S belt. Any other suggestions??

The biggest inconvenience is that I am going into the hospital for major surgery next Tuesday and may be in for three days. When I get home I won’t be able to drive for about a week. Now I have to trouble the wife to get the car when it is done. Another level of stress that I frankly don't need. :(
Sorry to hear of the extended wait but mostly good luck with the surgery, I have my (I think 31st of one type procedure) routine surgery sometime soon, it is rather easy though, hope you heal up quick and can get back to enjoying your FIAT!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Back from the hospital. Recuperating at home. Got a call yesterday from repair center. The new cylinder head is in and repair in on track for Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil smell in Cabin

Next oil change have the service tech, (or DIY) change the oil and filter and spray the surrounding oil filter surfaces and the exhaust stud bolts with brake cleaner. It's a very tight and awkward working environment in that engine bay, just keep it clean.
That eliminated the oil smell in the cabin, but it needs to be addressed each oil change. (keep it clean)

I've also noticed that going with a synthetic 40 weight oil (Mobil 1 M 5W-40) did a better job of not wicking past the exhaust stud bolts. while also keeping the exhaust tip cleaner. The engine obviously requires a more refined oil to manage all it's internal sofisticated oil systems.

(I drive hard)
After changing the spark plugs I found that it wasn't burning the oil... so it could have been something within the exhaust valve system, (i.e., guides) oil was entering the exhaust system... this was diminished with the Mobil1.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Formula_M_5W-40.aspx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive had my new Abarth less than a week. Today, driving in a cold rain, I noticed a smell like burnt candle wax in the cabin. My HVAC was set on recirculate which I would expect would eliminate outside smells entering the cabin.

I have not yet identified the problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Ive had my new Abarth less than a week. Today, driving in a cold rain, I noticed a smell like burnt candle wax in the cabin. My HVAC was set on recirculate which I would expect would eliminate outside smells entering the cabin.

I have not yet identified the problem.
Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully your issue isn't serious or maybe not an issue at all.

·
Registered
903 Posts
For PennyRacer

A new engine that's not fully broken in and the rings well seated will pass some oil vapors, which sounds like what you experienced, and that is normal. I was also getting it in the first couple hundred miles during deceleration when using engine braking (blow by). Oil vapors such as that are noticeably different than burnt oil as if it had leaked onto a hot manifold.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I test drove two different cars before buying mine and tried to duplicate this - I wasn't able to reproduce the smell. I've been paying attention to mine and haven't noticed anything either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently I have been noticing a smell of burnt oil inside the cabin of the car. This is sporadic and I notice this after driving the car for about a half hour with the heat on. I had the oil changed at 3700 miles, now at 6100 miles. I have checked oil level and oil color with no problematic observations. I have pulled the plastic engine cover and examined the block and have not seen any oil on the surface. Any thoughts or similar issues?
My 500l has just been mot'd and serviced and now has this problem as well taken it back to the dealer's and to two separate independent garage's none of them can find anything wrong hopefully it will eventually stop on its own if it was a small oil spill

21 - 39 of 39 Posts