Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on this forum for awhile (2012), but forgot my login info so just created this new handle. Anyway, I just got my 2012 500c back from the shop last Friday - $1,772.45, not including car rental, tow charge or gas for rental. Basically, 2K all in. I've read other have gotten some compensation but I just didn't have time. I'll make Fiat pay by sharing my experience with the internet and NHTSA! The culprit was the pressure plate. The clutch disc, release bearing, etc. were all in great condition, although I opted to replace these. Like many others, once this fails it causes the Clutch Slave Cylinder to blow so you really have to replace everything. One of the output shaft seals was leaking (not really related to clutch problem) so we replaced it as well. All in all this is totally messed up for so few miles on this car. Millage was 22,800 when it blew. This is a daily local driver. I haven't even needed to have the original brake pads changed yet! I got the run around with the dealer that they'd need to run some "tests" and manual trans. only have a 1 year / 12,000 warranty so I had it taken to my local mechanic. Fiat Roadside assistance charged me $100 since I wouldn't be taking it to the closest dealer 18 miles away, but to my local shop 1.4 miles away. They also didn't use the local towing company that whose fleet you see roaming around. After many failed attempts and two days later this other tow truck guy finally shows up. Needless to say I was shadowing him the whole time and followed him to the shop, even as close as it was. My mechanic's opinion is the transmission is under built and he showed me what a similar sized car's transmission parts looked like. I forgot what model it was from but the release bearing was twice the size and the pressure plate was massive compared to the Fiats. Other than a few rattling parts (driver's window and steering column cover) this has been the only major service I've had to do on the car, but come on, I can't believe Fiat thinks replacing the clutch ever 22,000 miles is acceptable. In hindsight I should of seen about sourcing some aftermarket clutch parts.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
I really would like to know how many Fiat Owners in NA had there Clutch replaced and just paid for it. Not every Fiat Owner is on a Forum or is aware of the Problem. Sorry to hear it happen to you too.

It is a shame IMHO that FIAT fleeces there Customers on Clutch Replacements and does not step up and resolve the Problem since this Problem has been around since 2007 when the Car came out in the EU.

Fix it again Tony is alive and well.:D:D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yeah, I would like to know an exact number as well. My dealer has only seen two come in since they opened, so it can't really be as widespread as people think. It just gets a lot of attention on here, but it is obviously a problem that's happening to enough people that it should be looked at by Fiat.

·
Registered
518 Posts
it's really bs on Fiats' part. They're alienating a whole new generation of drivers that will never consider buying another Fiat in their lifetime. FC should really be FDC for Fiat Doesn't Care

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Sorry, for your issue. Most manufactures, have the same policy, on milage for brakes, and clutches. A clutch should last why over 70-80K mile. The clutch parts are cheap. Its the labor fixing it, that cost, on a front wheel drive car.

FDC, should stand for Fiat's Dumb Clutches.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I mentioned it in another thread, but we've had two brand new Volkswagens come into our shop this week alone for fried clutches, so it's not just Fiat people. Last week we had one come in that was only about two years old and it had dumped the clutch too. Just for perspective ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Another clutch issue came in today - so that's three this week alone ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been on this forum for awhile (2012), I'll make Fiat pay by sharing my experience with the internet and NHTSA!
Very smart of you to report it to the NHTSA. This should be done even if Fiat treats you like a king and pays for everything as it still a safety issue and could potentially help other Fiat 500 owners or even save a life.
Did your clutch go out suddenly? I would presume so due to the use of a tow truck. If this happens at an intersection, it could be fatal.

My dealer has only seen two come in since they opened, so it can't really be as widespread as people think. It just gets a lot of attention on here, but it is obviously a problem that's happening to enough people that it should be looked at by Fiat.
Or your dealer lied about a potentially fatal problem with the cars they sell.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Very smart of you to report it to the NHTSA. This should be done even if Fiat treats you like a king and pays for everything as it still a safety issue and could potentially help other Fiat 500 owners or even save a life.
Did your clutch go out suddenly? I would presume so due to the use of a tow truck. If this happens at an intersection, it could be fatal.

I'm on reasonably good terms with them and they know I work in a service department at another dealer, so I have no reason to believe they are lying about it. Anytime I go up there I'm more than welcome to go into the shop to see what they are working on, etc.

Again, this problem is *not* as widespread as people are making it out to be. Fiat has sold tens of thousands of these cars since 2012 and if the vast majority of owners were getting hit by it, I'm sure you'd see something in the news about it or other media coverage. Are there enough people getting nailed with it that it should probably be looked at? I'd say yes. But it's not the majority of owners that are being affected by it. You've got a handful of threads on this board, some of which were started two years ago or more, that continue to see traffic and resurface. It's not being addressed on a larger scale by Fiat because there are apparently not enough cases surfacing to make it worth their while (i.e. recall). There are no technical service bulletins for this issue either that I've been able to locate in dealer computer systems (Mitchell Pro Demand, etc.) and I've gone out of my way to try and find more information on it (to give it to people on here if nothing else).
Like I said earlier, we've had three clutch issues come into our shop this week alone and these are brand new (2013 and up) VW's that all had under 20K miles on them. This is not something unique to Fiat. I saw another 2013 today with under 10K miles on it that had a leaky rear main. Again, people on this board need to get over this and understand that ALL makes/models are susceptible to problems. It still sucks, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
518 Posts
you won't see technical bulletins because the parts are not being returned for warranty. The dealers sell a new clutch and scrap the old parts so they get paid full retail rather than submitting the issue to Fiat. Warranty work pays a fraction of what retail repairs cost. I talked with Fiat corporate people at length at SEMA and they claimed they hadn't heard of a single clutch failure. This is one of several issues that will doom Fiat for a new generation of owners

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cheryl and I must be blessed by the Fiat Gods, collectively we have owned 2 Pops, 2 Turbos, and an Abarth and not a single one has given us issue. On my Pop, I had done some prety heavy burnouts and yet still had no clutch issues.

I do realize it's the opinion of some that the clutch pressure plate is smallish and suspect, but I think the hill assist and driving style probably account for a lot of the clutch failures we are hearing about.

I recommend that unless you live in San Fransisco, turn that infernal hill assist off, and learn to not overrev the motor when leaving from a standing start.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I do realize it's the opinion of some that the clutch pressure plate is smallish and suspect, but I think the hill assist and driving style probably account for a lot of the clutch failures we are hearing about.

I recommend that unless you learn to not overrev the motor when leaving from a standing start.
I'll have to disagree with you that the 'hill assist' has ANYTHING to do with the pressure plate failures. I'll demur on the driving style issues. It seems to be a pretty consistent type of failure on virtually all the pressure plates that have failed, whatever the reason.

·
Registered
512 Posts
you won't see technical bulletins because the parts are not being returned for warranty. The dealers sell a new clutch and scrap the old parts so they get paid full retail rather than submitting the issue to Fiat. Warranty work pays a fraction of what retail repairs cost. I talked with Fiat corporate people at length at SEMA and they claimed they hadn't heard of a single clutch failure. This is one of several issues that will doom Fiat for a new generation of owners
I completely agree. This and the abysmal resale value will likely point me elsewhere on my next purchase.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There have been people that have claimed clutch failure within the warranty period, so there has to be some parts going back to Fiat. There have also been people on here who have said that Fiat specifically requested their worn/damaged parts back so they could see what the problem is.

That said, it still goes back to what and I others have been saying and that is that the problem isn't as widespread as people on here are making it out to be. Frankly, I have a hard time believing anyone from corporate claiming they had not heard about it when there have been plenty of people who have claimed to talk to corporate directly (not to mention talking with Fiatcares on here) about the clutch issue. There is always the conspiracy explanation that they simply didn't want to admit to it at a consumer show (not that I'm prone to conspiracies mind you). Even my dealer says they have only seen two cases come through, so it's not like the problem isn't being seen.

I like the way VW handles it. When we get something in that is new or hasn't really been seen, we open up a ticket directly with VW so that they can see what the problem is. That way they can address it and get it resolved before it becomes a major problem. We're going to have to be doing this when the new Golf Sportwagen comes out. But like I also said, I've seen three clutch problems come in within the last week, so Fiat isn't alone in this. We narrowed one of the three down to user error (guy modded out his GLI and was thrashing it) and I can't help but think in many cases, some of the Fiat clutch issues are probably user error as well. But since they all seem to come back to the pressure plate, there would seem to be a parts issue.

I'm with you though, they obviously aren't making the impact they thought they were going to. Failing to address issues or not even doing good faith repairs isn't helping their case any.

·
Registered
518 Posts
SEMA isn't a consumer show, it's trade only. I've been talking with the same Fiat corporate people there each year since the car was debuted, long before it went on sale. This past year I spoke with all of them at the show and they claimed to have never heard of a clutch failure. Either they're all lying (quite possible, most of them came from Chrysler) or none of the broken pressure plates are being sent back.
Driving style has nothing to do with the failure, these are just inferior parts. If the problem isn't widespread as you claim, why won't Fiat do the right thing and cover a few clutch failures? I think the problem is much bigger than anyone on this forum realizes.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SEMA isn't a consumer show, it's trade only. I've been talking with the same Fiat corporate people there each year since the car was debuted, long before it went on sale. This past year I spoke with all of them at the show and they claimed to have never heard of a clutch failure. Either they're all lying (quite possible, most of them came from Chrysler) or none of the broken pressure plates are being sent back.
Driving style has nothing to do with the failure, these are just inferior parts. If the problem isn't widespread as you claim, why won't Fiat do the right thing and cover a few clutch failures? I think the problem is much bigger than anyone on this forum realizes.
Because I would think that if the vast majority of people with this car were experiencing a problem with their clutch, there would have been some kind of national coverage on it by now (i.e. a recall, consumer reports from various sources detailing the problem, car media sources detailing the problem, etc.).

They have sold tens of thousands of these cars over the last few years and I honestly believe that if the average person was experiencing a problem, there would have been coverage of the issue other than a dozen or so people on some internet forum complaining of the problem. Again, I'm fairly tight with my dealer and they've only seen two cases since they opened in 2012. I've seen more Volkswagens come into my repair bay in the last two weeks with clutch issues ('13 and '14 models) than they've seen in three years. Heck, one of my fellow techs just bought a brand new '15 Jetta TDI and on the day he took it home, discovered the coolant system was leaking (ended up being a busted radiator) and I've seen other new ones having the coolant issue.

It all goes back to the issue that myself and others have tried to hammer home - EVERY car maker has issues and it's something that has to be dealt with when you own a car. Are some people luckier than others? Yep, it is what it is. If it's a problem, ditch the car and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Some crappy dealers might lie about that but our studio still legitimately has never seen one of these issues. We've replaced a couple of clutch cables, and one or two clutches due to wear but at higher mileages, quite a few engines for various reasons, but never one of these. We've been open since 2011 and have sold a lot of Fiats. It's not an imminent doom situation, there have been some cases of failed clutches posted online but in the general population of Fiat ownership it's still very rare.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Some crappy dealers might lie about that but our studio still legitimately has never seen one of these issues. We've replaced a couple of clutch cables, and one or two clutches due to wear but at higher mileages, quite a few engines for various reasons, but never one of these. We've been open since 2011 and have sold a lot of Fiats. It's not an imminent doom situation, there have been some cases of failed clutches posted online but in the general population of Fiat ownership it's still very rare.
Not to mention that if you actually look at the NHTSA website, there are only a handful of complaints (10 for 2012 models as an example) listed and again, if it was that widespread, you'd probably see more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts