Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thumb up, because it did get me out of a mess quickly.

I hit a pothole and damaged my front left tire. It was obvious it was a goner. So I took out the spare tire kit. In 15 minutes I was running again - consider that the last time I changed a tire, I was 19 years old and drove my mom's Oldsmobile. It's pretty fast, everything is labeled correctly, etc.

I had to wait 5 days for a tire to arrive.

5 days! Nobody had it in stock. Nobody had heard of the model. I had to call Continental directly, and even they told me there weren't any tires for sale yet, since the car was so new. :confused: They delivered it to a local tire shop, who had my damaged wheel and tire.

So, I picked it up yesterday night, and not wanting to wait, drove away and decided to change it myself today.

Big surprise. When I changed the tire, I broke the included wrench. It snapped in half!!!

So now I have to go back to the local shop and hope those two lugnuts I managed to tighten will be enough for the ride.

What's the use of a wrench that will break while tightening lugnuts? I mean, come on, it's as if they didn't include a spare in the first place! I'll definitely be talking to FIAT about this later today...

·
Registered
453 Posts
A replacement wrench is definitely in order. In what way did it break?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should just buy a 12-18 inch breaker bar, makes loosening lugs easier. Dealers also tend to torque the lugs to whatever the air gun does, which can be up to 400lbs over the spec level that is probably like 80lbs or so.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, that crappy wrench at least worked well enough to get the damaged wheel off the car, and the spare tire on it. Take it back to Fiat, and have them replace it under warranty, its covered.

If they refuse, then submit a ticket to the NHTSA website. That's definitely a road hazard issue if other Fiat Owners have it break on them while in use.

The other solution is to just call the Roadside Assistance, and they will come put the spare on if your car breaks, using their tools in the truck.

Personally, if I'm home swapping tires, I just use my own tools.
They aren't going to break, like a stamped steel tool will.

BC.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So now I have to go back to the local shop and hope those two lugnuts I managed to tighten will be enough for the ride.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Uhm... I wouldn't do that.

As already mentioned, breaker bar (or air tool) to remove and only a torque wrench to replace - all lugs before driving.

Air tools are great for removing automotive lugs, fasteners, etc. but are not so good for replacing them. Even with a "torque stick" they tend to over torque (and hence over stretch) the bolts, lugs, fasteners, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts