Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Depends what year Leaf you are talking about. The early ones up to April of 2013 have battery degradation issues. 2013-2015 Leaf's are doing really well if kept in a cool climate such as the West Coast. In fact many are running around with better battery health than our 500e's. We just bought a 2014 Leaf with 90k miles on it and 87% battery health using Leafspy. Compare that to my 2015 with 60k miles and 78% battery health. It still shows 80+ mile range, but true real life driving will only get me around 60 miles. Quite disappointing since I have tried to be easy on the battery the 3+ years I've owned it and seldom L2 charged it.
2016 and on Leaf also have battery degradation issues, just not as notice-able since their pack are larger.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,735 Posts
Let me know if you can point out to the particular user that reported that
It was actually 3 different users. One reported about 2.3% less energy to fully charge, another also about 2.3%, & one more reported only about 1.5%, but I'm pretty sure we weren't considering temperature at the time.

Unfortunately those reports aren't easy to find, SO...:

It's much easier for me to use just the 2 recent worst-ever reports of 100,000 miles before I need to stop for a few minutes anywhere on my normal US-average drive.

Right on that route there are currently at least 22 free chargers that I know of. More & more keep getting added, so I wonder how many there will be by the time I have 100k on my car.

· Registered
36 Posts
Depends what year Leaf you are talking about. The early ones up to April of 2013 have battery degradation issues. 2013-2015 Leaf's are doing really well if kept in a cool climate such as the West Coast. In fact many are running around with better battery health than our 500e's. We just bought a 2014 Leaf with 90k miles on it and 87% battery health using Leafspy. Compare that to my 2015 with 60k miles and 78% battery health. It still shows 80+ mile range, but true real life driving will only get me around 60 miles. Quite disappointing since I have tried to be easy on the battery the 3+ years I've owned it and seldom L2 charged it.
2016 and on Leaf also have battery degradation issues, just not as notice-able since their pack are larger.
Yes I looked this up a while ago and was disappointed that my 500e's battery degradation is comparable to an average Nissan Leaf. Age also plays a part.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

It was actually 3 different users. One reported about 2.3% less energy to fully charge, another also about 2.3%, & one more reported only about 1.5%, but I'm pretty sure we weren't considering temperature at the time.

Unfortunately those reports aren't easy to find, SO...:

It's much easier for me to use just the 2 recent worst-ever reports of 100,000 miles before I need to stop for a few minutes anywhere on my normal US-average drive.

Right on that route there are currently at least 22 free chargers that I know of. More & more keep getting added, so I wonder how many there will be by the time I have 100k on my car.
Thank you for the discussion. That's good that you think you will make your commute for the lifetime of your car and are willing to charge midway on your commute.

Time will tell. As you can imagine, battery degradation increases beyond a certain point. You are cycling your battery more per mile.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

There are benefits for us to collect good datapoints on battery degradation. Another user in the forum might be asking if it is worth getting the Fiat 500e at 100k miles if he commutes X miles and wants to use the car for the next 50k miles for example.

All I have seen are two datapoints of ~5-6% degradation per 10k miles when measured through L2 chargers.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts