Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear many reviews refer to the Fiat 500 as a "city car". I know it's easy to park being small but is it really best suited solely for the city? How many of us actually own this car and live in a city? Just curious. Has the 500 no place on the highway?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wouldn't say I live in "the city" but I don't live in the boonies, either. There are boonies less than a mile from my house, though. :)
It takes me 30 minutes by freeway to get into what most would call "the city" (Tacoma or Seattle). I go to Tacoma once or more per week, and I go to Seattle every other month or so. The rest of the time I'm running around town.
Do I feel out of place or afraid to be on the freeway? Nope. Well, at least no more than I did in my Caravan, or my wife's Matrix. Any car can kill you in any other car.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
while the 500 DOES make a great 'city car', I drive mine to and from work on the interstate each day. it rides like a much larger car and is very comfortable for this 6'2" 250+lb good lookin' guy! :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
while the 500 DOES make a great 'city car', I drive mine to and from work on the interstate each day. it rides like a much larger car and is very comfortable for this 6'2" 250+lb good lookin' guy! :p

HAHA Population of 100,000?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Drove down to Bellngham from Vancouver and zoomed along in a comfortable and stable fashion at 70mph (on cruise), oh ya, felt happy too - which is better than feeling a silly zoom zoom...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I love the way the 500 rides on the highway. My last road trip was from Ottawa to Toronto and back. Just about 1000km total. The little car didn't miss a beat, and yes, it does ride larger than it actually is. Very comfortable and smooth for the long haul. I could easily drive across the country in this thing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think the NA design was meant to address this very concept. Larger engine and other changes make it just as suitable (if not more) on the interstate and on weekend getaways.

I drive 100+ miles a day for my work commute, virtually all highway and it's a great car for that.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
The 500 is a Fantastic highway car. Very quiet, and smooth, comfortable on the highway. I commute to work everyday in it. Easily passages larger cars. Engine size just as big as our Honda Fit. I never ever thought of my 500 being a city car. It make just make sense to day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's a great car for where I live, a densely populated suburban area. I would like to be able to take a nice country drive once in a while, but ....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am happy to hear your car is back on the road. I have to say that your Expresso with that cream top looks AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my 500. One hundred mile commute each day on Long Island Exprssway and New Jersey Turnpike. Sixty five MPH is NO problem. Stable and secure. Anyone who says this is just a city car is just making an assumption based upon its size. And they are wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
The 500 has no problem running on the highway. So it can do either mode, but it really excels in the modern reality of heavy traffic all day anywhere around a metropolitan area. I see people in muscle cars making a lot of noise, but there is no way they can put any real distance between me and them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think that the question refers to city vs. country. When you live in a metro area, highway driving is a given. I'm more interested to see what Fiat/Chrysler does out in the Heartland. Is Rural America ready for the 500? And by "rural" I mean 150 miles or more from the closest dealership.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I drove it 8 hours yesterday, only 2 of them on the highway.
It doesn't mind the highway but it was no fun; just about put me to sleep.
It loves the twisties though. Nearly full-throttle .9-G hairpin turns, tires squealing, nausea-inducing white-knuckle mountain haring fun.
Dang. Gotta do it again!

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1654

City shmitty; I've never taken my 500 into a "city" and hope I never have to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts