Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a FIAT sport automatic. I just had a friend tell me never to use the steptronic as it will be just one more thing to fix. Is that true? I did a search on the Forums for steptronic/tip tronic and I couldn't find anything. Please point me in the right direction if this has been discussed before. I remember reading several posts that mentioned owners having a lot of fun playing around with the steptronic shifting. What are your thoughts?

I think I would tend to disagree with my friend because he thinks the FIAT is a "very girlie car." And he also asked "Is that the JLO car?" As if.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can't speak to the steptronic thing since we got a manual, but I can say that my husband definitely doesn't consider this a girlie car. I can't say the same about the orange Beetle we used to have. I got it before we were married and he hated driving it without me since it was such a girl car (though he would drive it since the mpg on his truck is so low).

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
I haven't read anything about any issues with the 500 and using this option, I don't think using it will break it and if it did break it wouldn't be from use or the lack of use. What I think is likely is this person read of or had some bad experience with some car at some point which had such an option and due to the issues with that vehicle he figures it is a situation that occurs across the board to vehicles that offer this shifting option. With so many now offering that with the auto trans I don't really think it'd be a big deal, I guess toy with all you like during your warranty period and hope if it has an issue it is during that time-frame...really hope someone has some insight into why someone might think this, kinda like saying don't turn on the headlights ever cause if you do they'll burn out faster and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's not girlie at all! I'm a dude and I love mine! My boyfriend loves it too!

*recycled joke.

Reactions: aquablu2

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's not girlie at all! I'm a dude and I love mine! My boyfriend loves it too!

*recycled joke.
He's only using you for your car, then he's on to the next knob.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
This is my third car with tipronic and I use it all the time. I'm not worried and I have an extended warranty that covers any issues.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a similar feature on another vehicle and I used it every day without any issues. All you are doing is manualy controling when the automatic gear box changes gears. Aggressive downshifts will cause an increase in wear on the clutches, but I wouldn't factor this in unless it's somthing you do often.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all! Here is what my friend said: "our other car does have a "steptronic" shift thing. I NEVER USE IT AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. it's just another thing to go wrong and you'd have to fix. and plus, you should be concentrating on the road rather than thinking about when to shift." I have asked him why he thinks this (for Tweak, if I get a semi-coherent answer, I'll send you a PM). So, Tweak, you're probably right, this guy probably had a bad experience with it, or was told that advice a while ago, and it just stuck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Use the steptronic when/if you feel like it. We have had two VW's and a Bimmer equipped with steptronics and in 99% of driving, we never used them because we never felt the need to. I've occasionally put my VW into sportshift mode (it has the exceptional VW DSG transmission) but honestly, it does well enough as an automatic that I rarely feel the need for sport.

In any event, I doubt cars would be equipped with something like this if the manufacturer expected it to cause a problem if used...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks to you all! Here is what my friend said: "our other car does have a "steptronic" shift thing. I NEVER USE IT AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. it's just another thing to go wrong and you'd have to fix. and plus, you should be concentrating on the road rather than thinking about when to shift." I have asked him why he thinks this (for Tweak, if I get a semi-coherent answer, I'll send you a PM). So, Tweak, you're probably right, this guy probably had a bad experience with it, or was told that advice a while ago, and it just stuck.
Your friend sounds like an idiot. How does he feel about manual tranny's?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Your friend sounds like an idiot. How does he feel about manual tranny's?
+1 on that. I guess I should leave my manual transmission in first so I don't loose concentration and crash!:rolleyes: I'll try that out on the way home tonight and update everyone on my findings tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am in complete agreement about not using the steptronic. In addition, I never use the heated seats, cruise control, remote keyless locking and the radio. And don't get me started about using the power moonroof. My god, if that broke in the open position and it started to rain, and, well, I just couldn't cope with the whole situation. Whew, thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am in complete agreement about not using the steptronic. In addition, I never use the heated seats, cruise control, remote keyless locking and the radio. And don't get me started about using the power moonroof. My god, if that broke in the open position and it started to rain, and, well, I just couldn't cope with the whole situation. Whew, thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.
To be 100% safe, it might be best to not even use the car... You're probably asking for trouble by even using the latches to open the doors.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The wipers will open up a pandora's box of issues.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Does farting in my car affect the warranty?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
+1 on that. I guess I should leave my manual transmission in first so I don't loose concentration and crash!:rolleyes: I'll try that out on the way home tonight and update everyone on my findings tomorrow. :D
How was that long slow ride home?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Why did you buy the car? An old Pinto would have suited you better

·
Registered
424 Posts
I actually solved the problem by having my buddy flat bed me around. And the truck is diesel so I get great milage. Although I do like the pinto idea.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts