Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Daughter has reported that her car overheats when sitting idle. It's fine when she is driving it (wind cooling engine), but if she sits there with the engine running, it eventually overheats (Max temp gauge) and she says it says something like "engine too hot". I got her to run the car and the fan is kicking in, so thought maybe the thermostat was the issue, so decided to replace that. Anyway, whilst trying to get to the thermostat housing, I noticed a leak (dripping) from under the car and it was a watery consistency. I managed to get a pic of where the drip is coming from. Does anyone know what this open ended pipe is? plus any ideas on what the issue could be if the pipe is not related. The pipe is on the drivers side. I checked the coolant and was above the min, so topped up.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Tread

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone on another group suggest that the above is more than likely condensation from the aircon, etc. which makes sense as the rate of the drips, the coolant should have been a lot lower. I guess I will try the new thermostat and see what happens.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
How many miles are on the car? What makes you daughter believe the car, is over heating. Is the temp gauge showing that? Cars just sitting idling. the temp gauge will show a little higher

Automotive tire Automotive design Trip computer Motor vehicle Speedometer

It could be a bad Engine thermostat, that’s leaking. Do you see pink fluid on the ground?
That would be antifreeze. If it clear water, AC condensation. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles are on the car? What makes you daughter believe the car, is over heating. Is the temp gauge showing that? Cars just sitting idling. the temp gauge will show a little higher

View attachment 112645

It could be a bad Engine thermostat, that’s leaking. Do you see pink fluid on the ground?
That would be antifreeze. If it clear water, AC condensation. Nothing to worry about.
Unsure of mileage, but about 50k, so not excessive. She say the temp gauge fills up. Anyway, I replaced the thermostat today and was expecting all the coolant to drain (as per YouTube vids) upon removing the thermostat, but there was only a trickle, and the coolant level in the reserve remained between min/max. From google, the coolant system is fairly easy, reserve, thermostat and pump. Is that correct? Could it be the pump?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unsure of mileage, but about 50k, so not excessive. She say the temp gauge fills up. Anyway, I replaced the thermostat today and was expecting all the coolant to drain (as per YouTube vids) upon removing the thermostat, but there was only a trickle, and the coolant level in the reserve remained between min/max. From google, the coolant system is fairly easy, reserve, thermostat and pump. Is that correct? Could it be the pump?
What model year? What state or country, or average air temps when she notices the overheating. Is she idling for long periods or just a lot of stop n go traffic?
From general car experience, cooling is done by both engine oil and cooling system. As you've replaced the thermostat, and assuming that it's good:
1. Check engine oil level and quality. If near mileage to change, do so.
2. Cooling system also includes the radiator. When engine is cold, touch the radiator cap to confirm that it's cold. Open the cap, using a rag around it as a precaution, and visually check coolant level. If you have to fill it/top it off, you may also need to burp the system.
3. Water pump - inspect for evidence of leak around the housing or from a weep hole, or anywhere in it's area. If there is evidence of leaks, especially from the weep hole, replace.
4. By "reserve", I think that you mean the overflow reservoir. It should have a hose connected to the radiator, usually by the radiator cap. When coolant heats up and starts to expand beyond system capacity, pressure causes it to overflow into the reservoir. You state that the reservoir coolant level is between the min/max levels - good.

Hoping that 1 or 2 are the issue and that you just need to add one fluid or the other. Given everything checks out, get the car to operating temperature and wait for the electronic fan to kick on. Monitor the temp gauge at the dash and if the (red) Engine Temperature Warning Light (It appears to be at the bottom of the temp gauge in the picture above) turns on, turn off and check the overflow reservoir. If it's not filling up, you have a leak or blockage. At about 50k miles, probably clogged radiator. If you have a laser temp reader, you can use that to check that the temps across the radiator (following the tubes) are uniform. If there is a significant change, like boiling to much lower, you've found the blockage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts