Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!!

I just wanted to say Hi from Toronto. I bought my 500 Sport last month and there is already 3000km on it!! I love, love driving it. I've named him Ozzie...it's my first car, and I've kinda turned into a crazy person. Every night I (quietly) say, "goodnight, Ozzie." And I take a quick look around to see if there are any scratches. Sad, I know!
I spent the better part of the month looking for snowboots for him, and discovered it was quite a difficult task...with only the Pirelli's seemingly available, I finally just decided for ease, to go with the dealer. They had a package deal with Marangoni tires and alloy rims. Any thought on how to keep the rims from getting pitted from the salt? I was told coating them in Vaseline helps.

Anyway, here is a pic of my baby boy, Ozzie!
It's awesome to be part of the Fiat online community,
Take care and happy driving,

Avidgirl

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi Everyone!!

I just wanted to say Hi from Toronto. I bought my 500 Sport last month and there is already 3000km on it!! I love, love driving it. I've named him Ozzie...it's my first car, and I've kinda turned into a crazy person. Every night I (quietly) say, "goodnight, Ozzie." And I take a quick look around to see if there are any scratches. Sad, I know!
I spent the better part of the month looking for snowboots for him, and discovered it was quite a difficult task...with only the Pirelli'sseemingly available, I finally just decided for ease, to go with the dealer. They had a package deal with Marangoni tires and alloy rims. Any thought on how to keep the rims from getting pitted from the salt? I was told coating them in Vaseline helps.

Anyway, here is a pic of my baby boy, Ozzie!
It's awesome to be part of the Fiat online community,
Take care and happy driving,

Avidgirl
Hey Avidgirl, welcome! Congrats on Ozzie. Nice color. I peer through the window on commercial breaks to make sure she's ok,lol. I bought the same tires and rims. Getting the dealer to store my good rims. As for the salt, I've never heard of that, but might be interesting for my neighbors to watch me do,lol.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
If you want to protect the rims during the winter you can get Plasti Dip, comes in a few different colors, black, red, blue and possibly yellow. It can resist high pressure washings and is good against chemicals, oils, salt and such shouldn't be an issue and best of all it is cheap and can easily be peeled off after the winter season ends. It is likely carried at a local hardware store (Lowes carries it in black here) but you can easily ordered it online, contact the company and they should offer suggestions of where to buy specific colors, they were fast and helpful to me in locating blue.

http://www.plastidip.com/
Obviously you would want the spray on type, checkout YouTube for many examples of how well it works for rims and the painted areas of the car as well.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hi, welcome! I've not really named my 500 yet, but because of the color, I tend to refer to her as Olive more often than not. With the red badge, my brother calls her "the olive" since it looks like a big, pimento-stuffed olive to him.

Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the Plasti Dip suggestion. It looks like it might just do the trick. I'm hoping the dealer will let me go in before I get the tires installed to spray them. How many cans did you use for your car? Have you ever had to re-apply the Plasti Dip?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Thanks for the Plasti Dip suggestion. It looks like it might just do the trick. I'm hoping the dealer will let me go in before I get the tires installed to spray them. How many cans did you use for your car? Have you ever had to re-apply the Plasti Dip?

One can per rim and should last about six months, I have a friend that is doing similar with his car and have researched it but haven't personally done it...yet, now that I am beginning to feel better I may but winter for me is still a bit off so not as much a necessity just yet. Plast-Dip is great versatile stuff and should suit your needs perfectly as long as you clean the surface beforehand. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts