Fiat 500 Forum banner

P0441 engine code

25K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rlclem 
#1 ·
So I have had my abarth to the dealer 7 times for this code and the P1CEA code. After the 7th time they replaced my pcm. I now have a check engine light again with code P0441, this makes the 8th time for this code! It always occurs at freeway speeds (50-60 mph). I have now 9000 miles on my car. I live 87 miles from the dealer and I'm sick of this! Every sensor for the two codes has been replaced and the pcm. Any thoughts? My car has no mods to it at all! Keep me posted

#7 ·
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

You've got an Evaporative Emmission Control System problem or a leak. Start by checking the gas cap o-ring. Put a little vaseliine on the o-ring and make sure it's securely installed. Check all hoses under the hood all the way to the fuel tank.
I've troubleshot this code also. I can clear it and it will stay clear for up to 300 miles. Vasoline on the gas cap did nothing. There is no reliable studio near me and because emission control leaks are so difficult to clear I am hesitant. I fear they would clear it, drive it a few miles and declare it fixed. I'm ready to replace the sensor and check the lines from the engine to the fuel tank. At this time it has absolutely no effect on performance or fuel mileage and the engine idles very smoothly. Follow the steps suggested. You will need to remove the rear seat bottom to check the hoses there. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I went to the studio and they found a sensor that was sticking. It's all fine, except the check engine light is back on again for the ninth time now. I have not gone into autozone yet to see what the code is. It always seems to come on when I am at half a tank of gas, cruise control for 55mph, in 5th gear, and some of the times was when I was doing all that up a slight hill. I love the car and the studio has been extremely helpful and taken great care of me, but I don't know what else to do! I think when I take it in this next week, I'll ask them to help me initiate the lemon law.

#4 ·
If you have an Android phone and about $15-$20 bucks you can save some time and ease the process a little. Grab Torque ($4.95) and an OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($12ish) and you can read and clear codes quickly and easily.

Good luck resolving the issues permanently, at least this is an option you can use for any of your cars (pretty much any if OBDII).

#6 ·
Well the code keeps coming on. I dropped the car off at the studio on December 20th before going on vacation. I have been in for the same two engine codes 10 times and even after each repair the code comes back on. I initiated the lemon law this last week before christmas. I have not heard anything back just yet from the studio. I like the car, but the fact that I live an hour and a half away from the closest studio, I don't want to have to run into a problem like this again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.