Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paint or clear coating is peeling on the plastic panel that holds the top rear lights.
I don't think I can remove the panel to repaint it, so any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
I think your, going to have to mask it off. Sand it down smooth. Repaint it on the roof. Here’s a unpainted new part. You might have to go to a convertible top shop, have them remove the spoiler, from the canvas top.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your, going to have to mask it off. Sand it down smooth. Repaint it on the roof. Here’s a unpainted new part. You might have to go to a convertible top shop, have them remove the spoiler, from the canvas top.

View attachment 110665

View attachment 110664

Good Luck.

Thanks. I didn't even know what the part is called. I will try the sand and paint suggestion, one of these days ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
The paint or clear coating is peeling on the plastic panel that holds the top rear lights.
I don't think I can remove the panel to repaint it, so any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 110662 View attachment 110663
Mine did the same thing (2012 black top). I have not seen any red or black roofed 2012s or 2013s that have not had that happen. I did have to have the roof replaced a few years ago. So far so good with the new one. I learned in that process that the entire roof unit is one piece...over $5000 part!

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
I was thinking, you could sand it down really smooth, instead of painting it. Have it wrapped.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
A car wrap. There are all kinds of colors. They are made of vinyl. People wrap their cars, instead of painting them.

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
136 Posts
If not uninstalling, I'd tape if off well, sand with 1200, coat with primer, then coat with rattlecan paint for plastic or rattlecan auto paint. If not wanna primer, maybe use rattle can plastic paint might be ok and cheaper. I have used rattle can plastic paint on a plastic cargo top box (black) and it's held up extremely well. I would be super care full rhe paint doesn't run under tape if don't remove part (take off lens also if possible), so use very light coats and let dry 10-15min. between. Maybe 3-4 coats should be good. Probably would not need clearcoat if using plastic paint and clear might make look too shiny anyways... I would expect very satisfying and very good results from the effort and cost...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts