Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from some fiat owners in Europe that fiats are known for premature rusting. Today as I was getting into my car I noticed on the door around the latch area I already had some paint peeling which now worries me about the paint quality. Has anyone else seen signs of bad paint?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Now that you mention it, my bumper is chipping (at 170 kms). I thought someone had bumped my car. Now I wonder...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a pretty bad nick on the hood of my car from some unknown object. The paint seems to be pretty thin. I did not expect better from a car in this car price range but it would have been nice to be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just washed mine yesterday and with about 3200 miles on it, I haven't seen any chips or anything. And the paint didn't wash off, either. :)

Ryan

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
That sounds like a defect that you should take in for correction. I have even checked the underbody, the undercoating is flawless. How could paint be flaking up in one isolated area, without some mechanical or chemical help?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 3 week old prima edizione and the drivers sideskirt is coming un glued or it appears un taped from the body which seems to have it stick out far enough to have gotten a chip on it. The dealer says they will replace but as the car is so new they have no part for who knows how long. the dealer says they have another car with the same issue anyone noticed this as well?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the showroom for the first time, and noticed the edge of the hood had been chipped and touched up, and this car has seen zero miles (maybe during towing)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 3 week old prima edizione and the drivers sideskirt is coming un glued or it appears un taped from the body which seems to have it stick out far enough to have gotten a chip on it. The dealer says they will replace but as the car is so new they have no part for who knows how long. the dealer says they have another car with the same issue anyone noticed this as well?
Yup, mine. Non-PE Sport, driver's side. Drives me nuts. Paint itself is great though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The silver paint on my POP appeared flawless, but the first time I washed it, a narrow horizontal strip about 2 cm. long peeled off from the panel above the front bumper. I took the car back to where I bought it (Capital Motors, Edmonton, Alberta), but was told the damage was a stone chip and thus not covered by warranty. I then took the car to two body shops, at both of which I was told that the damage ought to be covered by my new car warranty, even if a stone had hit the car, because the damaged bit was peeling around the edges, which an ordinary stone chip should not do. I was told also that the only way to repair the damage properly would be to refinish the entire panel. I relayed that information in an e-mail to Capital Motors two weeks ago but received no reply. So I took the car to another Fiat dealer (Derrick Motors, Edmonton), where they took more interest in my problem. They took pictures and forwarded them to Fiat. The reply from Fiat was that the damage was caused by a stone and thus not covered by warranty, but that if the panel peels elsewhere, then they will accept a warranty claim. For now, I am just going to touch up the damage as best I can. If I ever have the panel refinished properly (whether under warranty or at my own expense), then I definitely will investigate having it coated with 3-m transparent film. The original paint appears to consist of just one very thin layer, with nothing under it but black plastic. Comments?

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I would like to side with you, but really, how could the paint be bad in just one small localized area? Either there is a problem with the way the paint was applied, or something came along and damaged it later. Have you checked the insurance coverage angle?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have seen other posts that say the paint used today on all cars is more environmentally friendly and less durable. I was thinking about getting AeroGard by 3M or something similar for protection.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would like to side with you, but really, how could the paint be bad in just one small localized area? Either there is a problem with the way the paint was applied, or something came along and damaged it later. Have you checked the insurance coverage angle?
Thanks for the input. The insurance angle doesn't work for me, as I have a big deductible (well, it seemed like a good idea at the time). Actually, I agree with you that Fiat's position is reasonable. If the paint is defective, then it will peel elsewhere. If it is sound, then the stone damage is just my tough luck. Fair enough. I remain curious why the body shop people said what they did. Are they perhaps just not used to encountering cars with nothing but thin paint over plastic? And is that the new normal? Are paint undercoats becoming a thing of the past? On all of my former vehicles, stone chips were always just little pits, but those cars all had metal rather than plastic panels, so perhaps the peeling effect on my Fiat is the new normal. If so, should all new Fiat owners get their front ends covered with transparent film? Any paint experts out there care to comment?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a few small paint chips. Most of them are on plastic parts like the bumpers and one on the side skirt. I also have one on the door. I have ordered touch up paint. Don't want to keep Bare metal
Exposed for long. I do feel paint jobs on cars are getting thinner and cheaper

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 500 in Argento (silver) and consider the paint quality quite good. My former MINI only had to see an airborne stone, and chips cropped up all over the place -- many down to bare metal. Also, the MINI clear coat showed an abundance of swirl marks after a few months even though it received only careful hand-washing. A BMW of mine from a few years back had the same paint issues as the MINI, and BMW blamed it on acid rain (?) while my local body shop blamed it on inferior clear coat formulation. Neither of these problems is showing up in my 500 yet, and I don't expect it.

I'd say the 500's paintwork -- at least the overall finish -- is akin to the finish on my 04 Mercedes, which in brilliant silver is very nearly a direct color match. Of course, number of coats and quality of paint material matter a lot. From a durability standpoint, one should expect better results from the pricier Mercedes. So, we'll see over the next two years or so how the Fiat 500 holds up, but my initial impression is very positive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have, what I think is excess paint that at sometime bubbled up and dried that way on the passengers side skirt. I did not notice it untill I washed it the first time. Dealer took pictures and I am waiting to hear if it will be covered by warrenty.

·
Registered
777 Posts
2000 kms on my metallic black and My friend had a buckle from a backpack sticking out the trunk when he closed it shut.
the bottom of the hatch has a paint chip I need to get fixed. No other paint problems yet.

Is it possible that the cars are being painted and then shipped to the dealers where they are purchased right away. I have a bodyshop friend who claims it takes 3 months for the paint to truly cure. dont wax it or apply vinyl for up to 3 months.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
6,000 mile cars like brand new still. Great paint job. A few rock chips, just like any other car, I've owned. Never heard of any European 500 's rusted, being this new.:confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would bring it to the dealer and have it fixed. Your paint issue seems to be a very isolated issue as I've not seen or heard of this before.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts