Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping with the White, Red and Black theme of my car I painted the climate control surround and the main instrument surround red. If you want to remove these items here is my experience.

Taking the climate control surround off was easy - simply and gently pry off with your hands and then disconnect the wiring for the fog lights and heated seats if needed.
The main instrument surround requires the removal of the top and bottom steering wheel surrounds. Tilt the wheel all the way up. Two Phillips head screws hold the bottom on and are a bit of a challenge to remove. Then gently but firmly separate it from the top surround minding the key area. It will seem like it does not want to come off but be persistent and it will separate. Now there are two more Phillips head screws holding the top surround on - remove them, tilt the wheel back all the way down and slide the top part off. Now you can remove the three torx screws holding the instrument surround on - I would recommend a magnet to catch the screws as you don't want them falling into the wrong location.
Remove the flexible shield from the surround and prep for painting! I used a rustolem gloss red for plastic and topped it with a gloss clear coat UV resistant paint.

I am really happy with the results and love my little topolino even more now.:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
That looks awesome.

Were you able to see how hard it would be to get at the speedometer insert? I prefer the white from the Pop to the black on my Sport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two torx screws holding the plastic cover on so it should be fairly easy to gain access. Now changing out the speedo insert...sorry didn't mess with that but it should be apparent with the cover out of the way. Maybe this picture will help...

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
That looks awesome.

Were you able to see how hard it would be to get at the speedometer insert? I prefer the white from the Pop to the black on my Sport.
I was thinking of doing the same, but i might just swap the whole cluster instead of trying to tear apart the assembly and replace the speedo face. I saw a killer yellow one from a Euro 500 that i thought would go well with a Yellow 500 sport.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any particular brand of paint you use or just a rattle can color match from a paint shop?

Did you do a wet sand prep and clean before painting?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used Rustolem Plastic paint and the only prep work was to clean the parts with water and then with rubbing alcohol. The surface of each under a magnifying glass showed some dimples so I didn't really see the need to wet sand and such. The Plastic paint bends nicely and fills well. I also put a top coat of UV clear acrylic to help the fight against the Florida sun - I know it is a long term losing cause but if I can buy some extra time I figured what the heck. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.