Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 La Prima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..would it be prudent to suggest Fiat UK get a grip of this warning sound, how it sounds, when it sounds and what conditions govern it.
It's not good that it only sounds once on commencing a journey, if you drive to a supermarket it isn't going to warn anyone in the car park as it did that just after you left your driveway. Why does it not warn pedestrians when vehicle moving between say..3mph and 6mph every time. Current settings are pointless and serve no purpose. Does anyone know if other manufacturers of ev's are the same. Our La Prima is brilliant in other areas especially the autonomous driving.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
That sure is pointless!

With the 2013-19 model, many of us deactivate the noisemaker by unplugging its speaker. I haven't seen even one report of a problem. By the time I gained access to the plug on mine, I figured I may as well save a few pounds so I just removed the entire unit over 5 years ago & I haven't even come remotely close to hitting a pedestrian.

Many EVs don't have it, & it doesn't seem to be a problem. A bicycle is even quieter & harder to see. In my own 40,000 miles of cycling I never felt the need to add a pedestrian alert noisemaker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As of 01-March-2021, a pedestrian warning sound is required on all new EVs sold in the USA; without it, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics show that "the odds of a hybrid car striking a pedestrian are 19% higher than a conventional gasoline car" (quoted from a Reuters web site). The US version 500e since 2013 sounds its warning continuously at any speed below 18.6 MPH (30 k/h). Perhaps the rules in the UK are different...

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
It's directly ahead of the right front wheel.

If memory serves from 5 years ago I had to take out a few fender liner screws to get at it just to unplug, which is why I figured I may as well take out a few more screws to delete the whole thing.

As to the NHTSA specs, I wonder if the type of person likely to buy a hybrid is simply more likely than average to be distracted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As to the NHTSA specs, I wonder if the type of person likely to buy a hybrid is simply more likely than average to be distracted.
LOL Not sure about where you live, but up here the pedestrians are more likely to be distracted, and that's saying a lot since probably ~25% of drivers are texting/otherwise interfacing with their phones in their hands and eyes on the screen while driving.

·
Registered
2021 Fiat 500e La Prima
7 Posts
Hi..would it be prudent to suggest Fiat UK get a grip of this warning sound, how it sounds, when it sounds and what conditions govern it.
It's not good that it only sounds once on commencing a journey, if you drive to a supermarket it isn't going to warn anyone in the car park as it did that just after you left your driveway. Why does it not warn pedestrians when vehicle moving between say..3mph and 6mph every time. Current settings are pointless and serve no purpose. Does anyone know if other manufacturers of ev's are the same. Our La Prima is brilliant in other areas especially the autonomous driving.
I'm far from sure when my warning sounds, I believe it does sound when I arrive in a supermarket after I've driven at normal speed from home. However, it is so quiet I rarely hear it inside the car, certainly not if I've got the radio on.

This isn't a Fiat UK issue, per se. I believe the UK requirements are equal to the EU ones, at least for now,

Whilst the warning seems to be a legal requirement here, I can't believe it will be tested in the MoT. If it weren't for @Yerman's 2 inquisitive policemen, in UK we would all be blissfully ignorant of the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tire Shredder, where on the car is that unit exactly, as I'd love to do the same surgery!!
The sound generator is behind the "gearshift" button panel - no too difficult to get to. Once you're there, you can simply unplug it with no other ill effects. However, for a bit more flair, there's a company that makes a replacement module that you can program to make any sound you want: my500e.com

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
The sound generator is behind the "gearshift" button panel - no too difficult to get to. Once you're there, you can simply unplug it with no other ill effects.
In USA, the speaker is directly ahead of the right front wheel. I wonder if you mean there is a second plug* behind the "gearshift" button panel that will disconnect it.

*besides the plug at the speaker, ahead of the front right wheel

·
Registered
8 Posts
In USA, the speaker is directly ahead of the right front wheel. I wonder if you mean there is a second plug* behind the "gearshift" button panel that will disconnect it.

*besides the plug at the speaker, ahead of the front right wheel
@Electric Tire Shredder is correct; the speaker is located in the right front wheel well. The sound generator is in the section of the instrument console where the gear selector buttons are located. Disconnecting either will silence the anti-pedestrian-run-over sound.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
That's a great find!

The speaker is easy to find by following the sound, & there's only a few fender-liner screws to remove for access. Deleting it was easier for me than changing the cabin air filter.

I wonder how heavy the generator is, & how hard it is to access & to know for sure that you're unplugging/deleting the exact right part.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
826 Posts
That sure is pointless!

With the 2013-19 model, many of us deactivate the noisemaker by unplugging its speaker. I haven't seen even one report of a problem. By the time I gained access to the plug on mine, I figured I may as well save a few pounds so I just removed the entire unit over 5 years ago & I haven't even come remotely close to hitting a pedestrian.

Many EVs don't have it, & it doesn't seem to be a problem. A bicycle is even quieter & harder to see. In my own 40,000 miles of cycling I never felt the need to add a pedestrian alert noisemaker.
The only time I saw getting near a moron pedestrian and still not noticed is the idiots who are cellphones walking, you know the people waiting for the Darwin award glued to their phones as they walk. I sound off my horn or my Italian warning pedestrian warning system “ hey watch where your going you idiot” this has happened when I had that pedestrian speaker and without so it doesn’t make a difference really.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
Ya, my worst-driving friend, who once actually fell on her face text-walking, says a few pedestrians have been surprised by her Tesla 3. I think maybe in reality it's the other way around!

Love it: "Italian pedestrian warning" (horn).

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
826 Posts
Ya, my worst-driving friend, who once actually fell on her face text-walking, says a few pedestrians were surprised by her Tesla 3. I think maybe in reality it's the other way around!

Love it: "Italian pedestrian warning" (horn).
Do Tesla’s even have a pedestrian warning? I’ve always seen them drive by me but doesn’t seem to make any noises. The new hybrid Toyota’s make a ridiculously annoying hum that sounds like the intro for the Simpson and just stuck there.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
My worst-driving friend's Tesla 3 has no pedestrian warning (besides the Italian horn) & even as oblivious as she is, she has never hit a pedestrian.

She has hit at least 3 other cars though.

It seems fair to say "Lack of pedestrian alert doesn't kill pedestrians, drivers kill pedestrians."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do Tesla’s even have a pedestrian warning? I’ve always seen them drive by me but doesn’t seem to make any noises. The new hybrid Toyota’s make a ridiculously annoying hum that sounds like the intro for the Simpson and just stuck there.
The Teslas on my street make a weird noise at low speed. Sounds a lot like a quad copter (drone). I'm pretty sure it is the stock pedestrian warning sound for a Model 3. It may only be for when they are backing up - not sure.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The Teslas on my street make a weird noise at low speed. Sounds a lot like a quad copter (drone). I'm pretty sure it is the stock pedestrian warning sound for a Model 3. It may only be for when they are backing up - not sure.
Interesting I never heard it, might be user configured? None by me any any noises noteworthy or noticeable.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
As of 01-March-2021, a pedestrian warning sound is required on all new EVs sold in the USA
It might be user-configured on Teslas sold before March 1st 2021, but since then it seems to be mandatory, or at least have the default factory setting as "on".

Some rad fans sound very much like a quad copter drone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts