Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I live in Ontario, Canada.
My wife is picking up her new Fiat 500 Prima Edizione in a couple of weeks. We just got back from filling out all the paper work required in advance but I have 2 questions.

Should I purchase the extended warranty, currently it's bumper to bumper for 3 years so I'm paying for an additional 2 years to make it 5 years. This will be a 3rd car in the family so it will be driven maybe 10,000 km a year. $1400.00 cost

Also they wanted to sell me the rust proofing for $600. They said it's for the life of the car. I plan to keep the car forever. I know they used to be rust buckets in the days but I know cars now a days have gotten better and usually don't rust. I read on another site about the fiat 500 the following info:

hxxp://pub43.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=3629891555&catid=9901#q18

Rust is a thing of the past on modern Fiats, they are among the most rust resistant cars you can buy.
Besides sprayed on rust proof coatings, panels galvanized on both sides account for 90% of the 500's body weight.
In particular, all the parts that make up the chassis, most exposed to corrosive agents, are 100% galvanized.
Of these, the structures defined as safety structures, such as the suspension mountings and reinforcements for the seat belts, are made from panels with a high zinc thickness, up to 20 micron.
The body is made entirely from 8 micron galvanized panels for the doors, bonnet, boot lid, side panels, wings and roof.
The exception is some of the inner parts of the passenger compartment because there is no risk at all of oxidation such as, for example, the dashboard mounting brackets.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't live in a rust belt, but in general rust-proofing is a big money maker for the dealer. As for extended warranties, they usually don't pay for themselves unless you have a major engine or tranny failure. They're usually worded to rule out coverage of items that fail from normal use. I'd bank the money and get some interest on it instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually going back tomorrow to confirm a few other things and also to remove the rust protection and extended warranty. The warranty that comes with it was 3 years bumper to bumper, 3 years rust/corrosion, 5 years on the powertrain and 8 years on some limited corrosion which I wanted some more clarification.

Then on the invoice they had registration fee of $699.00
Pre-Delivery Expense (PDI) - $199.00
They had removed the Administration fee of $399.00

I need clarification on the registation fee and what it is?
The registration fee is not the license fee, as that's something additional.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so envious! I have fallen hard for this car, and cannot find any info on it. I've been to the website, but not the dealership. I dont even know if they offer financing or not! But I have already built my own on the US webpage and I'm sold but where do I go to get it? I hope they will update the website soon. I NEED to have this car! I'm curious about the winter handling....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Rbrf2,

Here on the west coast, we don't have much salt on the roads, but I know Ontario is different. My feeling is that all cars are very well protected against rust and corrosion. My impression also is that the corrosion warranty is not valid if they can show that some sort of damage, such as from a stone chip, allowed the paint or undercoat to be penetrated.

I think that the various other charges, administration, documentation, etc are fees that you are certainly justified in challenging. The dealer needs to make money, but there can be just too many add-ons of mystery fees. IMHO, naturally.

I also believe that Fiat builds very good cars. I think that, on balance, the odds are in their favour; they are not going to sell warranties that cost less than the general average of repair costs.

And congrats on getting a 500!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here in Maple Ridge BC, we are looking forward to the arrivals of the Fiat. We have been told that they should arrive around the end of the month. So excited!

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
The best form of anti-rust treament: Undercarriage wash. Today's cars make use of a lot of galvanized pieces. Also they have plastic liners in the wheel wells. I wouldn't want them spraying on some junk, that will add weight, and if improperly applied, be the agent of causing corrosion. If the sprayed on material blocks drainage holes you would really be in trouble in future.

The charges you are talking about are funny-money. You want to total them all up and compare what else you could buy for the same amount of money. Be firm with the dealer and let them know you can wait, and show them you mean what you say.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im also from ontario and I also have a Prima Edizione 500 coming in. I got it from a friend of mine (wont say where) but besides the freight, tire tax 25 and omvic fee 5, I only paid a $349 doc fee. He opened up the books to show me profit as to better justify the doc fee, I dont know how these FIAT dealers will make any money there isn't much profit in these cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
There is a school of thought that profit on the 500 is not really that important. Fiat wants to get its foot in the door. And it's a win-win, because if Americans decided they want fuel-efficient cars, Chrysler had virtually nothing to offer. Buick similarly has no small cars - it should have been toast, but the noveau-wasteful Chinese love the gas-guzzling Enclave.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dealers that are selling these cars have operational costs to pay and if their selling a vehicle with $800 profit it will be hard to pay those bills

·
Registered
6 Posts
After many calls I had to take delivery of my Prima Edizione at a dealer 200 miles away. I found that in Florida, Sarasota Fiat was the only one of the ones I talked to that new what they were talking about and have a better picture of the long term aspirations of the Fiat brand.

Fiat of Sarasota
Tim Reeher
941-924-8822
Cell 941-302-7941

He seems to see the bigger picture and is thinking long term not short sighted as many dealers out there.

Hope this helps anyone else in some way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got back from the dealership. The doc fees are some kind of warranty for the tires/rims, insurance coverage in case the car is stolen, they will give me $4000 on top of the insurance company. They tried to explain it, but said they will give me a printed document what the documentation covers. I think it's just called incorrectly on the invoice. I'm still trying for them to remove it.

So my car arrived today at the dealership and will be picking it up tomorrow. I went in to see it. The liquid graphite dash is a grayish colour, it's not matched to the colour of the vehicle which in my case is white.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts