Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just picked up a cool 2017 500e with 12K miles and had it home for all of 4 days. This past weekend, I couldn't keep the 12V battery charged. After some reading, I thought the battery may have been toast (many had experienced that) so I decided to replace it. After swapping out the 12V I would still get an error but the car would run. Overnight the 12V drained while even on the charger and decided to get it towed to the closest dealer (about 50 miles away). Still under warranty (thank goodness). They called me this afternoon and said the PIM was toast and needed to be replaced. I know there was that PIM recall on the '13's-'16's but has anyone heard of a PIM going bad on a later year? Curious on everyone's feedback. Dealer said it'd be a few days because of shipping delays but should have it back together this week. Oh also, they won't cover the battery since I replaced it and will have to buy another one since the battery is totally drained - so that's awesome.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Your 12v battery can be charged up again. It's not trashed.

Well I just picked up a cool 2017 500e with 12K miles and had it home for all of 4 days. This past weekend, I couldn't keep the 12V battery charged. After some reading, I thought the battery may have been toast (many had experienced that) so I decided to replace it. After swapping out the 12V I would still get an error but the car would run. Overnight the 12V drained while even on the charger and decided to get it towed to the closest dealer (about 50 miles away). Still under warranty (thank goodness). They called me this afternoon and said the PIM was toast and needed to be replaced. I know there was that PIM recall on the '13's-'16's but has anyone heard of a PIM going bad on a later year? Curious on everyone's feedback. Dealer said it'd be a few days because of shipping delays but should have it back together this week. Oh also, they won't cover the battery since I replaced it and will have to buy another one since the battery is totally drained - so that's awesome.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
I would still try to have them warranty the original one as it still covered under the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty then you’ll have a spare 😆 That’s if you still have the original one

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Since it turns out the problem wasn't the old 12V, that one will probably also recharge & work fine. Then you could keep the 2020 12V fresh for when the 2017 12V finally dies (the day after the car warns you about it).

has anyone heard of a PIM going bad on a later year?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
I can’t see how the PIM cause the 12v battery to go dead Maybe if you had a bad DC to DC converter

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
So you think the dealer is wrong? (said the PIM was toast and needed to be replaced.)

I guess we'll find out, if they replace it & there's still a problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We’re talking about FCA dealers here their full of clowns. If you look at the rest of their product lineup what they have to deal with and then when they come to this car they’re clueless.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Good point. Someone here seems to have had theirs fried by FCA plugging in a standard OBD.

Also good point about their product lineup. It looks like ours is the only 3rd-Gen vehicle (EV) they've made available so far, they've only made one 2G vehicle (phev mini-van), & all their other vehicles are 1G (gas-only).

·
Registered
225 Posts
The thing about is many dealer don’t have EV trained techs because they’d have to pay that person more per hour regardless if he’s working on a EV or a gasser and since this car was only sold in 2 states for one model why bother training at all? There just not familiar with EV technology and how it all works so diagnosing a problem they just guess it and shot gun the whole job. Replace things one by one till it fixes it motto lol. I guess it goes with the name FIAT: Fix It Again Tony

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
It's a very good thing that most of our EVs nearly never need any special service besides standard stuff that anyone can do, like tires, cabin air filters, coolant, etc.

I had worse luck with Toyota! (no offense - I think you said you work there, as does my nephew)

They have a nearly identical product lineup: Only 1 discontinued EV, 1(?) current phev, & tons of gassers to practice fixing, BUT...:

They did exactly "replace things one by one" with my INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS!

It was burning a quart of oil every 36 miles so they pulled the engine, replaced JUST the rings, & put it back! Then they replaced just the pistons & put it back. Then the block, then the crank..... It's so unbelievable that I should have taken pics of all the invoices before I gave them to the guy who bought it from me after it was all fixed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm just crossing my fingers I don't run into any big issues with mine as I don't even know where the where to start since it's my first electric car. I mean I know what all the parts do I just don't know as far as finding the location of certain things that could go wrong and parts availability. I also don't like messing about high-voltage things especially because I know it requires special insulated gloves and so forth if you're working around things like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealership told me that it was the Fiat master tech that is working on it - whatever that means. Tend to agree on the shotgun approach. Honestly I asked the service advisor a bunch of questions, and the dude had no idea what I was talking about. Said when I pick it up he'll get me in front of the tech and we can talk about it... assuming it's fixed. He may have misunderstood what the tech said as well - he seemed pretty clueless. Unfortunately when I got the new battery I had them dispose of the old one. I called them and they've thrown it away already so that ship sailed. If I can charge it back from flat it'll be good to have it as a backup. I'm fine with that. The PIM/Parts are supposed to be here tomorrow or Thursday and I should have it back before the weekend. I'll keep everyone posted though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If your master tech basically mean someone who’s worked there for at least five years and has the certifications for general mechanics it does not mean he specializes in electric vehicles. We have the same thing here in Toyota we have mastered techs that are not authorized to touch hybrid cars.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The dealership told me that it was the Fiat master tech that is working on it - whatever that means. Tend to agree on the shotgun approach. Honestly I asked the service advisor a bunch of questions, and the dude had no idea what I was talking about. Said when I pick it up he'll get me in front of the tech and we can talk about it... assuming it's fixed. He may have misunderstood what the tech said as well - he seemed pretty clueless. Unfortunately when I got the new battery I had them dispose of the old one. I called them and they've thrown it away already so that ship sailed. If I can charge it back from flat it'll be good to have it as a backup. I'm fine with that. The PIM/Parts are supposed to be here tomorrow or Thursday and I should have it back before the weekend. I'll keep everyone posted though.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
FiatCares
Thank you Alison. I'll definitely reach out if there are any issues. Luckily this isn't a primary driver for me so being without the car isn't terrible. That said, I don't want it to live eternally at the shop either. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So just heard from the dealership. Apparently the parts are now another week out. They've been encountering issues with shipping due to the coronavirus and so haven't gotten the parts. Guess I'm in this for the long haul...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well finally got the car back today. Seems to work just as good as it did for a minute. I posted the stuff they did. Bascially a new PIM and some odds and ends. According to their service manager, their tech has worked on quite a few 500e's and was very familiar with them - that said, he'd never replaced a PIM before. This was a first for him and he was excited to do it. Anywho, she's up and running and finally ready for mods! Hopefully stays the case. I've got a warranty through Feb of next year so I've got to get all the gremlins out now so it doesn't happen after it's out of warranty.

Anyhow, below is the service ticket:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lucky, got a free battery under warranty... how much was the whole invoice?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts