Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry this is a long post, it's been a long 7 weeks up to now!!

So back on the 18th Nov my 2017 Fiat 500e cut out whilst driving and went into neutral and the ESC light came on. There was a loud clunking sound when the car stopped. After a couple of tries it let me put it into D and drive off the road a short distance to park. After being parked around an hour when I left to drive home it again let me drive, it was just 2 miles, but the EV System Malfunction Indicator Light came on this time.
That evening it would not charge properly, it would charge intermittently and then not charge. In 12hrs on level 1 charging it only went from 4% to 19%.
The following morning there was a Service 12v Battery/12v Battery Issue Final Warning (I had never since a 12v battery message to that point in the 1 yr of owning the car) on the dash. The car would not go into ready mode and since was saying a 12v battery issue I went to my local repair shop on my street and they came to the car to replace the 12v battery which was dead at that point. He said that he was advised by Fiat that it would need to charge and then might need a system reset if it was not resolved. It continued to have the intermittent charging issue, going from 19% to 23%, so was towed to Fiat the next day.
I explain to Fiat the 12v warning and that the battery was replaced and that the mechanic who had replaced had been advised by Fiat it may need a reset after. He said they needed to run their own diagnostics and would get back to me. The next day he called to say that the PIM needed replaced and it would cost $7770 + tax, since my car was 3 weeks past it's 4yr warranty. I visited the dealership for more details and the general tone of the message was it is an expensive repair and not worth doing it, that when they have had this issue with other customers they have scraped the car. They did suggest attempting to get goodwill assistance from Fiat, gave me a number to call and would try on their end too. The helpline I called asked for no details of the situation other than the VIN and the part needing replaced and said no within a couple of minutes. I tired again to speak with another manager to give details of the issues and stress the timing of the problem compared to the end of warranty and that there is only 26000 miles on the car, again after a few minutes it was no.
After following up with the dealership numerous times on Dec 14th they advised there was nothing they could do their end either. I requested to have the part number and the diagnostic report to see the error codes so I could look into the option to get a used part and repair elsewhere or the value to sell for parts.
On the Dec 23rd they agreed to send me the diagnostics, however actually just sent a note on their invoice of "Tested and found failure of PIM. Recommend replace failed PIM", no codes. This invoice also had a description on the problem the car was brought in for per the customer which made no mention of the 12v battery!
By Dec 29th they finally provided the codes by email, not a report. They are:
U1014-00 -- PIM internal failure
and
B23AE-00 -- PIM Active Fault
I pushed to get a report and they finally sent this to me yesterday, Jan 5th, however they had two additional codes they had made no mention of before:
B23B0 - 00 - BPCM Fault
and
P1E25-00 - Hybrid/EV Battery Failure Level 2

When I questioned why they have never mentioned the other to codes before now and that this was particularly strange when the EV battery is still under warranty (and they recommended I scrap the car initially), they became quite defensive and then when I mentioned that I had seen an example of the same two exact codes in other car that Fiat advised they meant the EV battery was dead and needed replaced (Clearing Warning Messages/Error Codes (updated)), they then said that the just double checked with the technician and that these two codes are automatic due to the PIM and would clear when the PIM was replaced...is that true???
I also asked them why there was no mention of the 12v battery on the notes, did the technicians have this info? And if they had attempted a reset - they changed from saying on Dec 29th that there was no reset that could be done:

The two Active Fault Codes retrieved from your car's computer are:
and
B23AE-00 -- PIM Active Fault.
Both codes indicate internal failure of the PIM per our Technician.

There is no Reboot procedure that can correct this.
What you might be referring to is a procedure called "Graceful Shutdown" to reactivate the high-voltage battery, but this can only be done when the vehicle will not go into the "Ready Mode". Your car is already in the "Ready Mode".

to yesterday after I sent them the info from this thread (COVID-19 Killed my car! - Error "Service Charging...) about Fiat of Glendale doing a reset and reprogram to resolve two of the codes I have and then I stopped by the dealership to discuss after, they told me "oh actually yesterday we had a second technician do another diagnostic so we could give you a report and he told me just now that he tried a reset too but it didn't work but he didn't mention this to me yesterday when he gave me the report"...

Do I believe them???

And regarding the four error codes, is it likely that this is a genuine blown PIM or these are all just false errors relating to the 12v battery issue?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

· Registered
2017 FIAT 500e
57 Posts
If the PIM is a part of the battery then warranty should still cover it. You get 8 years warranty on the battery me thinks. I have no idea what a PIM is, even after using the google machine, so there's that! Fingers crossed it's a painless fix.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the PIM is a part of the battery then warranty should still cover it. You get 8 years warranty on the battery me thinks. I have no idea what a PIM is, even after using the google machine, so there's that! Fingers crossed it's a painless fix.
It's the Power Inverter Module and not part of the battery, just connects to it, so isn't covered under the battery warranty unfortunately.

· Registered
2017 FIAT 500e
57 Posts
Have you tried using AlfaOBD to see what it says? Or is that not an option with this condition? It might be something that could be reset. That's where I would begin to try and sort this out. I consider most dealer techs know-nothings when it comes to our cars.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried using AlfaOBD to see what it says? Or is that not an option with this condition? It might be something that could be reset. That's where I would begin to try and sort this out. I consider most dealer techs know-nothings when it comes to our cars.
The car is at the dealership. The service manager said all these techs do all day is work on Fiat 500e's and they are the best in the area, I'm in California, so there are a lot of 500es...but debatable when the tech in Nov did not even attempt a reset, if the one this week actual did attempt one that is.

The have given me the full report however, so assuming that is from AlfaOBD and I would get the same error codes:

U1014-00
B23AE-00
B23B0-00
P1E25-00

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,739 Posts
In my experience, & that of others reporting here:
  • One of the recalls was for shifting to N while driving. Check your VIN here:
Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site
  • I've had many warnings showing something like "EV System Malfunction", which were cleared just by one 3-minute-off key cycle.
  • A blown PIM doesn't seem like it should allow the car to drive but not charge. A blown OBC would do that.
  • Me & at least 2 others here got charge failure errors that were fixed by simply plugging into the OEM cord.
  • Errors have been caused by replacing the 12V after it wears out (sometimes in as little as 23 months), requiring OBD code clearing or multiple (10?) 3-minute-off key cycles.
  • Errors have been caused by a dealership plugging in a standard wired-to-display OBD. I believe those have been fixed with one or more of the list of tricks that forum members have reported, listed here:
  • Errors have been caused by the humidity sensor, until you leave it unplugged.

Without re-reading all your situation's details, I think I'd follow each step of the list you linked in post #1: After checking that all recalls/"campaigns" are complete, I'd go to the dealer with a multi-meter, bluetooth OBD dongle, & AlfaOBD app on a phone/tablet/laptop. Then leave the humidity sensor unplugged, ensure 11.7v or more at the batt terminals, make sure it goes "clunk" at all the right times (if not, do the contactor reset), then check OBD error codes, clear them all, & disconnect the 12V for 30 hours. Then I'd go back & if it still didn't work I'd try each HV disconnect sequence one at a time, checking function after each one.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
  • I've had many warnings showing something like "EV System Malfunction", which were cleared just by one 3-minute-off key cycle.
  • A blown PIM doesn't seem like it should allow the car to drive but not charge. A blown OBC would do that.
  • Me & at least 2 others here got charge failure errors that were fixed by simply plugging into the OEM cord.
  • Errors have been caused by replacing the 12V after it wears out (sometimes in as little as 23 months), requiring OBD code clearing or multiple (10?) 3-minute-off key cycles.
  • Errors have been caused by a dealership plugging in a standard wired-to-display OBD. I believe those have been fixed with one or more of the list of tricks that forum members have reported, listed here:

Without re-reading all your situation's details, I think I'd follow each step of the list you linked in post #1: After checking that all recalls/"campaigns" are complete, I'd go to the dealer with a multi-meter, bluetooth OBD dongle, & AlfaOBD app on a phone/tablet/laptop. Then leave the humidity sensor unplugged, ensure 11.7v or more at the batt terminals, make sure it goes "clunk" at all the right times (if not, do the contactor reset), then check OBD error codes, clear them all, & disconnect the 12V for 30 hours. Then I'd go back & if it still didn't work I'd try each HV disconnect sequence one at a time, checking function after each one.

Thanks so much for the further info!

Only recall was U69 and that was completed.

Attaching the report from the dealership as maybe it sheds more light on the errors and what they tried. I'm not sure, but is "Cycle to switch warning lamp off" the same as the key cycles you mention?
If I went to the dealership again myself, I would get the same, no?
It is at Orange Coast btw, I see in other posts you have been to this dealership yourself.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,739 Posts
Yes, I have been to Orange Coast Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Fiat, but only for recalls S26, S93 & U69, and I took my friend's later model there for a recall once too.

I haven't read your 8-page report, but whatever that shows, they may not know about every trick listed in the link from your post #1 above, especially the very recently discovered situation described here:

Batteries & Contactors Aren't Really...

So my prior statement still applies, if you can drive it onto the street so you can check it out yourself, or maybe even push it to their guest parking or something: "I'd go to the dealer with a multi-meter, bluetooth OBD dongle, & AlfaOBD app on a phone/tablet/laptop*. Then leave the humidity sensor unplugged, ensure 11.7v or more at the batt terminals, make sure it goes "clunk" at all the right times (if not, do the contactor reset), then check OBD error codes, clear them all, & disconnect the 12V for 30 hours. Then I'd go back & if it still didn't work I'd try each HV disconnect sequence one at a time, checking function after each one."

* Oops! I forgot a round toothpick for humidity sensor disconnect, & a Crescent wrench (or even pliers) for 12V disconnect. Also, I'd try a shorter 12V disconnect while there, just in case that's enough, & if not THEN leave it for 30+ hours.

· Registered
399 Posts
Report says contactors closed, so it does not appear to be a contactor issue.

There have been reports of failed PIMs.
There also was a recall for certain 2013 to 2016 500e's for PIM's causing voltage spikes that can cause loss of power. https://www.cars.com/research/fiat-500e/recalls/
I know that your car is a 2017, but wondering if this could be related. I recall reading more about the issue in the past and the fix was new software. But the underlying cause seemed to be variations in the PIM (essentially out of spec for the original software to be able to handle) leading to problematic voltage spikes. It may be worth doing some more research on the issue.

If it is a failed PIM and the failure is related to the original recall, you might be able to find a path to get Fiat to do something. But I don't think this will be an easy path and will likely require a lot of effort to prove root cause and likely a lawyer to get any action out of Fiat.

While not surprising, it is still pretty lame that Fiat offers no help with the car being only 3 weeks out of warranty. Does zero for customer loyalty, discourages potential buyers, and certainly gives the impression Fiat is done with the US market. . .

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

So back on the 18th Nov my 2017 Fiat 500e cut out whilst driving and went into neutral and the ESC light came on. There was a loud clunking sound when the car stopped. After a couple of tries it let me put it into D and drive off the road a short distance to park. After being parked around an hour when I left to drive home it again let me drive, it was just 2 miles, but the EV System Malfunction Indicator Light came on this time.
That evening it would not charge properly, it would charge intermittently and then not charge. In 12hrs on level 1 charging it only went from 4% to 19%.
The following morning there was a Service 12v Battery/12v Battery Issue Final Warning (I had never since a 12v battery message to that point in the 1 yr of owning the car) on the dash. The car would not go into ready mode and since was saying a 12v battery issue I went to my local repair shop on my street and they came to the car to replace the 12v battery which was dead at that point. He said that he was advised by Fiat that it would need to charge and then might need a system reset if it was not resolved. It continued to have the intermittent charging issue, going from 19% to 23%, so was towed to Fiat the next day.
I explain to Fiat the 12v warning and that the battery was replaced and that the mechanic who had replaced had been advised by Fiat it may need a reset after. He said they needed to run their own diagnostics and would get back to me. The next day he called to say that the PIM needed replaced and it would cost $7770 + tax, since my car was 3 weeks past it's 4yr warranty. I visited the dealership for more details and the general tone of the message was it is an expensive repair and not worth doing it, that when they have had this issue with other customers they have scraped the car. They did suggest attempting to get goodwill assistance from Fiat, gave me a number to call and would try on their end too. The helpline I called asked for no details of the situation other than the VIN and the part needing replaced and said no within a couple of minutes. I tired again to speak with another manager to give details of the issues and stress the timing of the problem compared to the end of warranty and that there is only 26000 miles on the car, again after a few minutes it was no.
After following up with the dealership numerous times on Dec 14th they advised there was nothing they could do their end either. I requested to have the part number and the diagnostic report to see the error codes so I could look into the option to get a used part and repair elsewhere or the value to sell for parts.
On the Dec 23rd they agreed to send me the diagnostics, however actually just sent a note on their invoice of "Tested and found failure of PIM. Recommend replace failed PIM", no codes. This invoice also had a description on the problem the car was brought in for per the customer which made no mention of the 12v battery!
and
I pushed to get a report and they finally sent this to me yesterday, Jan 5th, however they had two additional codes they had made no mention of before:
B23B0 - 00 - BPCM Fault
and

When I questioned why they have never mentioned the other to codes before now and that this was particularly strange when the EV battery is still under warranty (and they recommended I scrap the car initially), they became quite defensive and then when I mentioned that I had seen an example of the same two exact codes in other car that Fiat advised they meant the EV battery was dead and needed replaced (Clearing Warning Messages/Error Codes (updated)), they then said that the just double checked with the technician and that these two codes are automatic due to the PIM and would clear when the PIM was replaced...is that true???
I also asked them why there was no mention of the 12v battery on the notes, did the technicians have this info? And if they had attempted a reset - they changed from saying on Dec 29th that there was no reset that could be done:

and

What you might be referring to is a procedure called "Graceful Shutdown" to reactivate the high-voltage battery, but this can only be done when the vehicle will not go into the "Ready Mode". Your car is already in the "Ready Mode".

to yesterday after I sent them the info from this thread (COVID-19 Killed my car! - Error "Service Charging...) about Fiat of Glendale doing a reset and reprogram to resolve two of the codes I have and then I stopped by the dealership to discuss after, they told me "oh actually yesterday we had a second technician do another diagnostic so we could give you a report and he told me just now that he tried a reset too but it didn't work but he didn't mention this to me yesterday when he gave me the report"...

Do I believe them???

And regarding the four error codes, is it likely that this is a genuine blown PIM or these are all just false errors relating to the 12v battery issue?

Hi,

and
B23B0 - 00 - BPCM Fault
and

and

Do I believe them???

Hi,

and
B23B0 - 00 - BPCM Fault
and

and

Do I believe them???

I currently have my Fiat 500e at Champion Fiat in Downey and I am fighting them over the PIM needing to be replaced at $4800. It has been in the shop since October 8, 2021. Please tell me what is happening with you. I currently owe them $1500 because the replaced the charging port. I don't know what to do. My car is only worth about 5000. I'd love to talk to you. THanks. JC

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I currently have my Fiat 500e at Champion Fiat in Downey and I am fighting them over the PIM needing to be replaced at $4800. It has been in the shop since October 8, 2021. Please tell me what is happening with you. I currently owe them $1500 because the replaced the charging port. I don't know what to do. My car is only worth about 5000. I'd love to talk to you. THanks. JC
Hi JC,

I had my car towed from Fiat last week, since I was not prepared to pay $7700 +tax and they were not able to assist in any way. Interesting Fiat in Downey are looking for $3k less for the same part replacement at the same time!

However my car was returned missing it’s 12v battery, which they removed for some unknown reason, and I am still waiting for them to deliver another to replace so there is still no progress.

Were you able to make any progress with Champion Fiat?

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi JC,

I had my car towed from Fiat last week, since I was not prepared to pay $7700 +tax and they were not able to assist in any way. Interesting Fiat in Downey are looking for $3k less for the same part replacement at the same time!

However my car was returned missing it’s 12v battery, which they removed for some unknown reason, and I am still waiting for them to deliver another to replace so there is still no progress.

Were you able to make any progress with Champion Fiat?
I cannot believe your battery was missing. Today I got a response from a letter I wrote, by taking advice from this forum. The answer was still no. I have written the BBB and I am now waiting for Fiat to respond to them. I will keep you posted. What are you going to do with your fiat now?

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,739 Posts
I haven't re-read both of your incident histories, but I wonder if you've both been able to check for recalls by entering your VINs after you click here & also try all the resurrection tips YOURSELF (cuz I don't trust the dealers) which I've compiled over the last 6 years & just posted (click here), especially the recently-discovered contactor deactivation glitch which causes complete failure.

· Registered
447 Posts
I'm sorry you had such a tough time. You are correct that you should not have to replace the PIM unless they can demonstrate that it is in fact damaged.

What do you plan to do with the vehicle now?

ga2500ev

· Registered
14 Posts
Anyone interested in buying parts or my car. So
Hello! I am throwing in the towel. I have tried everything to get Fiat to pay for a new battery. There customer care is just a front as they can do nothing for you.
i am going to sell it for parts. It has a brand new 12v battery and a brand new charging port. They made me replace all those already.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts