Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

· Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover banished
79 Posts
The Fiat dealers are utterly clueless with the 500e, and Downey has a poor reputation to begin with.

Why not try an independent EV shop with an excellent reputation before giving up?

Hybrid Mechanic / Auto Repair - Electric Ave Silver Lake

I would have it towed to this shop. It’s only 15 miles from Downey. At least give them a call.

· Registered
447 Posts
Actually ETS, I would have to put my foot down at this point. The way that Fiat is handling bad batteries is wholly unacceptable.

Their SOP of swapping out the PIM before doing anything else is completely ridiculous. Especially when there is no diagnostic to determine if the PIM is problematic or not. If Fiat wants to do parts swapping, let them do it on their own dime.

At this point I'd pay a lawyer $100 to write a strongly worded letter to the dealer and Stellantis insisting that they honor the warranty. If they swap out the battery and it still doesn't work, then the PIM could be addressed as a possible cause.

It seems to me this is way Fiat is planning on killing all our 500e because they know that a $5000-7000 repair on a $4000 car makes absolutely no sense.

ga2500ev

· Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover banished
79 Posts
My bet is that both the PIM and battery are fine. The shaved apes at Downey Fiat don’t even know how to begin diagnosing the real problem. If you don’t want to try the list of simple fixes linked by ETS above, why not take it to Electric Avenue in Silver Lake for a try? I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they can get it going again easily and cheaply. Giving up and parting the car would be premature at this point.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thought I'd chime in with some interesting results. A customer of mine reported that FIAT quoted car needed a new PIM to fix his issue of not charging. Also $7700 quote. I replaced the PIM in his 2014 500e. The new PIM was sourced on eBay. After 18 hours under the hood, the dang car still won't charge. The car is throwing over a dozen fault codes in AlfaOBD so it could be anything. And I don't trust FIAT since they can't even get the diag right. I ended up buying the car for parts. I really focus on Tesla's so I'm a bit out of my element. Does anyone know how to get a hold of John from "the evolving world". His video's are great.

· Registered
3 Posts
Did you work your way through all 6 items on the list at the link in my post #22 above?

Here's a copy of the link: HOW TO FIX A "DEAD" 500E that won't start...
This is a great list. I went through all of it and tried everything you listed that I hadn't already tried (which was only, enable contactors). No luck. This car drove fine....until the day the HV battery ran down to 00 range but the contactors still have a solid "chunk" as of this writing. I am very interested in another thread that concluded with "found resistance of battery coolant heater to be out of spec". There are many little parts I could look at to see if they failed. Any ideas where in AlfaOBD I could poll this little guy?

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,735 Posts
Sorry I don't know where OBD shows that but maybe Google the dozen fault codes you mentioned, to see if any of them could be the coolant heater or something else, however, maybe first confirm this:

Someone else had the list of tricks fail after leaving the humidity sensor unplugged as the LAST step. Then they went through the list again & it worked. In other words, you have to leave the humidity sensor unplugged BEFORE steps 4 through 6 on that list. Maybe I should add a note about that on the list.

You know that driving uses the PIM. But based on post 26 above, I guess Fiat dealers don't know that, if it was driving but not charging, since that's not likely a PIM issue. Another user recently reported that after about 89,000 miles the onboard charger failed.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,735 Posts
I am very interested in another thread that concluded with "found resistance of battery coolant heater to be out of spec".
That thread's OBCM replacement & your own PIM replacement both required draining & refilling the power electronics coolant.

Another user replaced one of the liquid-cooled components & tried to test the car momentarily before refilling the coolant. The car wouldn't work because it sensed no coolant somewhere like maybe the battery heater.

Apparently there's a special procedure for bleeding the coolant, & if there's a bubble at some point like the heater, it would act as if there's no coolant there, preventing operation. That other thread does mention "coolant bleed" though, & it still didn't work until they replaced the coolant heater. EDIT: but check the sequence of events listed in my next post about it.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,735 Posts
I am very interested in another thread that concluded with "found resistance of battery coolant heater to be out of spec".
Here's the sequence of events for that incident (with my comments in parentheses):

- Car suddenly stopped charging but still drove.

- Dealer said it was a bad HV battery. (almost certainly wrong, since it was driving & charging fine, then suddenly wouldn't charge, but it still drove)

- Dealer drained both coolant systems to replace HV pack & onboard charger (likely actual cause)

- Dealer noted: "Perform coolant fill, alignment and brake bleed. Charged12v battery. Clear all codes." (no mention of coolant bleed so maybe they skipped that & it fried the coolant heater*, since I've still never heard of any others failing, even on older cars, over 4 years after this incident)

- Car wouldn't run. Replaced onboard charger again, :unsure: THIS time specified "performed coolant bleed". Still wouldn't run. *Replaced coolant heater & car was fine.

· Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
917 Posts
My 2017 is out of warranty and knocking on 60k miles now so far no issues but a little part of me fearing the $7700 PIM one day thats gonna do me a real good paperweight. And i am relying heavily on my e quite alot these days as gas is soared above $6 a gallon around my parts.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,735 Posts
$4700 +tax at Fiat in Downey, according to the OP, on page 1 of this thread.

However I didn't re-read every post to make sure they tried all the tricks in case it isn't really even the PIM at all. I'm pretty sure that if the car will drive, the PIM has to be ok.

· Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
917 Posts
$4700 +tax at Fiat in Downey, according to the OP, on page 1 of this thread.

However I didn't re-read every post to make sure they tried all the tricks in case it isn't really even the PIM at all. I'm pretty sure that if the car will drive, the PIM has to be ok.
At this point im willing to open the PIM and replace whats burned out before i fork over that sort of cash. Ive done a couple of inverter repairs on the Prius cant be that much different.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thought I'd chime in with some interesting results. A customer of mine reported that FIAT quoted car needed a new PIM to fix his issue of not charging. Also $7700 quote. I replaced the PIM in his 2014 500e. The new PIM was sourced on eBay. After 18 hours under the hood, the dang car still won't charge. The car is throwing over a dozen fault codes in AlfaOBD so it could be anything. And I don't trust FIAT since they can't even get the diag right. I ended up buying the car for parts. I really focus on Tesla's so I'm a bit out of my element. Does anyone know how to get a hold of John from "the evolving world". His video's are great.
I replaced my PIM and the car still does not charge. Fiat is just ignoring me. My car is sitting at the dealership since Oct 2021. So far I have replaced the small battery, the charging port and out of desperation allowed them to replaced the expensive PIM. How can they not honor a battery that is under warranty?

· Registered
917 Posts
I replaced my PIM and the car still does not charge. Fiat is just ignoring me. My car is sitting at the dealership since Oct 2021. So far I have replaced the small battery, the charging port and out of desperation allowed them to replaced the expensive PIM. How can they not honor a battery that is under warranty?
As someone who works in the dealership business it’s kind of hard to warranty something that doesn’t pull a code for. If there are no codes that says straight up there’s a problem with the battery cell it’s hard to submit that for warranty and the dealership might end up eating a $13,000 battery. It’s stupid *** this but does the contactor even make a connection to the HV battery? Do you hear the loud clicking noise? What codes are they pulling?

· Registered
14 Posts
As someone who works in the dealership business it’s kind of hard to warranty something that doesn’t pull a code for. If there are no codes that says straight up there’s a problem with the battery cell it’s hard to submit that for warranty and the dealership might end up eating a $13,000 battery. It’s stupid *** this but does the contactor even make a connection to the HV battery? Do you hear the loud clicking noise? What codes are they pulling?
When I speak with the dealership. I get very little details. They just say that Fiat is the issue. It sounds crazy but they have my car and offer no info. My next step is small claims. I even went through the BBB and their response was that I have to change the PIM first and then they will honor the battery. But they still didn’t

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,735 Posts
...still does not charge... sitting at the dealership since Oct 2021.
I, too was wondering about any contactor "clunk", however, the above quote indicates a minimum of 25 weeks without charging.

A recent report indicates a minimum of 3.3% loss per week, so that would be 82% loss. Unless it was higher than that when it first failed to charge, the HV pack is likely truly dead:

How to Completely KILL a 500e (3 easy methods, click here)

At that point, according to the Service Training Manual (click here):
  • PIM into standby/turn off DC-to-DC converter/open high-voltage battery contactors
  • This state remains until a plug-in charging event is detected (pg 90, pdf pg 98)
So the contactors would no longer clunk closed by opening the left door or turning the key. If something was preventing charging, like an OnBoard Charger failure, the contactors would never close.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts