Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else toying with the idea of Plasti Dip?

I'm looking to take care of all the chrome parts on the car such as rear hatch handle, the front mustache and not sure if i could do the door handles? maybe the handles would be better wrapped since they get a lot of use.
and since GiGi is Giallo maybe I'll do the wheels as well would work as winter salt protection at the same time and i could always put it back to stock if i get bored!:cool:

I already bought the paint and the painters tape and etching to use'em :p

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have and I may have posted something about it somewhere around here, I think I might order the blue spray type and do some spraying to my rims for a change of pace for the winter. Undecided but I have located a source for the blue spray in the event you want some, it isn't as available as the black or red.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have and I may have posted something about it somewhere around here, I think I might order the blue spray type and do some spraying to my rims for a change of pace for the winter. Undecided but I have located a source for the blue spray in the event you want some, it isn't as available as the black or red.
I think the wild winter setup colors work better if your starting of with a conservative colors such as black, white, blue and red. not sure if i can use blue wheels on a yellow car too much :)

i guess im just gonna stick with the yellow on black theme.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Interesting idea. I'd sure like to see how it looks and how well it protects. Are you certain that removing the dip will not damage the surface it's put onto?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
What he said...youtube has loads of people doing it and it looks ideal, I haven't decided if I will for sure do it but I am not at all worried about it if or when I do, we shall see what happens, if I decide to do so rest assured I will be posting pictures and details, concerns, issues or whatever comes from the project. I may just get a different set of rims but I like the idea of staying with the stock ones and having them look unique.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is what i did today, its not perfect since 1 of the virtues i'm low on is patience, so instead of waiting 15 mins between coats i thought 3-5 mins is plenty

So, without further due

Front Emblem and stash

Rear Emblem and handle

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nice. Did you mask them, or remove them to apply the dip? I'm assuming you used the spray-on PlastiDip.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I'm looking to take care of all the chrome parts on the car such as rear hatch handle, the front mustache and not sure if i could do the door handles? maybe the handles would be better wrapped since they get a lot of use.
and since GiGi is Giallo maybe I'll do the wheels as well would work as winter salt protection at the same time and i could always put it back to stock if i get bored!:cool:

It may be a tad late but my car chrome parts have been plasti dipped black. They match the front fascia of the car. Great way to rid of chrome, specially on the door handles.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know what happened to the orig pix, but here they are again.

i'll try to take off the mirrors again tomorrow to spray them as well. door handles might need to be wrapped!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 Questions:

1: did you remove the handles?
2: how hard was it?
3:how is it holding up?

ooh ooh 1 more, how many coats? :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
3 Questions:

1: did you remove the handles?
2: how hard was it?
3:how is it holding up?

ooh ooh 1 more, how many coats? :)
1.) Don't worry about removing the handles, it is not necessary. You don't even need to tape around them because this stuff comes off. But clean the surrounding areas right away (with a wet sham) because it is easier to take off.

2.) Not hard, just wait the recommended amount of time within coats because then it starts to look like clotting. But it's not hard you just have to have some patience. :D

3.) Ah, it looks beautiful and it is holding up quite nice. And if for whatever reason it chips or something, just peal it off. Not a problem. This will work for the handles until they start making non-chrome ones.

Funny how we did the same thing.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1.) Don't worry about removing the handles, it is not necessary. You don't even need to tape around them because this stuff comes off. But clean the surrounding areas right away (with a wet sham) because it is easier to take off.

2.) Not hard, just wait the recommended amount of time within coats because then it starts to look like clotting. But it's not hard you just have to have some patience. :D

3.) Ah, it looks beautiful and it is holding up quite nice. And if for whatever reason it chips or something, just peal it off. Not a problem. This will work for the handles until they start making non-chrome ones.

Funny how we did the same thing.
OK then, ill give it a shot after I do the mirrors. :)

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Did you dip the handles as well? If anyone did, will they stay good?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.