Fiat 500 Forum banner

Would you like to have an OBDII tuner option?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, we managed 79 for November. Not the goal, but closer than expected. Rally the troops throughout the rest of December and see what support we can gather this month.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmm..surprised no one else has had anything to say in here. Several other people are now working on plug-in tuner solutions as we speak now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm getting a bench tune today

Hmm..surprised no one else has had anything to say in here. Several other people are now working on plug-in tuner solutions as we speak now.
shadowshaggy, thanks for all the time and effort you spent trying to set up a tune for us. It's to bad that in spite of our communities interest, the vendor you talked to never came through with a tune. I voted that I wanted one but now I will no longer be interested. I'm getting a Tork tune today. 200whp, 220fpt, air to fuel ratios in the 11's. I've seen the graphs in person and heard the beautiful sound the tune makes. Smooth, refined, and powerful. The future is here!
P.S. TMC box for sale....:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
shadowshaggy, thanks for all the time and effort you spent trying to set up a tune for us. It's to bad that in spite of our communities interest, the vendor you talked to never came through with a tune. I voted that I wanted one but now I will no longer be interested. I'm getting a Tork tune today. 200whp, 220fpt, air to fuel ratios in the 11's. I've seen the graphs in person and heard the beautiful sound the tune makes. Smooth, refined, and powerful. The future is here!
You will absolutely love it :D

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will absolutely love it :D

You guys do know we are about to have a hand held tune like the one you guy are getting (BUT without the opening and potential dealer problems from that opening) in the very near future I hope. If it is a must have right now then you'll want to go for the option you currently are looking at but just wanted to make sure you all were aware of the other options to make the best choice for your wants.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Tweak. I hope you get it soon!
I do wonder if the dealer will still be able to see you reprogrammed the box. I'm told that the dealer can easly tell
the box has been reprogrammed through the obd2 port. I could very well be wrong.
I've been told this is why tork chooses to open up the ecu to do his tune. I talked to him at length anout it and I trust him.
To tell the truth I am more than happy to let Tork open up my box. I've seen how good his tune and I will have it today.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads up Tweak. I hope you get it soon!
I do wonder if the dealer will still be able to see you reprogrammed the box. I'm told that the dealer can easly tell
the box has been reprogrammed through the obd2 port. I could very well be wrong.
I've been told this is why tork chooses to open up the ecu to do his tune. I talked to him at length anout it and I trust him.
To tell the truth I am more than happy to let Tork open up my box. I've seen how good his tune and I will have it today.
No rush to make any changes due to lack of $ for mods but I just wanted to mention it to those worried about opening the ECU. Either can be seen by the dealer in one fashion or another so each has its own pros and cons, from what I've read Tork (John) has been doing well with his offering with excepetion to an issue with one of the 2012 Abarths.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tweak, when and who will be releasing this? Days, weeks, months?
Last word mentioned being ready before the FIAT on the Dragon meet which is early April. As to who since they are not vendors here I cannot go into detail, they will be releasing it via a vendor on the "other" forum. The tune has been working well for the main tester for a few months and they expect the handheld units sometime soon but I can't make any promises this will happen as soon they expect but we won't know until they actually release it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Would this be Cobb Tuning or similar in style? If so that is great for running a stage one tune and being able to falsh back to OEM ECU settings for when you go to the dealership for work. Really looking forward to something like this so that the warranty can be kept but I can get a bit more out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would this be Cobb Tuning or similar in style? If so that is great for running a stage one tune and being able to falsh back to OEM ECU settings for when you go to the dealership for work. Really looking forward to something like this so that the warranty can be kept but I can get a bit more out of the car.

I think it will be somewhat like that but really I am just relaying what I have read and what I know from speaking to the guy, you'd really need to speak with him to get any details as I have pretty much offered all I have been told.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You guys do know we are about to have a hand held tune like the one you guy are getting (BUT without the opening and potential dealer problems from that opening) in the very near future I hope. If it is a must have right now then you'll want to go for the option you currently are looking at but just wanted to make sure you all were aware of the other options to make the best choice for your wants.
Not too concerned. I don't care about engine/drivetrain warranty. I bought this car for this reason. The best option as far as I'm concerned has to do with the tune itself, not how it was uploaded to my ECU.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not too concerned. I don't care about engine/drivetrain warranty. I bought this car for this reason. The best option as far as I'm concerned has to do with the tune itself, not how it was uploaded to my ECU.

Right on, just wanted to make sure and try offering info that might be useful. Either option seems to give the desired results so not pushing either on anyone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's several folks on the verge of a hand-held, just be patient guys. I let you know how this comes along. Tork even threatened to be working on a hand-held.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'm going to throw this out there... just because.

i have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. (heavy and under powered) i bought a hypertech tuner. it bricked my TIPM. it was literally BARELY under warranty and the dealer replaced the TIPM. at that time, Hypertech was the first to market... and "bricking" was somewhat common.

i later bought a Diablosport Trinity. awesome tool. download/upload speed was excellent and tunability was sweet. until last month. i need to update my tune since installing a new aftermarket fan. now tuner wont communicate with vehicle or computer. apparently its becoming a common occurance. :(

as for the dealer being able to tell? yes. they can tell if you have an aftermarket tune. in chrysler vehicles (starscan), if the programmer detects an "out of date" program, it will install a new program on the computer (TIPM). If your tuner was married at the time, and the dealer replaces the tune, then you'll have to get the tuner reset by the manufacturer. thats why all companies suggest that you return your tune to stock before taking the vehicle in for service or repairs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts