Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! About a week ago I bought a used 2016 Fiat 500e and I'm trying to figure out whether the battery performance is normal or not. The mileage is about 40500. After fully charging the battery, I drove 8 miles and the battery went from 100% to 85%.
At the dealership, they said the battery is okay, but such performance means I cannot do any trips longer than 2-3 hours without having to recharge the battery.
What do you think? Is there something wrong with the car, or am I asking too much from it?

(This is my first car, and I never drove an electric before).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to measure trips by hours with an EV. Use the distance.

15 percent for 8 miles is a little much, but there are many factors involved. It's your driving style, heating usage, uphills and so on.

On my 2016, with 80K kilometres on the clock, I do about 144 kilometres (90 miles) on a warm summer day, two passengers and full load of groceries.

However if I have some more fun, or drive to a ski hill at -20 C, it could be a 100 kilometres (62 miles) just as well.

By the way, my daughter once a few kilometres with the handbrake not fully released. As you can imagine, that lowered the range significantly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! For this trip, I didn't use heating, and the AC was pretty low. No uphills at all. Lots of traffic if that matters so I had to stop frequently...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Keeping an eye on your mi/kWh is a good way to monitor how efficiently you are driving. Efficient driving will yield over 4.5 mi/kWh. Really conservative driving will give you over 5 mi/kWh.

One thing you'll find is that efficiency can be bad on the first part of the trip. The thermal management system will take a bit of energy to condition the battery to the optimal temperature. Once at temperature you may notice the efficiency improve. If you really want to maximize the range, you can precondition the car by turning it on while it is plugged in before you drive. I've never had the need to do this so I'm not sure how long it would take (maybe 10 or 15 minutes?). This could be part of why the drop you saw was so severe.

In moderate temperatures (60F to 90F) you can expect 80 to 90+ miles of range driving at reasonable speeds (under 60 mph) if your battery is in good condition. So expecting more than 2 hours of driving at 40+ mph is not realistic.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
I drove 8 miles and the battery went from 100% to 85%... Lots of traffic if that matters so I had to stop frequently...
If you start at 100% there is no regen at all for the first few miles since there's no capacity left in the battery to absorb the energy. Even after regen becomes active, it's only partial, with only some of the energy recuperated. It doesn't kick in fully until I think below about 90%. So any braking in the first 10 miles or so reduces efficiency.

You can see all that as you drive, just by tapping the wiper stalk tip. That brings up your real-time power/regen kW right in the middle of the speedometer. That's my best motivator to drive efficiently.

You can also see that there's never any regen at all below about 7mph, where kW suddenly switches from negative (regen) to 0. That means STOP & go is never as efficient as if you can stay above 6mph.

Also, the humidity sensor can run the A/C compressor without even lighting its button! I unplugged mine over 5 years ago to stop that: Humidity Sensor SUCKS! (until you unplug it)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would not exactly trust that gauge on the dash display. It goes up and down like a yo yo. I think that total milage of around 85+ maybe 90 is correct but it is NOT a traveling car. I will also say when it gets down to say 20 miles that is probably quite accurate. Also do not forget air conditioning or heat brings it down!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
The appropriately-nicknamed "Guess-O-Meter" (GOM) does go "up and down like a yo yo"

However, above we've been discussing the % gauge instead. It's much more accurate, especially from around 50% up. At the bottom end it has been reported to eventually go so far out of calibration that it reads as much as 20% lower than actual capacity:

Regain Lost Range for Free!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts