Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popular Mechanics Names Fiat Multiair Engine the March "Engine of the Month"

Popular Mechanics provides a pretty good description on how the Fiat engine utilizes variable intake valve lift and timing to optimize horsepower and torque calling the Fiat engine "the most novel" among "These systems that are becoming more common". It also details how the intake valve system utilizes hydraulics and computer control to maximize efficiency through precise intake valve timing, duration and lift control. Surprisingly, in spite of what would appear to be a pretty complex system, PM calls it "simple and compact" and "not an expensive add-on". Finally, they ended the article by stating "Expect Multiair to spread through Fiat's--and Chrysler's--lineup". Interesting reading. I would have posted a link, but I read the article in my iPad version of PM and could not find the article in a quick search of the PM public website.

It makes me wonder if the next generation version of the ECU mods that RRM and others are doing will include not only remapped timing curves, but also an intake valve timing/duration/lift logic change. Hey, it would be like doing a cam swap, or throwing on an adjustable cam gear with just a computer tweak. (not to minimize what is likely a significant discovery and re-mapping effort of the ECU).

·
Registered
376 Posts
The 1.4 is an awsome little engine. I love the fact that it has a forged steel crankshaft,forged steel rods and forged aluminum pistons. The low tension piston rings are straight out of F1. The quality of the parts in the engine are what people paid big bucks for in a racing engine not all that long ago. Even the lowest priced pop has the makings of a race engine in it.:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about but it all sounds good. For me if the engine (and the rest of the car for that matter) lasts a long time and is trouble free I will be a Fiat Fan for life..

·
Registered
255 Posts
The 1.4 is an awsome little engine. I love the fact that it has a forged steel crankshaft,forged steel rods and forged aluminum pistons. The low tension piston rings are straight out of F1. The quality of the parts in the engine are what people paid big bucks for in a racing engine not all that long ago. Even the lowest priced pop has the makings of a race engine in it.:D
Remember, the FIAT is the everyman's Ferrari! There's some shared engineering, after all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read the article on my iPad March version of PM. Did a quick search of the PM website, but could not find it. Maybe someone has a subscription to an online digital version and could post the link? It was in the section "Engine of the Month".

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
The 1.4 is an awsome little engine. I love the fact that it has a forged steel crankshaft,forged steel rods and forged aluminum pistons.
Didn't know it has forged internals. Where did you get this information from? That's great news if I decided to go with a mild turbo setup.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The FIRE engine design that is utilized in the FIAT 500 has been around a long time and is very reliable. There is a reason why FIAT chose this car and more specifcally this engine to re-introduce itself to North America. They obviously wanted to make sure that they had a car on the street that would perform with few issues

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone know the compression ratio in the non Abarth or T versions? A nice hotside supercharger for cars that didn't come with a turbo could be great, assuming someone figures out how to make the ECU work with it (and the rods/transmission can handle it). I sheared the teeth off gear 3 in my Miata because it makes too much power :rolleyes:. I assume the rest of the engine (head, cam, etc) should be the same as the Abarth, minus a few changes for reliability with boost, no?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain only the Abarth (maybe the T?) comes from the factory with a forged crank and rods.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
It makes me wonder if the next generation version of the ECU mods that RRM and others are doing will include not only remapped timing curves, but also an intake valve timing/duration/lift logic change. Hey, it would be like doing a cam swap, or throwing on an adjustable cam gear with just a computer tweak. (not to minimize what is likely a significant discovery and re-mapping effort of the ECU).
I've wondered about that as well, seems like willingness to require a higher octane fuel could mean some "simple" remapping to get some more umph out of the base engine, well within the specs of the rest of the drivetrain <-- I can be optimistic right? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts