Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to visit the Portland dealer this week to shop for a 500. Do any of you have a salesperson you'd recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been there twice, not a bad experience, informative guy there named Ryan. He's a good salesman too. My second visit should have been like my first, but wasn't. The car really "hooks" you - and is best seen a second time, two weeks later so you can gather your wits and read up, on the car. My second visit was more realistic and Ryan was less enthused to greet me, as I didn't buy one the first time, normal to occur from anyone selling anything. He knows his product well I think...but when you go - plan on coming back before you make any decisions - it'll serve you well. Have you read the various posts about this car on this forum about various issues, squeaks, A/C dumps into the cabin, dash warning lights radomly coming on/off, leaks, etc? Well then, read them. Patience is a virtue in car buying too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would also say make sure you take a test drive that will allow you to get a good sense of the Sport mode. I notice a big diff with it with my Sport model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been there twice, not a bad experience, informative guy there named Ryan. He's a good salesman too. My second visit should have been like my first, but wasn't. The car really "hooks" you - and is best seen a second time, two weeks later so you can gather your wits and read up, on the car. My second visit was more realistic and Ryan was less enthused to greet me, as I didn't buy one the first time, normal to occur from anyone selling anything. He knows his product well I think...but when you go - plan on coming back before you make any decisions - it'll serve you well. Have you read the various posts about this car on this forum about various issues, squeaks, A/C dumps into the cabin, dash warning lights radomly coming on/off, leaks, etc? Well then, read them. Patience is a virtue in car buying too.
Thanks, Dan. Do you think you'll buy one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dropped in on the Portland dealer Tuesday and the experience was excellent. Was greeted by Bryce Gehlen, the sales manager (his card says FIAT Studio Lead). He gave me a perfect, low key, walk-though of the models, features and options. Turned out they had just received the exact model I was interested in: red Sport with manual transmission and satellite radio. Still covered in plastic wrap. Pricing is what it says on the sticker with no discounts and no add-ons.

I came "this close" to signing up, but chose to reflect overnight and ultimately decided to wait a while.

Some interesting tidbits:
~ Bryce said that it's been taking about two months to receive cars that were special ordered.
~ I'd guess that they had about 40 cars on the lot.
~ Those of you from the area will know the name Ron Tonkin. He's been a fixture in the Portland car scene for decades and owns this store. Bryce said he's semi-retired, but his grandson, Alex Tonkin, is the GM of the FIAT dealership.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I dropped in on the Portland dealer Tuesday and the experience was excellent. Was greeted by Bryce Gehlen, the sales manager (his card says FIAT Studio Lead). He gave me a perfect, low key, walk-though of the models, features and options. Turned out they had just received the exact model I was interested in: red Sport with manual transmission and satellite radio. Still covered in plastic wrap. Pricing is what it says on the sticker with no discounts and no add-ons.

I came "this close" to signing up, but chose to reflect overnight and ultimately decided to wait a while.

Some interesting tidbits:
~ Bryce said that it's been taking about two months to receive cars that were special ordered.
~ I'd guess that they had about 40 cars on the lot.
~ Those of you from the area will know the name Ron Tonkin. He's been a fixture in the Portland car scene for decades and owns this store. Bryce said he's semi-retired, but his grandson, Alex Tonkin, is the GM of the FIAT dealership.
I can confirm the 2 month wait on a custom order...I think some folks on here may have waited a tad longer than that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Blacter, I don't know - leaning towards no though. Reason: first year car here in the states. I've read plenty of posts now and had a fair share of my own posts, asking questions. The main thing I'm finding is this: inconsistent quality, inconsistent reliablity and inconsistent dealership experience, etc. In todays day and age, I will not worry about my car - and if I were to purchase a Fiat - there's a good chance I would worry - about whether or not it will consistently start, every time, (like my Tacoma) that I've started for a straight 6 years, never one glitch, not one.

I do really like the car, but after many of the posts that I've read about owner experience, I just can't quite bring myself to tear away from Toyota. Heck, my 31 year old MGB is more solid is many aspects, to these Fiats. I'm torn. The re-sale of the Fiat is untested and there's been no official crash test results with this car as it's build for the US standards.

What are you going to do on the 500, get one or no?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think that's wise - wait for all the current owners/testers - to see how this car shakes out. I am tempted, but why spend the money now - I'll wait - the cars hopefully, will "still be there!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts