Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edited 1/7/23

If you purchase any 500e these 5 simple actions will keep it running:

• Check the VIN's recalls/"campaigns" fixed free at any FCA dealer, to reduce the chance of permanent drive battery damage. Click here or go to Mopar.com & note that "campaigns" like the critical U69 are now on a separate tab :rolleyes:. Do not use the NHTSA site, since it doesn't show there. Click to enlarge pics:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

• Get a 65¢ wingnut (M8 x 1.25) or carry a wrench or pliers to disconnect the 12V starter battery if it ever needs a reboot in order to start/charge:
Gas Cable Lock Electrical wiring Electric blue

• Leave the humidity sensor unplugged. It creates many false alarms. Some prevent starting/charging. Or carry a round toothpick to unplug when needed. Middle fingers in holes, pull away from glass, toothpick parallel to glass, push in to wedge black socket open & unplug:
Circuit component Electronic engineering Machine Hardware programmer Computer hardware
  • Carry a $16 wireless OBD dongle & $49 lifetime-membership Adroid-only AlfaOBD app in case you get a contactor glitch that prevents starting/charging until you do the 14 taps on the app. If you have an iphone, or you share the car, put the app on a $30 Amazon Android (no service needed, just download on wifi) & leave it charging off the glovebox USB.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Rectangle Slope Font Line Water
  • Get a $26 battery alarm, since the built-in one only activates AFTER the car dies :rolleyes:, & jumpstarting doesn't always work. Or use a $10 volt gauge periodically after the 12V battery is 2 years old. Click here for the thread on this forum:
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior

Optional preparation for key loss:

If you only have one key, & you lose it, it costs $1500 + towing (click here for explanation), so you might want to get a proper $400 transponder copy at a dealer, or else get some cheap unprogrammed copies, then glue the good one inside the steering column cover & use the cheap ones to lock/unlock/start.

Optional(?) safety prep:

Optional 12V longevity prep:
Add a chunk of styrofoam insulation:
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Someone reported over a year ago that their 500e 12V died so bad it couldn't jumpstart, but I thought that was rare enough to not matter. Now someone else just reported that 2 different AAA trucks were unable to jump their 500e's dead 12V battery. So apparently the most reliable method to avoid inconvenience is replacement after 2 years (which seems pretty wasteful) or a voltage gauge, so I have edited the original post accordingly.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what does the styrofoam do? ...and thanks for tip on hood cover, i'll pull it.
It's the plastic motor cover that should be deleted, to allow heat to escape when charging with the hood open (doesn't seem to help with the hood closed).

The styrofoam insulation insulates the battery from the heat of the adjacent OBCM & the PIM right below that. The OBC gets so hot after a few minutes of L2 that I can barely put my hand on it.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If the car doesn't start, check the 1st post here:

How to use AlfaOBD is here:

What to check is item 1 of post 1 here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts