Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not see one started yet so I thought perhaps we can get a thread started that addresses the actual weights of individual parts.

Why?

Because small cars HATE weight. Their small motors do not like lugging around anything more than necessary, and when you manage the weight of your car as you modify it, it will reward you with better acceleration, braking, and fuel economy. Typically, for every 10 lbs of "sprung" weight, you gain a performance advantage of roughly 1 horsepower. In other words if you can stand to lose 50 lbs, you have just improved your acceleration as much as that fancy new cold air intake you just installed.

Another item of note is rotational weight, such as wheels, tires, brake rotors, flywheels, crank pullies etc.. These items are even more power sensitive, with just a 3lb weight loss giving you a 1 hp advantage. This is where lightweight flywheels and tire/wheel packages really come into play. For example, if you change out a stock set of 16" sport alloys and go to a blingy looking set of 18's, figure you probably gained between 5-10 lbs per wheel and you now need 7-14hp just to give the car the same acceleration it had when you were stock.

So first order of business... list out the weights of the parts that may be removable and replaced/deleted with a lighter substitute. I will start with listing out the following 3 removable items I weighed on a postal scale:

Under seat air compressor: 4lbs, 10oz.
Pop hubcaps: 5lbs 4oz (set of 4)
Front OEM Floor mats: 3lbs 1 oz.

Looking forward to seeing what else people have removed and weighed :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
great thread idea, unfortunately I don't have weights on most stuff I have installed.

I will make note in the future. trailer hitch is probably 35lbs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I did not see one started yet so I thought perhaps we can get a thread started that addresses the actual weights of individual parts.

Why?

Because small cars HATE weight. Their small motors do not like lugging around anything more than necessary, and when you manage the weight of your car as you modify it, it will reward you with better acceleration, braking, and fuel economy. Typically, for every 10 lbs of "sprung" weight, you gain a performance advantage of roughly 1 horsepower. In other words if you can stand to lose 50 lbs, you have just improved your acceleration as much as that fancy new cold air intake you just installed.

Another item of note is rotational weight, such as wheels, tires, brake rotors, flywheels, crank pullies etc.. These items are even more power sensitive, with just a 3lb weight loss giving you a 1 hp advantage. This is where lightweight flywheels and tire/wheel packages really come into play. For example, if you change out a stock set of 16" sport alloys and go to a blingy looking set of 18's, figure you probably gained between 5-10 lbs per wheel and you now need 7-14hp just to give the car the same acceleration it had when you were stock.

So first order of business... list out the weights of the parts that may be removable and replaced/deleted with a lighter substitute. I will start with listing out the following 3 removable items I weighed on a postal scale:

Under seat air compressor: 4lbs, 10oz.
Pop hubcaps: 5lbs 4oz (set of 4)
Front OEM Floor mats: 3lbs 1 oz.

Looking forward to seeing what else people have removed and weighed :)
Stock sport rims are 19.8 lbs.

Thank God for your post. I was wondering when and if someone would bring up the fact that the larger rims and tires weigh more and make the car slower. You can get light weight larger rims but that same model rim in a smaller size will net you lighter weight and more speed. It should handle better and be more nimble.(the suspension is better able to keep the rubber in contact with the pavement)This isn't as much of a problem for people with cars that have big HP. For us small and light car guys it's a problem. Wheel/tire weight is the main reason I'm going for 16's on the Abarth. Sure the big rims look good but from what I know the exta weight is significant. I would love to be proven wrong on this as the white 17's would look great on my Abarth. Please make me eat my words.:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
where the weight is matters too on wheels. equal weight 16s and 17s are not apples/apples. Weight closer to the hub has a lesser affect than weight on the outer portion of the wheel.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Passenger 120LBS.
Problem is that I have to keep re installing it after successfully removing it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Mine is *135. I suggested cross drilling her for weight reduction but was slapped.

*thanks girl scouts of america

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Rear exhaust "can" think it was weighed by another member to be 9.2lbs, I had guessed about 10 and I love it being gone, now it makes a nice growl it lacked.
9.2 pounds was the amount of weight I saved by switching from the stock exhaust to the Borla cat back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only way my car is going to get any lighter is for me to start going to weight watchers or something.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Know how much the actual rear resonator/pipe part weighs on it's own?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just weighed the stock OE Pop 15x6 steel wheel and 185/55-15 Firehawk GT tire... 31lbs 10oz. Lighter than I thought. I'm impressed :)

To add the Pop hubcap puts my existing OEM setup at 32lbs, 15oz a corner, or 131lb 12oz for the 4 wheel set.

Gonna be hard to improve on that :(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Know how much the actual rear resonator/pipe part weighs on it's own?

Are you referring to what the rear stock can weighs by itself?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you referring to what the rear stock can weighs by itself?
I mean from the natural removal point ( exhaust clamp near the rear axle to the chrome tip ).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I mean from the natural removal point ( exhaust clamp near the rear axle to the chrome tip ).
Thats exactly what I meant. I have mine out in the garage. I'll see if I can drag it out and weigh it thiis weekend.

Reactions: zonker

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, I had the rear muffler removed and I weighed it... 12 lbs, 10 oz.
The replacement pipe I had made weighs 4 lbs 5 oz.

More weights:
Rear headrests - 1 lb, 12 oz ea.
Rear Package Shelf (if you can call it that lol) - 13 oz.
Steel Pop Wheel - 14 lb 7 oz.
Steel Wheel and Pop Hubcap - 15 lbs 12 oz.
Rota Shakotan 15x6 15et - 13 lbs 7 oz.
Firestone Firehawk GT P185/55-15 - 16 lbs 3 oz

Weight removed from my stock Pop so far... sprung: 18 lbs, unsprung: 9 lbs
Just like adding 5hp to the motor :D

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rota RB 15x6 15mm offset - 14 lbs 2 oz.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts