Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Can anyone comment on the ride difference between the Sport and the Lounge, particularly in the cabrio? After owning a MINI convertible and enduring its punishing ride -- due in part to the run flat tires -- I'm leaning more towards the softer touring suspension. But if the ride of the Sport and the Lounge aren't all that different...

2. Can the Convenience Package be added at the dealership?

3. What's with all of the beige soft tops? Rame is probably my top color choice -- even more attractive live than in pix -- with Azzurro and Nero as runners-up. But all of the cabrio Lounges I'm finding online have beige tops! Frustrating. Beyond the fact that I think all three colors look better with either Bordeaux or Nero tops, I just don't know about owning another light-colored soft top. Impossible to keep clean. Had a T-bird a couple of years ago with a tan top and the black streaks (from being folded) drove me n-u-t-s.

Anyone have a beige-top 500c who can comment?

Anyone starting to see these colors show up with the darker tops?

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can't get the Sport in a convertible. They say the suspension on the Sport is tighter. Can't really say. I was torn between the Sport and a convertible but chose the asport because I do no garage my car and the sun here in FL would ruin the cloth top in no time.

The siver and the darker grey with the Bordeaux top look great, but that is just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also owned a Mini with run flat tires. Worst riding car I ever owned. My 500 Cabrio is an absolute pleasure to drive. I test drove the Sport as well as the Cabrio and decided I really wanted a convertible. I thought the Cabrio ride was just a little softer than the Sport. After 3,600 miles of drive, I have no regrests about my decision. Go for the convertible. You won't be sorry. This is what mine looks like. Nero Black with a beige soft top and two tone ivory and brown leather interior. Chrome gas cover just added today. BTW the beige soft top is not difficult to care for. I use a product called Raggtopp and it does a great job of cleaning the roof. They also have a silicone spray that protects the top from UV rays as well as staining.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
I own, a loaded sport. Love the looks of the sport, and its wheels. Don't know why they don't put 16" on the Lounge model. It rides nice on the highway. Make me smile. I think, the siver and the darker grey with the Bordeaux top look great too, with a red and white interior. Wish the sport came in a soft top. But I got a power sunroof, which suits me well. Was playing, cat and mouse with dark grey sport 500, on the highway this morning. Drive it!!!! You'll love the car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Your best bet to see if you like the suspension is to go to your dealer, and ask for an extended test drive in one, as there is a set of roads you want to drive on to see how harsh it is on those bumps. They will be more than happy to hand you the keys, and let you go do your thing.

As for the convenience package, which part of the package is it that you actually want? Heated seats are something your dealer can add. The spare tire kit can be added, but it will cost a lot more than the package. I don't believe you can upgrade the radio or the hvac controls at the dealer, however to the parts that come in the package.

As for the top issue, have you considered just getting a non-convertible version, but with the sunroof instead? That might meet your needs better.

BC.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
I don't think the dealer can add the convenience package, to any car. Mo-par is offing a dealer install spare tire package, in the future. I got a 500 (Make your Mark), accessories catalog. Second page from the rear it mentions a spare tire kit, coming soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also owned a Mini with run flat tires. Worst riding car I ever owned. My 500 Cabrio is an absolute pleasure to drive. I test drove the Sport as well as the Cabrio and decided I really wanted a convertible. I thought the Cabrio ride was just a little softer than the Sport. After 3,600 miles of drive, I have no regrests about my decision. Go for the convertible. You won't be sorry. This is what mine looks like. Nero Black with a beige soft top and two tone ivory and brown leather interior. Chrome gas cover just added today. BTW the beige soft top is not difficult to care for. I use a product called Raggtopp and it does a great job of cleaning the roof. They also have a silicone spray that protects the top from UV rays as well as staining.
Sweet, nero. Have to admit, the beige top works with the black.

With you on the MINI. Brutal ride. MINI gave me a loaner, a non-S, when my convertible was in for service once, and I couldn't get over how much more pleasant the ride was without the cursed run-flats.

I'm leaning toward the cabrio. Don't miss the MINI ride but certainly do miss the convertible experience.

How often do you clean your ragtop to keep it 100%?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't get the Sport in a convertible. They say the suspension on the Sport is tighter. Can't really say. I was torn between the Sport and a convertible but chose the asport because I do no garage my car and the sun here in FL would ruin the cloth top in no time.

The siver and the darker grey with the Bordeaux top look great, but that is just my $.02 worth.
Torn between a 500 Lounge and a 500c Lounge. But then I think, well, if I'm considering the 500 Lounge should I be considering the 500 Sport instead. I like what I read about the better handling of the Sport, but after the you-feel-every-road-imperfection of the MINI I want a bit more "cush."

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your best bet to see if you like the suspension is to go to your dealer, and ask for an extended test drive in one, as there is a set of roads you want to drive on to see how harsh it is on those bumps. They will be more than happy to hand you the keys, and let you go do your thing.

As for the convenience package, which part of the package is it that you actually want? Heated seats are something your dealer can add. The spare tire kit can be added, but it will cost a lot more than the package. I don't believe you can upgrade the radio or the hvac controls at the dealer, however to the parts that come in the package.

As for the top issue, have you considered just getting a non-convertible version, but with the sunroof instead? That might meet your needs better.

BC.
:confused::confused::confused: Maybe I've got it confused. I thought the Convenience Package was the heated seats, auto-dim mirror, and rear assist sensors.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rented and drove the Pop for a weekend and thought the ride was jittery. Then I tested the Sport and perfered the ride. The ride seemed smoother and more solid. The seats are more comfortable too. I like the cabrio but never tested one. With the cabrio you lose the hatch back which I believe is really handy.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My lowered 500C with 17 inch wheels retained 90% of it's orginal ride quality. I think the difference in the sport and Lounge/Pop is the shorter sidewall due to 16 inch wheels. I know it's stated that the two a different with regard to shock valving, but those differences were not overly noticeable.

The sport has higher seat bolsters that keep you placed in the seat a little better. The bolsters are not as high as I have had in previous cars. You still move around a bit.

If you plan on keeping the car 100% stock, the sport is much better looking IMO. If you are planning on going with a larger wheel and tire package and changing out the springs and shocks, you can save a little skrilla by going with a pop model and doing whatever you want.

Or, if you are a big doofus like me, buy a spec'd out lounge and do it anyway. That way, you get to pay a premium price AND pay for all the other stuff you want to add to it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
:confused::confused::confused: Maybe I've got it confused. I thought the Convenience Package was the heated seats, auto-dim mirror, and rear assist sensors.
Depends on the car.

I was thinking of the regular 500.

The 500C Lounge you only get the auto-dim mirror and heated seats.
I'm sure your dealer can add both at their Studio, but I can guarantee you that it will cost more than $450 to do so.

The 500C Pop doesn't even get a Convenience Group option.
Weird.

BC.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an espresso Pop 500C with the beige top. I couldn't justify 4K extra on Sirius, heated seats, and more chrome bits on the Lounge. The engines are the same but the sport I guess is "tuned" for sportier handling but I don't think it's that big of a difference. Just buy it stock and add mods afterwards.

The ride in the 500C is fun, I tried them all, but I really liked the cabrio version the best. Was never a fan of cabrio's until I met my Fiat but now the top is down at the slightest hint of sunshine. The top is easy enough to maintain, I park on the streets of SF so you can imagine how dirty it can get, obviously if you have a garage there's no problem. I just don't park under trees anymore because sap and birp poop is an issue. I have raggtop cleaner and it does a good job of keeping it looking clean. I really love this car, the 500C is awesome.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Or, if you are a big doofus like me, buy a spec'd out lounge and do it anyway. That way, you get to pay a premium price AND pay for all the other stuff you want to add to it.
I had to laugh after reading that. I was looking at a sport and ended up with a fully loaded Lounge and added 17" Enkei's with the purchase. Next year I'll probably lower it a bit.

I test drove the sport and the Lounge the difference in suspension feels marginal to me. I've pushed my Lounge pretty good and seems to handle fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sweet, nero. Have to admit, the beige top works with the black.

With you on the MINI. Brutal ride. MINI gave me a loaner, a non-S, when my convertible was in for service once, and I couldn't get over how much more pleasant the ride was without the cursed run-flats.

I'm leaning toward the cabrio. Don't miss the MINI ride but certainly do miss the convertible experience.

How often do you clean your ragtop to keep it 100%?
I clean the soft top only when the car needs washing and use Raggtopp cleaner which does an excellent job. Beige color not a much trouble as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I clean the soft top only when the car needs washing and use Raggtopp cleaner which does an excellent job. Beige color not a much trouble as I thought it would be.
Good to know. I'm not averse to having a beige top but I don't want it to look dirty, nor have to devote every weekend to keeping it clean. Then it just becomes a drag.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts