Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At full throttle in first gear, the engine seem to cut power above 6000 rpm. Not just a cessation of acceleration: I get tossed a bit forward in the seat! Almost like a soft rev limiter.

Is this normal? It's kind of a bummer because shifting at 6000 puts you a bit farther down in the power band than is optimal.

5-speed Sport in sport mode, fully warmed up, 900 km on the clock.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My redline is 6800 rpm. :confused: Max power is listed in the brochure as 101 hp @ 6500 rpm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My redline is 6800 rpm. :confused: Max power is listed in the brochure as 101 hp @ 6500 rpm.
Yep. Had same with my manual 500c. Added drop in air filter from 500madness and did oil change to Mobile One. Now can get to 6500 before the ECU cuts power.

Ciao

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Had same with my manual 500c. Added drop in air filter from 500madness and did oil change to Mobile One. Now can get to 6500 before the ECU cuts power.

Ciao
Thanks I'll look into that.

I also will try 91 octane gas my next fill. Yes, I'm guilty of cheaping out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Faster Fiat

I agree with you on the premium gas. I go all the way to BP 93 octane (yes, I know some think it's a myth, but I feel the difference).

I put up a thread on another Fiat 500 forum on getting the most speed out of her. Here's what I've tried. Got good feedback from others on that forum.

Man do I love this car. Have been trying to coax more acceleration out of my manual Pop. I just finished a 'joy ride' tonight and was literally amazed at how much zip and power the Fiat has now. I put the throttle down hard and it just flies past the traffic. My most recent changes were the High Flow Drop In air filter and the Mobile 1 oil. Hope someone else has the same configuration - If you do, please share what you are experiencing.

Here's what I think it takes to have a much Faster Fiat. Details further below.
1. Manual Transmission
2. Sport button on
3. Shift at high RPMs
4. High Flow Drop In air filter
5. Mobile 1 motor oil
6. Right brand of Premium Gas - Currently am using BP or Shell Premium gas

Manual Transmission - The only way to drive, if you want speed and acceleration.

I have used a shift most of my life so it's natural to me. Once I'm familiar with a car, I shift by sound not by tach. I've had my new Fiat in the shop for a couple fixes and driven a loaner Lounge. Seriously, I can't get any punch from the automatic - with sport on and with Dualogic shifting on. The Lounge just jerked through the gears for me. No smooth transition and the 'sling shot' effect, that tosses you forward, when you get the manual shifting working well.

Sport Button - We all know it helps by tightening the throttle response, etc.

Shifting at High RPM. 4000 to 6000. Thorough discussion earlier - lousy MPG but lots of fun.

High Flow Drop In Air Filter - I got mine from 500 Madness.

Like WIBOB said in the post, "Boy does the filter replacement make a big difference on acceleration. It was like I had the Sport Button pushed!"
Well... imagine how it feels when you DO have the Sport Button pushed! It also makes the engine roar, when you get above 4500 RPMs.

Note: If you decide to change it yourself, this post with pictures of a grande punto will give you an idea of how to do it. BUT, the 500 have much less room at the front of the car. Is a real struggle to wiggle the new filter into the airbox and get it seated correctly. Have a good metric socket set and a set of ratchet closed end metric wrenches is even better. There is very little room around the engine and the screw on the left is in an extremely cramped spot.

Mobile 1 motor oil - I read this post and had to try it. I think PE #389 is right.

"Hello guys,
I thought I should chime in on the oil change experience. PE #389 has now had three oil changes at the dealer. First two used dealer supplied oil which is a pennzoil synthetic blend. Car was fine, but when I decided to be less frugal and showed up at the dealership with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 (fully synthetic oil), I felt a huge change in the car after the service.

The engine is smoother and more lively- the revs are clear and clean toned. Gave the wife the car the next day and she called me to ask me...."What did you do with the car!" Jokes aside, the difference was almost night and day. For those of you who are keen on your engine's performance, I recommend you pass by COSTCO and get some 5W30 Mobil 1 before going to the dealer."

Chris has mentioned the Multivalve engine uses high pressure oil to adjust the valves, so there's speculation that Mobile 1 helps the engine run more precisely. One thing I also noticed, if you have Mobile 1 and the drop in air filter, you can rev closer to the red line and not have the drive-by-wire cut back on the throttle. Prior to adding Mobile 1 and the filter, I could rev quickly up to about 6000 and the Fiat would intervene. Now I get close to 6500.

Premium gas - some say it's urban myth to say there is a difference. But, I had used cheaper premium from a local chain and saw a big difference when I filled the tank with BP or Shell premium gas.

Good luck and Ciao.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Here's an article that suggests that while redline is @ 6750rpm the rev limiter on the car kicks in @ 6000rpm in 1st gear, @ 6500rpm in 2nd gear.

Don't know if this helps.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
765 Posts
Here's an article that suggests that while redline is @ 6750rpm the rev limiter on the car kicks in @ 6000rpm in 1st gear, @ 6500rpm in 2nd gear.
Makes sense since 1st gear will rev up past 6k in a fraction of a second

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That helps (and doesn't help**), ******! haha

**At least until somebody comes up with an ECU hack to get rid of this stupid "feature". :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts