Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 for my daughter's first car and was hoping for a simple issue and simple fix but the issue doesn't seem simple and I'm not sure of the fix.

The dash lights up until you turn the key, then it shuts off. The radio can be powered on and will stay on the entire time, so it's not losing power to start. It doesn't click, nor is there any sign that it would have in issue starting, it seems as if it's not getting signal at all. The windows won't go up or down, you can't put it into neutral unless doing the override, headlights won't turn on, nor turn signals. Basically all that works is the radio, dash until the key is turned (or times out at 10 seconds), interior lights, and hazards.

I'm thinking it could be the ECU, but wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar issue or issues?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
911 Posts
ECU is rarely the problem. You could need a proxi-alignment but I doubt it. Have you load tested the battery? How old is it? What part of the country are you in? Did you check and clean all grounds including UNDER the battery tray and at the starter bolts? All TSB's complied with at the dealer? Give them your VIN.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is brand new. It didn't have a battery when I bought it (today), so the battery should be good. I did check the 2 grounds and they look fine, didn't check anything with or around the starter yet, but I don't think the starter is the issue since a list of other things aren't working either. What do you mean by TSB's? I can call the dealer tomorrow and ask.

Also, I don't think it matters, but the ignition switch is new. So I'm guessing the not starting thing was the first thing to happen, and the previous owner thought it could be that; however, I do know that the window issue had to be there as well since the driver window was left down and the inside was exposed to the elements, which definitely wouldn't help anything.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm referring to the other grounds, not just the battery posts. This includes UNDER the battery tray and the connection to the starter (not the starter itself).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.