Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am not a fan of these in every application, poly serves a purpose in a few applications. I've worked with Powerflex in the past and a representative from the company will be bringing my questions about the new fiat 500 to England this week.

Powerflex were the only company to study the mini's front LCA in depth and understood that a typcial solid bushing would not work. In other words they seem to R&D products carefully.

I was particularly curious about the LCA on the 500...maybe some application for the rear as well. Stay tuned...

Removing some of the deflection in the LCA can help to tidy up camber and toe curves, vital to car control. The mini is very, very good in this area of handling; the front LCA point of restraint is a very large ball jooint, not a bushing and this is primarily responsible for the mini's accurate steering...and harshness to a degree.

·
Registered
393 Posts
so i guess your looking to take your 500 on the track. I've driven the 500 and it seems fine as is.

but vital things like LCA's are always worth upgrading. keep us posted on this!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't own one yet...waiting for the Abarth:)

I was impressed with the Sport versoin while driving through NYC for an hour this past weekend. I bit bouncy in the back end on a portion of the Henrey Hudson/9A but then anything that is somewhat stiff is.

I always say I am not going to the track with a particular car and eventually I end up there anyway.

I don't like to make big changes to my cars...the engineers are brighter than me. But bushings and a few other details can make a very big difference. But your point is well taken; minor changes to my mini turned the car into a very good track car...nothing major.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When do you think you'll have an answer from powerflex?

Since you don't have a car yet, I'm willing to test

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The gal I am working with is going to england next week and is bringing my questions about the new Fiat 500. I asked her to check out the Fiat 500 Owner's Club...I think there is sufficient interest at this stage.

When they began thinking about the mini I think it took a little over a year to get through R&D. The Mini's front lower control arm is a fairly complicated piece in operation...if the Fiat's is less so then the time to market may be shorter.

I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recieved a response from Powerflex..."...The 500 is actually on the Powerflex manufacturing list, but is not being produced quite yet. I would like to find out more about the US market."

I sent her the link for this site so powerflex can guage need/production/profit etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bringing this back to the top looking for an update.

I would like to get a set of powerflex bushings once I buy my Fiat. On my MINI, the powerflex control arm bushings are my favorite mod next to the rear-sway and camber plates. Very very profound difference. Looking forward to what it can do with the Fiat. (though I only test drove one 10 miles)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm looking into this as well... besides urethane suspension sway bar and suspension bushings, motor mount inserts have my interest too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts