Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been in for testing for the past couple days,

The guys at TWM performance have been sending me pictures of the product and have asked me to post them on the forums!

Let me know what you guys think!

I will have more pics and a video coming soon!

Pics:

Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500 Product Vehicle Product Auto part

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A small update, The full replacement shifter installed in the car, slight adjustments to be made, as well as new custom Bushings, I should have a revised version ready in the next week for some more road testing.

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Are these going to be priced sky high like current offerings? If so - I'll pass.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Are these going to be priced sky high like current offerings? If so - I'll pass.
It's pretty standard for an aftermarket short shift kit to be around 200-300. I browsed around tmw site and the Kits seem to be all priced in that range which i think is pretty reasonable

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quite a few upgrades are in the 300 dollar range and with a growing amount of suppliers/ manufactures.... The one who considers price could be the winner. (Dodgy engineering is not acceptable anymore.)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've had TWM products in other cars. Their products are top notch.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I suspect the short shifter will be about $250. Possibly a little more due to the limited number of 500s out there with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I also had their shifter in one of my previous cars, albeit a gift from one of the owners. Their products are top notch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to those with positive feed back, as for pricing I have no idea, A TWM representative will be in touch with me once the product is complete with a price. Please also note that this product is not simply a short shifter, it is a full replacement short shifter kit, As I said above many more details will follow, I am simply a happy customer offering my car to TWM as a test subject.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I installed mine with the Mazda. The instructions were thorough and while I had to remove some interior pieces, I wouldn't say it was hard. Just a little time consuming. Should be easier with the Fiat though. The shifter is high enough on the center of the dash to make it easy to reach. THe mazda was a PAIN because the mounting base sat so low in the car.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I suspect the short shifter will be about $250. Possibly a little more due to the limited number of 500s out there with manual transmissions.
The question now becomes...grab one of the two (looks like same product) being offered 'On Sale' for $299 plus shipping or hold off and risk the TWM being more than $324 plus shipping after 24 December when the others go OFF sale.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the full replacement TWM shifter on my Pontiac Vibe, it was a really solid peace of hardware. While it was expensive, it was also really good.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The question now becomes...grab one of the two (looks like same product) being offered 'On Sale' for $299 plus shipping or hold off and risk the TWM being more than $324 plus shipping after 24 December when the others go OFF sale.
more product offerings = competition. Don't be surprised if they are the same price @ $299. Maybe lower.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see a lot of you are comparing it to the other shifters on the market.
The thing is that this shifter is completely different from other products being
currently offered. Basically other companies are simply replacing the
shifter shaft and relocating the OEM cable pivot point.

TWM Performance is replacing the COMPLETE assembly inside the car. The
main reason for this is that when they brought my car in originally for
testing, they saw that the OEM shifter assembly had a huge amount of flex
in it when going through the gears. This is what is responsible for the
vague feeling in the shifter. So by completely replacing the assembly with
a Steel Cage, and engineering a short shifter and Cable Bushings to
function in conjunction with the Cage, all play and slack in the shifting
mechanism is gone.

Honestly, it's like comparing apples with oranges when I tried it...huge
difference over stock and I'm looking forward to trying the final
product!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hmm. I'd definitely have to try it before committing to buy anything. I have a short shifter in my Volvo, the original throws were so long.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I gotta say TWm makes some of the best shifter parts on the market.
After I get mine this will be a mod that goes in without question.

Thank you dumped500 for hitting the testing grounds with your car..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gotta say TWm makes some of the best shifter parts on the market.
After I get mine this will be a mod that goes in without question.

Thank you dumped500 for hitting the testing grounds with your car..
Thanks man, its not a problem, I have had other products for my past cars by TWM performance and I have been nothing but satisfied! This will be my first full replacement shifter and I am quite excited to have some fun with it.

The car is going back to TWM this Friday for some final testing and fitting, so more pictures and possibly a video to come by early next week!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts