Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a fiat 500 (2015) with a strange issue with the DRL. I saw an old post with a similar issue but without solution.
The car has the main beam separated from the dipped beam and I haven't got fog lights.
The front spot lamp includes the DRL and the main beam and it's the one i'm having problems with.

Description of the issue:
  • DRL ON, both sides works (full power, the 2 filaments lit on each bulb).
  • Dipped beam ON, the DRL is OFF on the driver side (UK) and ON on the other side (dimmed, with only 1 filament lit). An error then shows up on the dashboard due this light being OFF.

So far, I have tested the lamp and both filaments works (as i assumed that as with the DRL ON it works but just wanted to double check).
I have replaced the entire light fixture containing the 2 bulbs on the driver side as the DRL bulb holder did look a bit bad but that wasn't the issue

The connector that plugs in the fixture look fairly clean

Any ideas of where this cable is going to?
What could be happening?

Thanks!
Andres

·
Registered
980 Posts
Stupid question time... but did you replace the bulb or swap it to the other side? I once used an ohm meter to test a bulb and it showed OK, but it was shorted internally. The blinkers would work (2 filaments) but running lights (1 filament) were off. If it's not that, the DRLs are controlled by the body control module. I hope that isn't the cause because, unlike the BCM headlight problem, there's not a posted fix for for DRL problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

i tried swapping them with no luck. One was slighly dark so I decided to replace the 2 bulbs but it still has the same issue

i could probably look into the BCM if i have continuity from the bulb holder to the BCM. Is it difficult to dismantle? I’m an electronics engineer and i’m happy to have a look to it but i’d like to know where is the cable from the DRL connected to

·
Registered
13,605 Posts
The DRL connectors on the 500’s have known too get corroded. Check yours.
there is a company that sells replacement connectors. I’m not too sure if they would carry those for a European made 500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the whole light fixture which includes the DLR bulb holder. The connector that goes to this entire fixture with 2 bulbs is ok

·
Registered
13,605 Posts
Have you tried to hook up a code reader. Every function of the car, is run off software.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts