Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've got a whole laundry list of changes i want to make to my 2017 500e. Right now I'm getting well above the official EPA range out of the thing, which is great! But I also want to make some changes. Namely, a hitch (for a bike rack), a roof rack, and some mudflaps for the coming winter. In town I don't expect much of any change in range as a result of the aerodynamics, but am wondering what the impact might be for the rare times I go on the highway. Does anyone have any experience with this?

(And maybe it's not just aero but weight i need to factor in here, with the hitch in particular?)

I'm also looking at swapping the halogen lights with LEDs, I had read one study that suggested maybe a 5-6 mile range increase with that swap? Can anyone speak to that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, as far for the lights; you can calculate yourself...
Halogen 2x 50w=100W. LED will not be much less due to the fact that there is defective bulb check and you probably need resistors to dissipate heat to prevent error messages. But lets say this is not there, and you can save 80 watts in total. For argument sake lets say you can drive 4 hours in the dark with a full battery (20mph average?) This will save you 80wx4=320 watts. Battery is 24kwh (lets say 20kwh usable). 320/20000= 1.6% saving, in the udderly most ideal and unrealistic way.
not worth it...

weight.. I cant imagine that 15 pounds will save that much on the cars range as well..

try installing the bellypan. This will be significant win.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would expect a roof rack to be a noticeable hit on range at speeds over 40 mph. Maybe even lower. . .
Hitch alone without bikes or rack - I wouldn't expect much impact. That said, it all adds up.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,181 Posts
Agreed on all points, including rear belly pan. 2" of lowering has recently shown to improve highway range about 12-15%, so only 1" of lowering might give half that, or about the same as the rear belly pan.

My friend added an aero-bar Thule roofrack & didn't notice any range loss in the city. Thule specifies longitudinal "Short Roofline Adapter" bars, but it worked fine without them, by using a credit-card to flex open the rubber rear window seals & mount the rear crossbar a bit further aft.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
690 Posts
Well, as far for the lights; you can calculate yourself...
Halogen 2x 50w=100W. LED will not be much less due to the fact that there is defective bulb check and you probably need resistors to dissipate heat to prevent error messages. But lets say this is not there, and you can save 80 watts in total. For argument sake lets say you can drive 4 hours in the dark with a full battery (20mph average?) This will save you 80wx4=320 watts. Battery is 24kwh (lets say 20kwh usable). 320/20000= 1.6% saving, in the udderly most ideal and unrealistic way.
not worth it...

weight.. I cant imagine that 15 pounds will save that much on the cars range as well..

try installing the bellypan. This will be significant win.
LED headlamps are not a problem you do not need to run resistors the bigger problem is finding one that fits within the bulb housing and the behind it. I used one from Autoxixo it fit everything inside the headlights housing no issues. So far been 100% reliable and it’s been about 6 months and I drive a lot at night. The only cons is these things have a little fans and they could be loud sometimes on a quiet night I can hear what sounds like drones under my hood lol. It has to be very quiet to hear it but you can when it’s 430am and the car makes no engine noises.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
690 Posts
If you’re going to be doing any highway don’t put mudflaps that’s going to significantly reduce the range as that’s a huge aero drag. Any add-ons to the car that adds an appendage in the stream of air flow is going to play a part in the range so roof racks bike racks things like that that you cannot put in the inside of the car will definitely take a hit at highway speeds. Also keep in mind the range on cold days is going to be significantly less so don’t expect to have over the EPA average in the winters.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,181 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to mention that a folding bike inside is way lighter & more aero than a bike on a rear rack, let alone a roofrack.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to mention that a folding bike inside is way lighter & more aero than a bike on a rear rack, let alone a roofrack.
I can get my regular mountain bike inside just have to remove the front wheel and scoot the passenger seat up.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the thoughts and math! I can't put much in the car, I've got kids riding in the backseat more often than not. May hold off on the exterior accessories though based on the feedback here. For the belly pan, are you all talking about the oem pan from the gas version or the "EV upgrades" one?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks all for the thoughts and math! I can't put much in the car, I've got kids riding in the backseat more often than not. May hold off on the exterior accessories though based on the feedback here. For the belly pan, are you all talking about the oem pan from the gas version or the "EV upgrades" one?
The rear pan makes more of a difference then the front ones. The front is mostly diffuse most of the turbulence with that rubber air dam but the rear is basically a big pocket air gets trapped at highway speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
LED will not be much less due to the fact that there is defective bulb check and you probably need resistors to dissipate heat to prevent error messages.
Headlights are switched by a simple relay in the block under the hood. There is no any "diagnostics" on them. So, any lamp will fit. Certainly, without a FAN :) .

(Every computer nerd will say that Fans are the most unreliable parts in the modern electronics)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Headlights are switched by a simple relay in the block under the hood. There is no any "diagnostics" on them. So, any lamp will fit. Certainly, without a FAN :) .

(Every computer nerd will say that Fans are the most unreliable parts in the modern electronics)
Yeah sure if you want your LED headlamps to last more than a couple hours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts