Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at the thread of the new Abarth steering wheel and I thought o myself... what would it be like to have to shift with my left hand? Now, the vast majority of the world is right handed; I don't know the splits of manual drivers but I have to assume it is the same.

So what is it like to shift with your left hand? I am incredibly un-coordinated with my left hand, so I imagine it being quite difficult.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I'm not very coordinated with my left hand either. I wonder if maybe it would be easier to have someone in the passenger seat shift with their right hand, instead of me trying to shift with my left if I were driving a right hand drive car. I guess I'd just have to let them know when I'm stepping in the clutch :)

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok ill tell on myself this one time

I've done both of the above, shifted left handed from the passenger seat.

In college after a particularly fun party. Was in no shape to drive. our Designated driver could drive a stick but couldn't get the hang of my cars shifting (1969 vw bug) so he drove, and i shifted. no such thing as "Shifting under the infuence" Its not hard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have always changed gear with my left hand, If you had learned to drive in a manual RHD car it would just be natural.
I think it is better to have my strongest arm holding the wheel when I shift gears.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've driven both, and it's like driving on the left side of the road - it looks crazy, but it's second nature after about five minutes. Our bodies and minds are incredibly adaptable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The thought of driving a car that had all the contols on the "wrong" side made me nervous when I went to Ireland on vacation. Once around the rental car parking lt and I was good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts