Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure the manual says that upon leaving the car, I can press the inside door handle inward and the doors would be locked once I closed the door. Has anyone had luck with this? I can only seem to be able to lock the doors using the key fob once all doors are closed. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think if the key is to close to the ignition it wont let you lock it so you cant lock the keys inside. I noticed this at the dealership that thier car wouldn't lock, and know it was mentioned somewhere in the manuals I read. I know mine works if I get out with the key in my hand and push the door handle inward.

·
Registered
40 Posts
HERE it is:
"
NOTE:​
To prevent locking the key in the vehicle, the
power door lock switch will not operate when the key is
in the ignition and either front door is open. A chime will

sound as a reminder to remove the key."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tried it again. With the doors unlocked, and the key in my pocket and standing outside the car, I opened the drivers door and tried pushing the handle inwards towards the door liner. It does not lock the locks. If I press any harder I will break the handle. I tried it on the passenger door also. Seems weird that I can't get it to work if everyone else can?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I just tried it again. With the doors unlocked, and the key in my pocket and standing outside the car, I opened the drivers door and tried pushing the handle inwards towards the door liner. It does not lock the locks. If I press any harder I will break the handle. I tried it on the passenger door also. Seems weird that I can't get it to work if everyone else can?
I only managed to lock my door from inside the car with the doors both closed, otherwise I only have the fob option. I think when the door is open it will not engage the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To Tweak

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Not when I am in the car, when I am leaving the car and before closing doors. I'm pretty sure the manual says you can push in the handle to lock doors before closing. I feel better that you cannot either. I need to re-read the manual. Its just that I often get home in the early morning hours from work and pushing the keyfob makes the horn blow once. I've started using the key to lock it but it would be easier if I could push in the door handle. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
.... Its just that I often get home in the early morning hours from work and pushing the keyfob makes the horn blow once.

I think you can disable the 'horn beep'. try checking out your 'menu' on the dash and see if there isn't something that comes up about 'beep' setting. seemed like when I was setting my car up, I scrolled by this function. in fact, I think I'll go check it out later today when I wash my car. I want the 'horn beep' turned OFF as I find it annoying.

when I lock my car, just flash my lights and thats good enough for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, that is what I am talking about. Not when I am in the car, when I am leaving the car and before closing doors. I'm pretty sure the manual says you can push in the handle to lock doors before closing. I feel better that you cannot either. I need to re-read the manual. Its just that I often get home in the early morning hours from work and pushing the keyfob makes the horn blow once. I've started using the key to lock it but it would be easier if I could push in the door handle. Thanks again.

I just bailed my daughter out from locking her key in her car ( again). This time it was at a gas station a ways away. She has gotten into a bad habit of locking the door with the switch instead of the key out of sheer laziness and sure enough, when she got out of the car to pump gas she unconciously locked the door behind her. Station didnt have a slim jim so they had to wait for me to show up with spare key. AAA said an hour or more to get there and she couldn't prove she had AAA becuase her wallet was in the car too. Tied up the pump till I got there and they were not amused. They told me cops won't help them out any more. Private property and all that.

Supposedly the FIAT won't let this happen, but I'm just sayin....

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
ok...guess NOT. went through the menu and the 'beep' I found was for the volumn of the sound while working the menu. bummer......:(

·
Registered
530 Posts
I learned how to lock the car without having the keys or keyfob anywhere near,and the car ignition is off. If you open the door and hold handle in the open position while still holding the handle depress the lock on the inside till you see the red square like you would while running. It will lock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts