Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I found a fun little surprise today - I'm pretty sure my radiator top hose is leaking, as there seems to be some dampness around the hose in the molding marks in the plastic of the radiator, as well as a puddle of coolant on the inside of the fascia below with the excess dripping off to the ground.

It's genuinely hard to tell as there is so little space, but what I feel like I should do is simply place a worm gear clamp on the hose in place of the leaky OEM clamp. But how on earth do these OEM radiator hose clamps come off? They certainly look like they're meant to be single use.

My car is still under warranty, but I really hate to go waste 430 years in the service department when I'm fairly sure the beginning and end of the problem is this small. Anyone remove these before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Never use a worm screw clamp on a modern car. Their not good on the plastic inlets. Can crack them. A worm screw clamp,can cause uneven pressure, when tighten down. The OEM's are crimped on. Under warranty, quick fix, at the dealership.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep - my wife's was in the shop probably 4-5 times for leaking clamps. Have them replace them all and save yourself the headache.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there all, thanks for the advice! I do appreciate it!

I took the first poster's advice, and decided to take it to the dealership for a new OEM style clamp under warranty. They, too, told me a worm gear clamp was a bad idea on our cars. After 2.5 hours or so, it was done, and the leaks seemed to be gone. Imagine my surprise, then, when I found worm gear clamps in the place of every single OE clamp!

The moral of the story is probably that as long as you don't tighten the absolute **** out of the worm gear clamps, they're probably not going to hurt anything. I had used them before on the plastic inlets of Hyundai radiators without issue, as well, fwiw!

- Juliette

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Hey there all, thanks for the advice! I do appreciate it!

I took the first poster's advice, and decided to take it to the dealership for a new OEM style clamp under warranty. They, too, told me a worm gear clamp was a bad idea on our cars. After 2.5 hours or so, it was done, and the leaks seemed to be gone. Imagine my surprise, then, when I found worm gear clamps in the place of every single OE clamp!

The moral of the story is probably that as long as you don't tighten the absolute **** out of the worm gear clamps, they're probably not going to hurt anything. I had used them before on the plastic inlets of Hyundai radiators without issue, as well, fwiw!

- Juliette

Glad it was resolved but I find it concerning they state not to use those style fasteners only to turn around and then use them. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
My winter is very cold. I get a small puddle of coolant on the ground. i needed to have my radiator clamp replaced by the dealer. is it difficult to replace radiator clamp?

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
My winter is very cold. I get a small puddle of coolant on the ground. i needed to have my radiator clamp replaced by the dealer. is it difficult to replace radiator clamp?
Fast and easy, most likely will do it on their own rather than taking the time to let the dealer handle it under warranty. Only issue is the clamp type as I think somewhere it was mentioned certain types should NOT be used for this repair.
(I assume we are speaking of the overflow tank here)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, as suggested, the worm gear clamps don't fix the problem either. They have resolved it in warm weather but in the cold, they still leak. Alarmingly enough, one is leaking onto my HID ballast so I'm going to need to relocate that soon.

It'll be going back again... I really don't want it leaking simply because it's embarassing, any hazard aside.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Well, as suggested, the worm gear clamps don't fix the problem either. They have resolved it in warm weather but in the cold, they still leak. Alarmingly enough, one is leaking onto my HID ballast so I'm going to need to relocate that soon.

It'll be going back again... I really don't want it leaking simply because it's embarassing, any hazard aside.
That'd be the type I was referencing above. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
My coolant bottle was leaking from the hose clamp and they replaced the bottle and the clamp last year and it's leaking again.

Pretty silly when a car manufacturer can't even get something simple right like a coolant hose connection.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm wondering if it's not possible to find a hose in a slightly smaller diameter and just swap the hoses to try to correct the issue. I'm not willing to accept persistent leaks of anything, particularly coolant when I live in the desert.

·
Registered
27 Posts

So does this leak happens only during the cold season? I just noticed mine had similar leak on the top radiator hose / clamp lately.
It seems like a very tight spot to replace the clamp. Do they have to remove the front bumper to do this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I originally had the leak at the coolant reservoir, replaced the upper clamp with a worm hose clamp.. haven't seemed to have any problems with that leaking but now here we are with the upper radiator hose connection being leaky. I replaced the factory OEM clamp with a worm gear clamp eyeroll after seeing everyone saying theyre bad and crack the plastic. So i figured the plastic had cracked, went to replace the radiator, upon replacing noticed the bottom passenger tab on radiator was broken so the radiator was essentially just wiggling around maybe causing the leak. BUT HERE WE ARE AGAIN ITS STILL LEAKING. So either the clamp is too tight and cracked the plastic or its too loose and its leaking or i give up with this car. Its so embarassing to have a vehicle thats practically brand new leaking coolant after several attempts at fixing. On an incline it leaked on me after having the radiator replaced for a week, its parked flat today so well see if its the angle or not thats causing it. Sucks having to take the bumper off to fix this too. Back in the garage again :( if anyone has any advise or input please advise

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm wondering if it's not possible to find a hose in a slightly smaller diameter and just swap the hoses to try to correct the issue. I'm not willing to accept persistent leaks of anything, particularly coolant when I live in the desert.

Did this work for you, were you able to find a different hose that worked because this is driving me mad. We bought a new radiator, new hose, new clamps several times..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts