Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've got a leak somewhere in the cooling system -- possibly a leaky reservoir or a hose -- and want to drain the radiator before I start pulling hoses. Does anyone know where the radiator petcock is located, and how to access it?

Ciao and grazie,
TG

·
Registered
666 Posts
That question was asked a couple weeks ago and I was surprised to hear the car has a petcock. As I recall, it is towards the driver's side, bottom of the radiator, but you have to pull one of the trim pieces to reach it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I kept losing coolant at some point. I'd find little puddles of it after parking the car. I had the cooling system tested and no leaks were found.

My guess is that when the engine was cooling down after a heavy duty cycle the coolant hoses and their clamps were contracting and cooling at different rates (more slowly) than the hard coolant pipes they were connected to so there would be a moment or two of when a tiny gap would open up and let some coolant out.

knock on wood this problem stopped as mysteriously as it started. I've also had the coolant changed out twice since then. Once as part of regular service and once again as part of my timing belt/ water pump service.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bryan, did you check the overflow hose, tank and water level in the tank... and radiator cap? I remember a friend mentioning his doing this, years ago. He filled the overflow to near capacity. On a car of mine, it was either coming out the cap or the overflow hose, and on my sister's car the tank had a small crack.

Oh, and my co-worker found puddles and had it in for warranty work 3 times. It was after running the AC. <g> Checking the oil yesterday, I found the tank on my new car right at the bottom... took it in and had it topped off. I'll be watching it.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
You didn’t mention what year 500 you have. Early ones, coolant recovery canister developed leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts