Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
Absolutely one drain hole can plug, & overflow onto the other. Just open the hood, pour some water on the windshield below the wipers, & see where it comes out in front of the firewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I popped the hood and reached in to feel inside each of the black rubber drainage boots as the earlier poster described them. The passenger side had a leaf or two that I pulled out. The driver's side had quite a bit of leaves and debris.... but as I was cleaning it out I accidentally pushed he boot upward and into the cavity! Oops. Now I can't reach up there to grab it and pull it back down into the hole. I'm not sure what negative effect this could have, and I'm also not sure how to access that from the top. It does not appear trivial.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
At least one of my boots (the left) has been popped up out of place for a long time. Probably since I bought it, & it has stayed dry inside in pouring rain, parked AND driving. It's possible that even HELPS the water flow in a slightly different path which doesn't leak in.

In other words, if I were you I'd be tempted to leave it & see what happens, or maybe just pour some water in, see where it could leak inside, & check that it doesn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoping someone may have advice or a pointer...

Found wet padding/carpet in the driver's side footwell. Must have been there for a while, but recent heavy rains made it obvious (heavy fogged windows and visible water under floot mat). After drying it out carefully (pulled up carpet+pad and used towels and blowing air under the foam padding), water has returned with the rains again. So it is definitely rain water, and an overnight rain added approximately a half cup of water, so not caused by driving (i.e. wheel well splash).

I looked all around the floor pan (lifing the entire carpet+pad, and the only place wet is the area just in front of the seat mount pedestal, mostly closer to the center console. I can't see any way the water is getting there, with the possible exception of through a floor seam. No stream trails or evidence of water anywhere in the cabin. The firewall and rocker panel areas are bone dry, so not the usual hood hinge or pillar area. :confused:

The only clue at this point is the padding seems wet where it climbs up toward the center console. Has anyone ever heard of a water leak under or near the center console area?

Thanks!
I have fiat 500 2012, and have just discovered this leak. So, well, that is why I am here on this forum. Trying to figure out my options, and how 'common' this problem is. Wish me a good luck.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
If you haven't already done so, open the hood, pour some water on the windshield below the wipers & see if it looks like the video here: Rain water ingress

If so try just taping a little sheet of plastic to deflect the drainage away from the firewall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you haven't already done so, open the hood, pour some water on the windshield below the wipers & see if it looks like the video here: Rain water ingress

If so try just taping a little sheet of plastic to deflect the drainage away from the firewall.
Thank you. I will try couple of options before I go back to mechanic. I will keep you posted. And I forgot to mention: of course I live in Portland, Ore. and only have option of street parking. Fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Further to this, my daughters Fiat 500 had a lot of water in the drivers footwell (UK drivers side, we drive on the left hand side of the road, the naturally correct side!) so I pulled it apart and found the aircon exit hose leaked, I cleaned it up and put i back together with silicone sealant. The aircon exit hose is easy to get to, just two allen bolts and 1 torx screw on the front lower of the centre consol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was an easy fix. I removed both wipers. I then removed the cover to the windshield drain tray. There were 3 push screws with a pin in the center. I pulled these out and removed the tray. It became apparent that the drain in the tray, which was now visible was clogged with debris from the tree I have parked under for 6 years. Once I removed the debris, the water still in the tray drained out. I noticed some debris in the air intake just to the left and above the drain. This allows fresh air into the HVAC system. The level is lower than the top of the tray so the the water will overflow into the air intake and drain out into the passenger side footwell heat duct. That explained why there was just water on the passenger side. I really cleaned out the drain, which just drains into the engine compartment, and also the entire tray. There was also some debris in the tray on the driver side but it is very hard to get to. I shop vacuumed the carpet and turned on the heat for a few hours with the windows cracked. I am now praying it dries out well and doesn't mildew.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts