Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Two issues I'm looking for some advice for if y'all don't mind.

Firstly, I have this really strange issue where the brakes (I think) randomly squeal. The reason I think it's the brakes is because if I apply medium pressure, the sound goes away for a while. Another bizarre one is the sound will be more pronounced when turning right. Any ideas? I'm just worried it's a wheel bearing but figured that'd be non stop squealing if that were the case.

Secondly, I'm trying to figure out if I have that stupid PCV issue. I've noticed I can randomly smell burning oil and today when stopping, I saw a bit of smoke come out from under the hood. Is there anywhere I should look for oil? I couldn't find anything but not sure where the usual suspect areas would be. I've also replaced the PCV valve but didn't replace the o ring. I think I'm going to do that anyway, but wanted some advice.

Thanks so much!

P.S. - I have a 2014 500 Abarth, bone stock, 51k miles. Bought it with 43k 4 months ago... Job requires a lot of travel. 馃檮

Registered
Go to the dealer and buy a new PCV box O-ring. $5ish or go to ACE Hardware. That's the first most likely place to leak out all over the top of the valve cover and down onto the spark plug holes on the driver's side. I would replace that O-ring at every spark plug change since everything would already be apart. It's the piece that seals between the PCV box and valve cover.
What is the car's maintenance history?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I just did a little more digging around and found oil, but not near or down the spark plug holes. See attachments. Any ideas?

As far as history, from the CarFax I got, it only shows the following "non-normal-maintenance" items:
  • Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
  • PCM reprogrammed
  • Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
  • Steering/suspension checked
  • Trunk release switch/cable/handle replaced
  • Body electrical system checked
It doesn't show any major maintenance.

Attachments

Registered
Can't tell you. Somebody else can chime in.
In the first picture, above the chrome piece, to the left is a triangular piece. Under that is where the O-ring is. That plastic box would need to be removed. Valve cover looks okay as far as I can see. Check your owner's manual for service intervals and follow religiously. Clean full synthetic oil is Critical to operation of this type of engine. Keep that in mind. I'd pull a spark plug and check it's condition too. Delayed mx on these cars is a BIG no-no.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I pulled that off when I replaced the PCV valve and cleaned the **** out of it. The o-ring looked fine when I had it off but that doesn't mean anything... I may just go ahead and get a replacement o-ring just in case. But that is odd oil isn't on the valve cover.

Oh and as far as oil, every single time the light comes on, I replace it. I use Valvoline Euro blend full synthetic.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It looks like it is the stupid PCV o-ring... The only cylinder with a wet with oil top is the right one. Okay thank you for the advice. Oh and the plugs look great.

Now any ideas on the squealing noise?

[EDIT] I forgot to add that if anyone has a leaky boy, make sure that o-ring isn't flat... Mine is completely flat. It ain't supposed to be like that! $7 at Patterson Dodge here in Marshall, TX. Part number is MOPAR 4893446AB. They didn't have it in stock but it's arriving tomorrow. Free freight. Heck of a lot faster than ordering it online...

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Just found that. I'll check those things (rotor backing plate bent, gravel stuck, and re-bedding the pads) and report back.

Registered
O-ring was redesigned I suppose to hold up better. I paid $5ish at Fiat. Next time I went to ACE Hardware. 1 x 1 3/16 x 3/32. #56 R-63 O-ring.
.79 cents each.

Registered
Really helpful post here - thanks @Fabio13 and @pinesmith. I had a similar issue last winter and replaced the PCV. I put silicon sealant around the O-ring of the PCV, but I think I'll spring for a $.79 O-ring after reading this :cool:

Registered
What is that chrome thing? Is that some sort of filter?

As for the brake squealing can you tell which one? From the factory, I think it's assembly issue, but rear brake calipers often tends to get stick. Also, OEM disc materials are frankly subpar, so you may have a sticky caliper or warped disc or something like that. You can test it fairly well if you lift the car and just rotate the tires. But I don't like that it's more pronounced during right hand turn, that makes me thing that the wheel bearing is on its way out. But which one is making the noise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts