Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also, I would say that those SOH numbers are not "normal" for a car with 37,000 miles. Whether they are messed up because of past treatment of the battery causing damage or messed up because past treatment screwed up the measurements, it is hard to say without more information. I know for my car, my SOH numbers have behaved as I would expect and I have no reason not to believe they are more or less correct.

To get an idea of your true SOH-C, bring the battery down to true zero and measure how many kWh you put back in as ETS suggested.
For the SOH-R value, I'm not sure of a good way to check this. One thought is to measure you acceleration times and compare that to values published by others. If the battery resistance is high, then you would expect to see reduced current capability and lower acceleration times.

FWIW.

·
Registered
134 Posts
SOH values are calculated based on AmpH.

AmpH is a derivative value, based on average current consumption, which directly depends on the weather, your routes and how heavy is your foot.

It can go both up and down. The only meaningful use of it is to check if your kids were racing too much during the last month - this would drive the AmpH down :)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
SOH values are calculated based on AmpH.
If this is true, it could explain why SOH & AmpH values from OBD are often* so unreliable.

The faster you draw power from a battery, the more energy is wasted as heat, so any battery will supply less AmpH (or kWh) when discharged fast, & more kWh when discharged slow**.

Driving so slow that discharge is very slow, available kWh will increase, possibly even higher than the original specs. That would explain readings of "100%" after tens of thousands of miles. However when "kids" like me ;) are racing "too much" :devilish: the higher discharge speeds, will make it read unrealistically low.

So I wonder why OBD wouldn't simply measure the capacity while charging, like we now do. At that time the current flow is relatively stable at either 1.4 or 6.6kW (L1 or L2). While driving it can oscillate from 83kW discharge when floored, to 72kW charge on regen.

*Kiesling's may be more reliable if his driving habits consistently match the EPA test.
**A more knowledgeable member may view this as overly-simplistic, but I believe it is at least valid as an analogy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, I would say that those SOH numbers are not "normal" for a car with 37,000 miles. Whether they are messed up because of past treatment of the battery causing damage or messed up because past treatment screwed up the measurements, it is hard to say without more information. I know for my car, my SOH numbers have behaved as I would expect and I have no reason not to believe they are more or less correct.

To get an idea of your true SOH-C, bring the battery down to true zero and measure how many kWh you put back in as ETS suggested.
For the SOH-R value, I'm not sure of a good way to check this. One thought is to measure you acceleration times and compare that to values published by others. If the battery resistance is high, then you would expect to see reduced current capability and lower acceleration times.

FWIW.
Oke.. Well again thank you for looking in to it and so much response.
For us in the Netherlands is the 500E "new". So we have to learn a lot.
Next week i have 2 day's off and will give my wife my Alfa Romeo so i can goto zero with the 500E.
And when it's on zero i need to get it on the mode where te battery comes in and say's only 12V availeble right?

I can stay driving cirkles in my village. i have every 200-300 meter a chargerpoint here. When it goes to zero and the 12v "mode" can you still push the car when it's nescerry :p?

·
Registered
209 Posts
No need to keep driving around. Once the gauge goes to zero just park and turn on the AC and lights and let it sit until the auxiliaries shut off on their own. That's when you know the battery system is fully empty.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
633 Posts
Does anyone know if pushing is a option once battery is exhausted? I know Tesla you can’t move the car ones it’s done it has to be forced onto a flatbed. I’ve seen them get towed with wheels dragging onto the flatbed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Auxiliaries do not shut off when the HV battery is empty - they keep running. Instead, have a multimeter and measure the voltage at 12 V battery terminals.

Once the DC-DC converter shuts off (meaning, flat HV battery), the voltage drops below 14 V (to 12.8 V or anything that you have in your 12 V).

The time between 0 % on the dash to DC-DC shutoff is about 2.5 hours (with defroster, fan and all the possible lights on).

@twinturboz it seems it is an option. When I released the brake on empty HV, the car started rolling downhill, although the "D" or "R" was on. Once it's flat, the wheels are apparently released.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
when it's on zero i need to get it on the mode where the battery comes in and say's only 12V availeble right?
Yes, you need to take the HV battery to 0.00% on OBD, which is reportedly when the motor will no longer propel the car, slightly before the DC-DC cutoff when the 12V battery will suddenly drop from 14.xx v to 12.xx volts on OBD or multimeter. Without either of the latter, you'd have to wait for the 12V batt to drop all the way to 10V for it to activate the warning on the speedo display.

Auxiliaries do not shut off when the HV battery is empty - they keep running.
Reportedly, A/C doesn't actually work after the car's gauge hits 0%, & neither does heat, but the lower-power vent fan works, and rear/mirror defog, low-beams-with-fogs, dome light, hazards, hatch light (& windows & wipers, but I don't recommend those!). Still, as reported above, it can take over 2 hours to go from 0% on the gauge to the required 0.00% on OBD, so driving around a LEVEL PARKING LOT would work, or better yet a sloped one with a charger at the low end.

Alternatively you could get the free AlfaOBD "demo" app & a $19 eBay dongle.

Then you can drive past 0% on the car's gauge, drive around a charger's parking lot until it's near 0.00% on OBD, stop, turn everything that works on, & then plug in after OBD hits 12.xxV.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Does anyone know if pushing is a option once battery is exhausted?
If the transmission ends up in Park, the parking pawl will be set and you won't be able to push the car. See the section "Manual Park Release" in the manual for instructions how to release it — requires getting under the car with a wrench.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From what I could remember my AC and fan shut off about an hour after the gauge went to zero. It still showed about 2-3 Ah remaining at that point.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
So it seems like auxiliaries shut down incrementally as the drive battery discharges past 0% on the gauge, taking longer to reach the required 0.00% on OBD. This would tempt me to keep driving until reaching the latter, HOWEVER...:

If the transmission ends up in Park, the parking pawl will be set and you won't be able to push the car.
THANK YOU!!

If you try to save time by driving ALL the way to 0.00% OBD, at your own risk, once you approach that, you can unlatch your seat belt to deactivate auto-park.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the transmission ends up in Park, the parking pawl will be set and you won't be able to push the car. See the section "Manual Park Release" in the manual for instructions how to release it — requires getting under the car with a wrench.
I can confirm otherwise. I was discharging the car past DC-DC with the handbrake on and transmission in P. Then I pressed D, released the handbrake and the car started rolling.

Maybe the pawl has a 12 V actuator then?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts