Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust (front end) developed a metallic, raspy exhuast sound since about 4000-5000 kilometers. It doesn't occur on all driving ocassions or in all conditions.

Usually if the revs hang around 2500-3000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, it will cause this sound. Sometimes, not until I let off the gas.

Sounds like a rice-can muffler or worse.

Normal, or exhaust leak?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I am now at over 6K and maybe 1K ago I switched the exhaust configuration, before the change there was no raspy sound changes that came about for me, sounded the same as it started out up till I changed it out. Luckily the warranty should cover the problem if there is one, hopefully you can get into your studio and have them take a look at it soon. Good luck and maybe some others will have some ideas but for me this situation did not occur.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My little issues are piling up. Gotta get to the dealer soon. I refuse to call it a 'studio'. It's a chrysler dealership with chrysler technicians.
Hope they resolve them all, guess I am getting used to using the "studio" reference from reading here so much...I agree though, just a Chrysler Dealership. :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My little issues are piling up. Gotta get to the dealer soon.
I
refuse to call it a 'studio'. It's a chrysler dealership with chrysler technicians.
Not looking to start an argument. Your Studio may be as you state, but not all of them are. My Studio is staffed by people who worked at the Mini dealership and the Service Manager was a Mini Maintenance Tech (Mechanic) at the same Mini dealership. The sales people don't act like American car dealership salesmen and the very small, two lift service department communicates on a very personal level. I'm VERY satisfied with my Studio: Fields Fiat of Orlando.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I am now at over 6K and maybe 1K ago I switched the exhaust configuration, before the change there was no raspy sound changes that came about for me, sounded the same as it started out up till I changed it out. Luckily the warranty should cover the problem if there is one, hopefully you can get into your studio and have them take a look at it soon. Good luck and maybe some others will have some ideas but for me this situation did not occur.
I noticed this after my exhaust change yesterday, sounds like a heat shield rattle of sorts and it is between 2500-3000 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I noticed this after my exhaust change yesterday, sounds like a heat shield rattle of sorts and it is between 2500-3000 rpm.
Odd, no such rattle I have noticed, original poster has made no changes but I wondered if it were possible the shield is making some noise but I didn't see much shielding under there. (I literally only glanced, almost certain I missed it entirely from the angle and quick look)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have this rattle as well... I'm not quite sure what it is,
Watch my wife leave for work, and it's there for sure. I have to get her to rev the car so I can nail down where it's coming from because it did not do that in the shop when the pipe was swapped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts