Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllllo, I sure could use some help here. My 19 year old daughter saved her money and purchased a 2012 cute Fiat 500 Sport last night. On the way home, the check engine light came on, the car began to lose power, and there is a rattling noise with vibration (seems to louder/rattle intermittently) Today is a holiday, so we can't take the car back for service. Can you tell me what problems are typically associated with the problems. I was thinking of taking it to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic. We have 30 days to return the car for a refund. Thanks and please answer if you can.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Welcome to this forum. If your engine check light went on. There’s something wrong with the engine. The car, went into limp mode. The losing of power. The only way to diagnose the issue. Is to hook up a code reader. Pull some engine management codes. Those will indicate the problem. I personally wouldn’t drive the car. Have towed to the service center.

Good Luck, it probably something simple.

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
99 Posts
@Taty

You wrote that the dealer you purchased it from has a 30 day warranty on the car.

OK - so call them on Monday, explain what occurred, and ask him how he wants to remedy it.

To clarify - No use keeping the dealer out of the loop, absorbing towing and diagnosis costs on your own, and assuming that he will reimburse you.

Choosing that route will probably lead to the argument - "why didn't you call me? I have a guy that does all my diagnosis and a guy that tows for me"?!?!

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much. I thought about going to an independent mechanic for a diagnosis just to determine if there were any major existing issues the dealer might be hesitant to divulge. I would hate to have a quick fix and there are other serious problems with the car. I planned to take it back to the dealer for repairs. Thanks again, I will keep you posted. Have a great day

1 - 4 of 4 Posts